Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast
    Tractor
    1998 Kubota L2900GST

Default Catastrophic Failure

My son and brother in law were cutting and burning trees last week and were using my L2900GST to push the trees into the burning pile. All was well until they heard a load "bang" and the 3ph dropped and oil began gushing from under the seat .

By the time I got home from work they had the front access plate off and it didn't look good. My BIL got his JD3020 and we pulled my tractor up to his machine shed (every JD owners dream)and we pulled the operator station. Long story short, the hydraulic cylinder assembly housing had cracked from one side to the other. Priced new it's a $700 part plus labor and transport. We're going to remove it ourselves to save some money and see if it can be welded.

My dealer says he's never seen this happen before and asked what they were doing at the time of failure. That's whats odd, they weren't "doing" anything. They had been working the tractor all day without any problems. Transmission wasn't slipping, the loader was responsive, everything was "normal" so as far as we know the hydraulic oil level was good. They said they had taken a break and came back and started the tractor and hadn't even put it in gear when "bang' and oil started gushing.

Before anyone suggests that my BIL was abusing the tractor, let me just say that he treats it better than I do and I don't abuse it because I don't like $700 repairs.

Anyway, all theories as to what may have caused the failure will be entertained.
    Curt
    "No man, having put his hand to the plow, and looking back, is fit for the Kingdom of God" - Luke 9:62

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    L3700SU

Default Re: Catastrophic Failure

I bet a JD owner was jealous and sabotaged it when no one was looking !

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L4240, B7800 & BX2660

Can you get a picture of it?

Tractor
    1998 Kubota L2900GST

Quote Originally Posted by Leejohn View Post
    Can you get a picture of it?
    Sure, we hope to able to pull it this weekend. His shop is unheated and it's 4 degrees today and high tomorrow is only in the teens. The spirit is willing but...
    Curt
    "No man, having put his hand to the plow, and looking back, is fit for the Kingdom of God" - Luke 9:62

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 4100 HST /410 FEL, R4s

Were they pushing with the 3 point?

Quote Originally Posted by PitbullMidwest View Post
    My son and brother in law were cutting and burning trees last week and were using my L2900GST to push the trees into the burning pile. All was well until they heard a load "bang" and the 3ph dropped and oil began gushing from under the seat .

By the time I got home from work they had the front access plate off and it didn't look good. My BIL got his JD3020 and we pulled my tractor up to his machine shed (every JD owners dream)and we pulled the operator station. Long story short, the hydraulic cylinder assembly housing had cracked from one side to the other. Priced new it's a $700 part plus labor and transport. We're going to remove it ourselves to save some money and see if it can be welded.

My dealer says he's never seen this happen before and asked what they were doing at the time of failure. That's whats odd, they weren't "doing" anything. They had been working the tractor all day without any problems. Transmission wasn't slipping, the loader was responsive, everything was "normal" so as far as we know the hydraulic oil level was good. They said they had taken a break and came back and started the tractor and hadn't even put it in gear when "bang' and oil started gushing.

Before anyone suggests that my BIL was abusing the tractor, let me just say that he treats it better than I do and I don't abuse it because I don't like $700 repairs.

Anyway, all theories as to what may have caused the failure will be entertained.
    Here is my shoot from the hip response since nobody has offered anything other than ill informed green vs orange silliness. The safety valve for the 3-pt failed. It is supposed to relieve excess pressure in the 3-pt cylinder when it is overloaded or as I suspect the oil in the cylinder got too hot and had no place to expand so it broke stuff instead.

Brian

Tractor
    1998 Kubota L2900GST

Quote Originally Posted by DFB View Post
    Were they pushing with the 3 point?
    Nope,just the bucket
    Curt

Tractor
    Massey Ferguson GC2400

Quote Originally Posted by Tomtint View Post
    I bet a JD owner was jealous and sabotaged it when no one was looking !
    Anybody seen Carl?

All joking aside, I agree with the relief valve.
    Don

MF GC2400, FEL, 60in.MMM, 5ft. Cultivator, Single Bottom Plow, Bush Hog RTC48 tiller, MF 2360 front mount snowblower, 5ft backblade. BXpanded Piranha toothbar.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 4100 HST /410 FEL, R4s

Quote Originally Posted by PitbullMidwest View Post
    Nope,just the bucket
    Then I also believe a failed relief valve

The reason I asked is by pushing brush and logs piles high with a raised blade on the back you could easlly do something like breaking the rockshaft housing by jamming the lower lift arm links backwards and up into the rocker shaft arms

Tractor
    ford and mahindra

[QUOTE=Don87;3173381]Anybody seen Carl?

Ha ha too funny, he's over on page 30.

Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast