How do you repair a damaged Kubota cab top ?

/ How do you repair a damaged Kubota cab top ? #1  

ns_in_tex

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L4610 HSTC, International 2400, Hesston 1280,
We want to make some repairs to our L4610 HSTC cab top and would like to know if the material is plastic & if so, what kind?
This might enable us to use the correct material for the repairs.

We found that the evap cabinet was polypropelene & was able to do an excellent repair on it, but so far the cab top has not responded as well to my efforts of plastic welding.

Any help appreciated,

Thanks

/ How do you repair a damaged Kubota cab top ?
We finally got this response from Kubota about our request for cab material ID.

Dear Sir,
The cabin roof on your L4610 is a polymer base resin material that is not
repairable with any plastic "welding" technique. In addition we are not
aware of any bonding agents available that are directly compatible with
this material and we consequently recommend replacement, rather than
repair.
Thank you for owning Kubota products.

Our dealer quoted us a new top for something over 1600.00
I don't think that is going to happen.

/ How do you repair a damaged Kubota cab top ? #3  
Well you might as well try something cause your not out anything now.

/ How do you repair a damaged Kubota cab top ? #4  
Yeah, as long as they say nothing will work, may as well try everything, including black magic.

I'm a bondo guy myself, but I don't know anything, so keep that in mind.

/ How do you repair a damaged Kubota cab top ? #5  
Without any pictures it is hard to make a recommendation but based on the OP I would suggest epoxy resin and carbon (or Kevlar) fibered cloth...

If you can post some pictures I can offer better advice on a repair to a fractured polymer structure...

/ How do you repair a damaged Kubota cab top ? #6  
Would like to see a picture, but, the follwing works on plexiglass and other plastics.
Drill evenly spaced holes down either side of the crack and use safety wire and "sew" it with a baseball stitch. Then cover with epoxy resin.

/ How do you repair a damaged Kubota cab top ? #7  
Tex,
I thinking, if siding guys cover over rotten wood with aluminum, why can't you cover the complete top of your cab with a sheet of aluminum? Cut a piece big enough to wrap over the edges. Maybe a body shop could help you. Just a thought.

/ How do you repair a damaged Kubota cab top ? #8  
What is so special about the 4610 top? How huge is that thing? The plastic top for a B26 is "only" $500.

/ How do you repair a damaged Kubota cab top ? #9  
I don't know if the material is compatible but a fiberglass repair kit works wonders. relatively easy to work with and will bond to anything. Repair the roof and paint if you want but that would be my suggestion. I have had real good luck and it dries to a very hard very strong repair.

/ How do you repair a damaged Kubota cab top ? #10  
One of my M's has a cracked roof. Its a PITA to fix. Only thing that kind of works for me is "quad" clear caulk. They have it at home depot. Sticks to practically everything.