B3200 smoke-out on cold start

/ B3200 smoke-out on cold start #21  
Is it best to start with the throttle set at idle or bump it up a bit? My 3200 smokes like crazy for a few seconds when I start it, but thats with the throttle up a little bit. I'm holding the glow plugs on for 15 to 20 seconds then cranking it.

/ B3200 smoke-out on cold start #22  
I agree with holding the key in the glow position after start up. It seems to help. I know my b3200 does not start any where near as good as the b7510 I had previous to it. I put a block heater on it at the end of last season but have yet to even plug it in. Using one takes preplaning and i tend not to think of it in time. I would be interested in learning more about adjusting the ignition timing.
Rob

/ B3200 smoke-out on cold start #23  
I agree with holding the key in the glow position after start up. It seems to help. I know my b3200 does not start any where near as good as the b7510 I had previous to it. I put a block heater on it at the end of last season but have yet to even plug it in. Using one takes preplaning and i tend not to think of it in time. I would be interested in learning more about adjusting the ignition timing.
Rob

/ B3200 smoke-out on cold start #24  
The trouble with adjusting injection timing on a new tractor is getting the dealer to go along with it. Some will, most I suspect won't. It's not a do-it-yourself job unless you're a competent diesel mechanic. I work with fuel systems for a living, I'd tackle it myself if I needed it done but mine works well the way it is.

Sean

/ B3200 smoke-out on cold start
Rob

Holding the key in the glow position for a long period of time doesn't really seem to make much difference on my tractor. It still smokes like crazy and runs badly for at least 30 seconds. I'm going to try a block heater and see if that makes any difference, having the engine warm when starting just makes life easier on it anyway so I'll give that a try.

I was just looking at my B3200 service manual and there is a section in there about adjusting the injector pump timing - but it's by no means very clear (at least not to me). When I hit the dealer to buy the block heater I'm going to check in at the service department and try to get some idea of how amenable they are to adjusting the timing. I would try it myself - I'm pretty handy, but typically when tackling something new I would prefer to have good instructions instead of jumping in blindly.

I seem to recall there being a thread here on TBN a while back about how to do the adjustment - anybody recall that?

/ B3200 smoke-out on cold start #26  
I think the type of pump that Kubota uses on the compact tractors uses shims under the pump to change the timing. I'll check my WSM when I get a chance.

Sean

I think the type of pump that Kubota uses on the compact tractors uses shims under the pump to change the timing. I'll check my WSM when I get a chance.

Sean

That's what the manual says. I know I recall reading in some other threads about people adjusting the timing by using shims also. It just wasn't very clear from the Kubota manual exactly how this was done. Maybe it would be clearer if I took a look at the actual tractor.

/ B3200 smoke-out on cold start #28  
Generally, the thicker the shim under the pump, the later the timing. The technical part is being able to check what the timing actually is, simply changing it is fairly simple.

Sean

Generally, the thicker the shim under the pump, the later the timing. The technical part is being able to check what the timing actually is, simply changing it is fairly simple.

Sean

Ahhh - ok. So that's the piece of the puzzle I would have to get figured out.

/ B3200 smoke-out on cold start #30  
It has been mentioned and it is what I do to my B3200. I use one of those small orange Torpedo heaters. I set it about 5 feet from the tractor, aimed at the underside from the side. It works GREAT. She fires right up with very little smoke and hardly any chugging. I keep the tractor in an unheated garage. I am not trying to warm the whole garage but heat directly to the underside of the tractor. I hold the glow plugs on for a minimum of 30 to 40 seconds.

I realize there are times we want to just go right out there and fire it up. But it is just to violent of a start up. While the Torpedo heater is warming her up, I might putz around and check the tractor over a bit, greese etc...