Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
    Tractor
    Kubota BX2360

It may be worthwhile bringing it to another welding shop to see if they can repair it. I worked with a guy once who could repair cast iron cracks when everyone else said it couldn't be done. No disrespect to your welder but another opinion could save you some money.
    2011 BX2360, FEL, 60" mmm, 50" snowblower
    2004 Cub Cadet RZT50
    1994 Cub Cadet 1641, 48" mmm

I doubt that it will be cost effective to have that properly welded. To get an effective full penetration weld will at a minimum require the cylinder to be remachined and likely welded from inside the cylinder also. I would think 4-5 hrs easy with no guarantee that it will hold.

Tractor
    1998 Kubota L2900GST

Default Re: Catastrophic Failure

Well, after contacting nearly a dozen salvage yards, only 2 have the case, the second one wants $450 for just the case and $650 with the internals . I decided to bite the bullet and called MyersWardTractor.com in California and told them I wanted the part.

$350 for the part, $75 freight and $100 core charge (recovered when I return the old part).
    Curt
    "No man, having put his hand to the plow, and looking back, is fit for the Kingdom of God" - Luke 9:62

Tractor
    Kubota BX2350

I don't understand why they want the old part back when its ruined. It doesn't make sense.

Where in SE Iowa are you? I'm located in Macomb Il.
    Dave,
    BX2350

Tractor
    1998 Kubota L2900GST

Quote Originally Posted by dodge man View Post
    I don't understand why they want the old part back when its ruined. It doesn't make sense.

Where in SE Iowa are you? I'm located in Macomb Il.
    Makes no sense to me either, I'm going to try negotiating it with them when they call tomorrow. My guess is if you don't return the part, they're up $100.

I'm in Burlington, how much snow did you end up with last night? We got about an inch of frozen slush.
    Curt
    "No man, having put his hand to the plow, and looking back, is fit for the Kingdom of God" - Luke 9:62

Tractor
    '10 Kioti DK 40se/hst KL-401 FEL, loaded tires, KB-2485 bhoe, Tuffline TB160 boxblade, Woods QA forks, MIE Hydraulic bhoe thumb & ripper tooth, Igland 4001 winch, & GR-20 Log Grapple. Woods BBX72" Mower. Diamondplate aluminum canopy.

Seems to me I'd want a new case, not a welded or junk one- the junk yard one has a real risk of the same thing happening if there has been any excessive pressure inside it prior to it being junked for other reasons. Not to say it has had a presence of overpressure, BUT do you really want to put a used case and new PRV in your tractor only to have it fail (possibly) not too far down the road? It seems like a $ and frustration nightmare waiting to happen. Then you have to do the same thing all over again?!
    I'd want to go with new and peace of mind for the extra expense. JMHO
    BTW, that's why they are called junk yards. Your decision- obviously, good luck with whatever you conclude- just playing devil's advocate here to level the choices out.
    2010 DK-40se/hst, Kioti KL-401 FEL, (with reversible Kioti cutting edge), 72" Ratchet Rake. Fit Rite Top-N-Tilt hydraulics & diverter valve. HLA Series 2000 7' snowplow, Aquiline MPC rear chains.

Scag Wildcat: Kawasaki 26HP, with bagger system. Dr. brush mower, & 42" lawn deck, Dr. self propelled, 6.5HP Trimmer mower. Pro-Mow 3 gang mower, no HP.

Bunch of STIHL chainsaws: 011x 2, MS192T, MS200T, MS180C, MS230, MS270 (Wood Boss), 038 Farmboss, '86 anniversary edition.

Tractor
    MF 1635 12x12 Powershuttle

Quote Originally Posted by Coyote machine View Post
    Seems to me I'd want a new case, not a welded or junk one- the junk yard one has a real risk of the same thing happening if there has been any excessive pressure inside it prior to it being junked for other reasons. Not to say it has had a presence of overpressure, BUT do you really want to put a used case and new PRV in your tractor only to have it fail (possibly) not too far down the road? It seems like a $ and frustration nightmare waiting to happen. Then you have to do the same thing all over again?!
    I'd want to go with new and peace of mind for the extra expense. JMHO
    BTW, that's why they are called junk yards. Your decision- obviously, good luck with whatever you conclude- just playing devil's advocate here to level the choices out.
    I agree, and with any luck kubota has beefed that area up on the new parts.
    Thanks,

Will

I do not care if someone's net nanny is watching!! You need to stop...

Tractor
    Kubota BX2350

Quote Originally Posted by PitbullMidwest View Post
    Makes no sense to me either, I'm going to try negotiating it with them when they call tomorrow. My guess is if you don't return the part, they're up $100.

I'm in Burlington, how much snow did you end up with last night? We got about an inch of frozen slush.
    We got about the same amount of snow. It came down really hard for a while but the ground was so warm a lot of it melted. Sounds like we may get quite a bit of snow tommorow. Good luck with the tractor.
    Dave,
    BX2350

Tractor
    Kubota BX2200

Quote Originally Posted by WilliamBos View Post
    I agree, and with any luck kubota has beefed that area up on the new parts.
    Agreed. I would even go a bit further and start talking to the Kubota people to see if this is the case. Or what they have changed on newer versions to keep it from happening. You want to fix it better then new if you can.

Tractor
    1998 Kubota L2900GST

Quote Originally Posted by 3v0 View Post
    Agreed. I would even go a bit further and start talking to the kubota people to see if this is the case. Or what they have changed on newer versions to keep it from happening. You want to fix it better then new if you can.
    I gave a great deal of thought to new vs used, but in the end I bought used. The biggest factor is cost, used is half price and I was able to negotiate the core charge from $100 to $25, return shipping via USPS is $28 so I'll just eat the core charge.

I strongly believe now that the failure was due to over pressure from a failed safety relief not from over pushing with the 3pt (they hadn't pushed with the 3pt at all the day of the failure), even a new part would fail if the safety fails. Also,someone suggested that there was a reason they're called "junk" yards, well I've bought alot of parts from junk yards in my life and just because a vehicle is junked doesn't mean every part of it is junk, IMHO.

That's it for now
    Curt

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast