Catastrophic Failure

/ Catastrophic Failure
Well looking at the attachments it is a spring/check ball set up. It has to freely move to release hyd pressure. It has been suggested it might not have done that correctly

Thanks, DFB I'll take a look when I get it back.

/ Catastrophic Failure
I stopped by the welding shop Saturday morning and got bad news, the housing can't be welded or brazed. The shop owner said they tried several different things but as soon as they put any amount of heat to it the casting got hard and brittle. So on to plan "B".

I've been scowering the internet for salvage yards that have L2900s and found 3 so far. 2 were closed on Saturday but the 3rd has the part and want a little over 1/2 price of a new one. They also want the core back which means I'll have to pay freight twice between California and Iowa. I'll try the other yards today and see what they have to offer, both are closer to home too.

/ Catastrophic Failure #63  
I stopped by the welding shop Saturday morning and got bad news, the housing can't be welded or brazed. The shop owner said they tried several different things but as soon as they put any amount of heat to it the casting got hard and brittle. So on to plan "B".

I've been scowering the internet for salvage yards that have L2900s and found 3 so far. 2 were closed on Saturday but the 3rd has the part and want a little over 1/2 price of a new one. They also want the core back which means I'll have to pay freight twice between California and Iowa. I'll try the other yards today and see what they have to offer, both are closer to home too.

That sucks.. quite often cast will have so much oil in the pores that it's un-weldable too. If you knew for sure which other tractors used the same casting it would open up the scrapyard horizon quite a bit.

How much is the core charge? If they decide the old one is scrap metal you may lose that after paying for shipping, which would be a slap in the face. Might be better to tell them it's no good up front, eat the core charge and save the shipping. Just my thoughts, obviously.

Sean

/ Catastrophic Failure #64  
Around here, when you buy auto parts from a wrecker, the most you will pay is 50% of new and then down from there as the vehicle gets older. I know its cars not tractors, but I would expect the same. 60% plus core plus shipping both ways, probably cheaper to go new.

/ Catastrophic Failure
That sucks.. quite often cast will have so much oil in the pores that it's un-weldable too. If you knew for sure which other tractors used the same casting it would open up the scrapyard horizon quite a bit.

How much is the core charge? If they decide the old one is scrap metal you may lose that after paying for shipping, which would be a slap in the face. Might be better to tell them it's no good up front, eat the core charge and save the shipping. Just my thoughts, obviously.

Sean

He wasn't sure on the core price after I told him mine was cracked, I thought the same thing, eat the core charge and save the shipping. I looked up freight on UPS and its $72 one way, USPS will do it for $28 so I could at least save a little on return freight.

I've been trying to find out what other models use this cylinder, My service manual covers L2900, L3300, L3600 and L4200 so I downloaded the pdfs for them and they all use a the same cylinder, just not the same one as the L2900. I spoke to a yard in Alabama this morning, they have an L2900 and would be willing to sell me just the housing, no internals but needed to check it out before shooting me a price.

/ Catastrophic Failure
This experience has been an education. I'm discovering that a cracked hydraulic cylinder case is not as uncommon as I first beleived.

This particular case was used on the L2900, L3010, L3410, L3710 and L4310 (WARNING: Owners of these models may begin to experience feelings of paranoia while operating their 3pt, this is normal) and 4 of the 5 salvage yards that I have spoken to that had one or more of these models have told me that the case is either cracked or missing (sold). I've got 2 more yards to check but it's sounding like I'm going to have to pay to ship the one I found in California. (insert big sigh here).

/ Catastrophic Failure #67  
This experience has been an education. I'm discovering that a cracked hydraulic cylinder case is not as uncommon as I first beleived.

This particular case was used on the L2900, L3010, L3410, L3710 and L4310 (WARNING: Owners of these models may begin to experience feelings of paranoia while operating their 3pt, this is normal) and 4 of the 5 salvage yards that I have spoken to that had one or more of these models have told me that the case is either cracked or missing (sold). I've got 2 more yards to check but it's sounding like I'm going to have to pay to ship the one I found in California. (insert big sigh here).

What is a new part worth??

/ Catastrophic Failure #69  
Pitbull somewhere along the line here you gave some thought to the damage being from physical 3 point abuse and at first you didnt think that was a possiblity do you have reason to believe otherwise now and that it not a pressure failure?

/ Catastrophic Failure
Pitbull somewhere along the line here you gave some thought to the damage being from physical 3 point abuse and at first you didnt think that was a possiblity do you have reason to believe otherwise now and that it not a pressure failure?

I asked all the yards if they had any insight into what would cause the part to fail and they all said the same thing, safety relief valve. So regardless of whether I buy a new case or a used one, the safety relief is getting replaced too.