Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Gold Member
    Tractor
    918 allis-chalmers

Default Re: B3200 smoke-out on cold start

Block heater(coolant heater) IS the way to get a diesel to go quickly......that's why commercial standby generators have block heaters turned on even in summertime,usually. They also have oil pan heaters.
    My brother bought a MAGNETIC oil pan heater and loves it.I'm thinking about getting one,though I rarely need to start my AC 2800 Backhoe at less than 25 degreesF. don-ohio

Tractor
    Kubota L3400DT

The shims in Jim's engine may be different than what was in Frank's. I'm guessing at names here... the reason they use shims at all is to compensate for slight differences in the height of the block above the camshaft or in the pump manufacture. If you know how much change a given amount of shim will make in the timing, then you remove or add enough to give you the change you want. I'd highly recommend actually checking what it is when you're finished, then you know exactly what you have.

Sean

Tractor
    B3000 HSDCC

My 2012 B3000 that I got in November is much smokier on startup than my 2008 B3030 was. I honestly think some of that is a combination of new motor break-in and the oil that kubota put in, in addition to some of the epa crap. I was running synthetic oil in the B3030, and got that machine in springtime, so by the first fall & winter, it was beyond the 50 hr point and the synthetic oil was in it.

It isn't as bad at 30 hours now as it was the first week I got it. May need to play with timing a bit too, but will wait until after the 50 hour oil change. My old 7.3L acted similarly when I first got it until I switched it over to synthetic.

The smoke issue is less than 10 seconds before it clears up now, compared to closer to 20 seconds when it was brand new.

I'm hoping that by the time this motor hits 50 hours and I switch to synthetic, the smoke issue at startup will subside at least a bit more.
    Last edited by bandit67; 02-24-2013 at 06:10 PM.
    2012 Kubota B3000, block heater, filled rears, rear wheel spacers, fender extensions, LA403 w/60" bucket, BH77 w/12" bucket & mechanical thumb, Kubota pin-type QA, Kubota forks, Caroni TM1600 flail, Buhler Allied YC6010 3pt blower, Meyer 72" FEL mounted plow, Midwest LR2072 rake

Previous machines:

2008 Kubota B3030 (Open Station), LA403, BH75, 4 - 55w halogen front & rear ROPS mounted worklights with L39 dash switches
    2004 Case NH DX24E Subcompact

Kubotas from Barlow's

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L45

Quote Originally Posted by bandit67 View Post
    My 2012 B3000 that I got in November is much smokier on startup than my 2008 B3030 was. I honestly think some of that is a combination of new motor break-in and the oil that kubota put in, in addition to some of the epa crap. I was running synthetic oil in the B3030, and got that machine in springtime, so by the first fall & winter, it was beyond the 50 hr point and the synthetic oil was in it.

It isn't as bad at 30 hours now as it was the first week I got it. May need to play with timing a bit too, but will wait until after the 50 hour oil change. My old 7.3L acted similarly when I first got it until I switched it over to synthetic.

The smoke issue is less than 10 seconds before it clears up now, compared to closer to 20 seconds when it was brand new.

I'm hoping that by the time this motor hits 50 hours and I switch to synthetic, the smoke issue at startup will subside at least a bit more.
    220 hours on my L45 and Shell Rotella T 5w40 Synthetic oil. Smokes like white phosphorous on start up.

ac

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kubota B4200\MF 135\Kubota B3200

I have no electricity so a block heater is out of the question unless I also fire up the generator, which I can't get at unless I can start the tractor and move it out of the way.lol. So I just use a propane heater and throw a tarp over my old B4200. It still smokes badly which is in direct relationship to how much cranking is required. I have to hold my breath and then vacate my Shed while it warms up. The smoke, I pretend, creates a deterent to all the critters living in the loft. I will see how my new B3200 behaves this weekend. Its always a good day when I can get one of my existing tractors started. The MF135 has a real thick oilpan and I put a propane stove under it for 30 minutes. (watching closely to ensure all the oil leaks don't cause a fire.)
    Unimogdave

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota B3200 with BH77 backhoe, Kubota B50 SSQA w/ 54" & 60" buckets, LandPride FDR1660

Quote Originally Posted by bandit67 View Post

I actually wondered about the oil/break-in thing myself. I only have about 28 hours on my B3200 right now. So I still have a little ways to go to get to 50.

I picked up and installed a block heater over this past weekend. I also talked to the service guys when I was picking up the block heater - and they suggested to heat the glow plugs three times before starting the tractor. I moved the tractor out of the garage to do the block heater install - and I tried the heat three times thing - and it seemed to make maybe a little bit of difference - but the weather that day was also warmer than it had been in a while, just slightly about freezing. So I'm not sure if that was temp or glow plug related.

The next chance I have to get the tractor out I'm going to make sure to block-heat it for at least a couple of hours before starting and see if it makes a difference. But I think in the end what's going to happen is that I will be trying to get that injection timing change done somehow.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L45

I have played the glow plug game and I don't think it makes any difference whatsoever.

A block heater is unrealistic for me as I generally am not home or do not know 3 hours before that I am going to use my tractor for a simple task.

ac

Tractor
    B3000 HSDCC

On my B3000, if it's pretty cold in the garage, like 40* on the wall of the house, it's usually closer to 30* near the overhead door where the front of the tractor is. I need to fire the plugs for a good 20 seconds, then when I start it, I hold the key in the plug fire position, and that seems to clear up the light grey (not quite white) smoke much quicker than if I start it without keeping the plugs fired for another 3-5 seconds.

What I do know is that this B3000 starts like crap compared to my B3030, but after 10 seconds of idling, clears up and runs fine, and at that point, seems no different than the B3030. I really don't understand how changing the factory timing of years back to cause the newer pre-Tier 4 engines to puke partially burnt diesel fuel smoke can create any sort of improved pollution control. But I do realize the EPA is a joke of an agency that could possibly dictate this sort of BS "fix" that like so many of their other "fixes", create a lot more problems.
    2012 Kubota B3000, block heater, filled rears, rear wheel spacers, fender extensions, LA403 w/60" bucket, BH77 w/12" bucket & mechanical thumb, Kubota pin-type QA, Kubota forks, Caroni TM1600 flail, Buhler Allied YC6010 3pt blower, Meyer 72" FEL mounted plow, Midwest LR2072 rake

Previous machines:

2008 Kubota B3030 (Open Station), LA403, BH75, 4 - 55w halogen front & rear ROPS mounted worklights with L39 dash switches
    2004 Case NH DX24E Subcompact

Kubotas from Barlow's

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota B3200 with BH77 backhoe, Kubota B50 SSQA w/ 54" & 60" buckets, LandPride FDR1660

So I put a block heater in a few weeks back - and that seems to be making a big difference.

Since I put the block heater in - I've been doing the following:

Plug the block heater in for some period of time before I start the tractor. The temps here haven't been REALLY low - more like in the low 20's at the coldest. In a couple of cases I plugged the heater in for as little as 20 minutes - and it seemed to make a difference.

Hold the glow plugs on for 3 times before starting the tractor - not sure whether this is actually making a huge difference or not - but............

I can say that one or both of these things have made a huge difference in the way the tractor starts up. I only get a brief output of smoke now - not the massive cloud and the missing for 30-40 seconds I was getting before - which would fill the entire garage up with smoke.

I've got to do a little more experimenting (try to start the tractor on just the block heater and without cycling the glow plugs three times ) - to see what is really helping - but - I'd have to say at this point I would definitely recommend the block heater install. I don't think the tractor needs 3 hours on it - like I said - even as little as 20 minutes seems to make a big difference.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota B3200, Ford NAA, IH 454D, Case 1845C

The block heater is making the difference. By using the glow plugs so much you are doing nothing but prematurely wearing them out. Use the block heater, hold the glow plugs once for 10-15sec and that should be good.
    Kubota B3200
    Ford NAA Jubilee
    International 454D
    Case 1845C skid steer
    JD 265

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast