B3200 smoke-out on cold start

/ B3200 smoke-out on cold start #31  
Roostersmasher,

You and I think alike. I use the salamander almost everyday to heat up the truck when I do not heat up the firewood processor. it sure beats the heck out of smelling the stink of the engine exhaust and seeing all the water vapor exit the tail pipe everyday.

/ B3200 smoke-out on cold start #32  
Ahhh - ok. So that's the piece of the puzzle I would have to get figured out.

The Nippondenzo design is different than the Robert Bosch design wherein the direct drive Bosch indirect Injection pump is turned slightly before it is secured to the engine housing to change the injection pump fuel rate.

/ B3200 smoke-out on cold start #33  
The Nippondenzo design is different than the Robert Bosch design wherein the direct drive Bosch indirect Injection pump is turned slightly before it is secured to the engine housing to change the injection pump fuel rate.

I just bought a new b3200 before Christmas and it was doing the same thing. Lots of white smoke spitting and farting for about 30-40 seconds. So I brought it back told them I was not happy with it running like that and the bad vibration it had. So we readjusted the injection pump timing. It is very easy to to just takes time. Half an hour or so. So have to advance the timing so to do this u have to remove the injection pump and remove a shim. The shims are marked with holes in the top corner. I left only one shim in that had 3 holes in it. I can't remember the thickness of this one. But ever since I did this no smoke at start up and the vibration has come down. It's all about this emission control crap they have to meet. Now with the way it's running its sounds more like a diesel and I was told by a few mechanics that I will have full hp that the engine is capable it have. They same there fine because they have to. But if u get a mechanic on your side it's simple to do.

/ B3200 smoke-out on cold start #34  
I just bought a new b3200 before Christmas and it was doing the same thing. Lots of white smoke spitting and farting for about 30-40 seconds. So I brought it back told them I was not happy with it running like that and the bad vibration it had. So we readjusted the injection pump timing. It is very easy to to just takes time. Half an hour or so. So have to advance the timing so to do this u have to remove the injection pump and remove a shim. The shims are marked with holes in the top corner. I left only one shim in that had 3 holes in it. I can't remember the thickness of this one. But ever since I did this no smoke at start up and the vibration has come down. It's all about this emission control crap they have to meet. Now with the way it's running its sounds more like a diesel and I was told by a few mechanics that I will have full hp that the engine is capable it have. They same there fine because they have to. But if u get a mechanic on your side it's simple to do.

How many degrees did you advance the timing?

/ B3200 smoke-out on cold start
I stopped into my dealer today and talked to some people in the service department about the smoky-crappy starting on the B3200 - and they seemed to be fully informed on what was going on - but the guy said specifically that they cannot adjust the injector pump timing - they've been told by the local factory rep not to touch anything or the EPA would be all over their ***.

So that avenue looks like a dead end for me. If I want to adjust the pump timing I'm going to have to do it myself. Which is not a big deal - I'm very mechanically handy, I just need to make sure I know what I'm doing.

It looks like the injector pump is on the right hand side of the engine (looking at it from the driver's seat) - do you remove the whole pump from the engine and just remove the shim?

When the weather gets a little warmer and I catch up on all my projects I may give this a try.

I picked up a block heater while I was there and installed that this afternoon. Easy enough - probably only took about 45 minutes. The B3200 takes the screw in block heater - I just had to run to Autozone and pick up a 17mm hex to remove the plug. Other than that it was very straightforward to install.

Maybe I'm just used to the BX23 I used to have - but the B3200 has always seemed like it just wasn't running "right" to me.

/ B3200 smoke-out on cold start
I was at 18 now 24. So about 6-7 degrees

I seem to remember somebody in another thread saying they advanced their's about 8 degrees - so it sounds like you're right in that range.

Is there any way to verify what the timing is after the change is made?

/ B3200 smoke-out on cold start #38  
I seem to remember somebody in another thread saying they advanced their's about 8 degrees - so it sounds like you're right in that range.

Is there any way to verify what the timing is after the change is made?

Its easy to do. 1st. Remove the aircleaner ***. 2 remove the air intake manifold. 3 disconect all 4 injector lines from the pump and the injectors. 4 remove the stop seliond on the side of the injection pump( turn key on while doing this it disengages it) 5 remove the 6 bolts that hold the pump on. 7 remove side cover on injection pump to release governer spring ( watch how u unhook it so when u put the pump back down u hook it up right) 8 pull pump out remove shims leave only one with 3 holes on corner. Then reasemble in reverse order. The b3200 does not have to be bled just keep cranking till it fires on its own. The way u check your timing is by doing a spill test. With injection lines off turn engine over by hand till diesel spills out of #1 port on pump ( closest to the rad) there is a plug bottom right behind the hydrulic couplers remove it and look at the markings that tells were your timing is now at. I think i got everything. Good luck its not hard to do.

/ B3200 smoke-out on cold start #39  
I really need to look into this. My L45 is a nightmare starting cold. It shakes, rattles, smokes and really fills the pole barn fast with a nasty haze.

Are there any gaskets or anything that need to be replaced when playing with the injection pump timing?

ac

/ B3200 smoke-out on cold start #40  
I really need to look into this. My L45 is a nightmare starting cold. It shakes, rattles, smokes and really fills the pole barn fast with a nasty haze.

Are there any gaskets or anything that need to be replaced when playing with the injection pump timing?

ac

Not on the b3200. Not sure on the l45