Oil & Fuel Dirty oil

/ Dirty oil #1  

cadale

Tractor
Kubota L3130
Hello

I just joined, after occasionally lurking here the past several years. After gained experience with old 50s tractors the past four years, I recently upgraded to a Kubota L3130, with FEL.

The engine oil was filthy, and the markings on the filter said 2009, so its been a while since any maintenance was done, but it runs well. Even after changing the oil and filter, the oil is still black.

Should I run it a few hours and replace the oil, again?

Also, there is a black knob atop the joystick which can slide into two positions-anyone know what its does? The control is an L2213A.

thanx

Dale

/ Dirty oil #2  
They make an engine flush for this. I have never tried it so I can't say how well it works.

/ Dirty oil #3  
Picture for knob please. My friend had the L3130 and have swapped tractors with him, but need picture.

/ Dirty oil #4  
My JD will have clean oil for a few hours. My VW and my Cummins oil will look dirty fairy quick. The VW oil will look black in just the time it takes to drive down off the ramps, move the ramps and pull back in. It is really not unusual for diesel oil to look black after change and a few minutes of running.

Some loader controls have lock outs. It lets you move the valve on way but not the other.

/ Dirty oil
ok, thank you all for the input. I have never worked on a diesel engine so was unaware that the oil is commonly black. Wonder why?
My computer skills do not allow me to pop a photo online of the knob. Its a small black knob that sticks upwards about 2 inches and is constrained to slide in a U shape. I suppose I could experiment.

/ Dirty oil #6  
In my experience (and it's not that much) diesel turns oil black VERY quickly. It's soot/carbon being suspended in the oil. Mine is pretty black after a few hours or running after a change. It may be worse if the engine is "dirty". I usually smell the oil and that can tell alot. Does it smell burnt, like fuel or just old ? If the oil looks and smells OK I would run it and do a change or if you want a change with a pour in flush earlier than you usually would. IMO flushes were more appropriate when oil did not have the detergents it has today. That's why the oil is black because the oil is doing it's job and trapping and suspending the particulates.

/ Dirty oil #7  
ok, thank you all for the input. I have never worked on a diesel engine so was unaware that the oil is commonly black. Wonder why?
My computer skills do not allow me to pop a photo online of the knob. Its a small black knob that sticks upwards about 2 inches and is constrained to slide in a U shape. I suppose I could experiment.

I think that's the lockout for the loader control. Try sliding it into the alternate position and see if you can move the joystick. There should be a sticker showing a padlock on top of the plastic cover, but that may be gone now.

Sean

/ Dirty oil
Aha! Yes, I slid the knob over, slowly, as it does not move easily, and the joystick is locked.
Thank you all. I will not change my oil again for 200 hours, as black is now good.

Thanx Again

Dale

/ Dirty oil #9  
Aha! Yes, I slid the knob over, slowly, as it does not move easily, and the joystick is locked.
Thank you all. I will not change my oil again for 200 hours, as black is now good.

Thanx Again

Dale

Who or what told you to go 200 hours on a oil change?

/ Dirty oil #10  
When I lived on the farm my dad had a 1967 JD 710, part of the maintenance in doing an oil change was creating a "short circuit" oil filter, then after running the engine hot and draining the oil, one would put on the short circuit oil filter and fill the engine with #2 diesel, run the engine no-load for 15 seconds and drain. You wouldn't believe the crap that was flushed out. Then replace with a new filter and fill with the appropriate weight oil for the season, winter or summer. This was 25 years ago mind you. The new oils have so many additives that this proceedure is not done anymore.

I run Rotella-T Syn 5w40 and an Oilguard bypass oil filter (oilguard.com/eps-20-dc.html) in my 94' Cummins. I change the oil and both filters once a year. It keeps the oil very clean for a long time. Been using this setup for over 8yrs now. Used to do the oil samples every 3 months, then went to 4 months, then 6 months and then once a year. Never had any issues.

And I fully agree with Clint S, the oil is doing it's job by keeping particles in suspension and out of contact of bearing surfaces.

John