Tips on changig shearbolts 2750 blower

/ Tips on changig shearbolts 2750 blower #1  

rbarker

Veteran Member
Tractor
BX 25
Made it through the whole blizzard of 2013 with no problems but today on light clean up I picked up a stick and sheared the fan pin. I'm new to this blower but was smart enough to buy a dozen spare pins at the suggestion of the salesman and the good folks here on TBN. Unfortunately the bolt sheared off clean on both sides and I have no clue how to find the proper alignment in order to drive out the old bolt. I poked around in there with an awl while turning the fan and thought I might have found it but if it is then its not going to come out easily.

Any tips on how to accomplish this without deconstructing the blower and using all those words my Momma told me not to say?

Sent from my iPad using TractorByNet

/ Tips on changig shearbolts 2750 blower #2  
I use the pin from a door hinge to knock out the sheared bolt. I just do by feeling the shaft with the hinge pin as I rotate the the fan. Once I think I found it, I knock the pin with a hammer or wrench. With a little tapping the sheared pin works it way out, the hinge pin aligns the fan on the shaft ready to guide the new shearpin into place.

/ Tips on changig shearbolts 2750 blower #3  
My blower has a second hole in the shaft in front of the impeller that you can use to correctly postion the impeller.

/ Tips on changig shearbolts 2750 blower #4  
I did exactly what manawan suggested just yesterday. The hinge pin worked better than a drift for the application because of its' short length.

/ Tips on changig shearbolts 2750 blower #5  
My blower has a second hole in the shaft in front of the impeller that you can use to correctly postion the impeller.

Always wondered what the "extra" hole was for.

I use a drift to drive out the broken pin. No pun intended!

/ Tips on changig shearbolts 2750 blower
Thanks all! I'll look for the second hole and a hinge pin when I get rid of this flu that's kicking my butt tonight.

Sent from my iPad using TractorByNet

/ Tips on changig shearbolts 2750 blower #7  
You can also use a 16 penny nail. The sharp tip helps to find the sheared pin or the hole. Glad to hear the blower worked in a big downfall. How much snow did you get? Did you plow during the storm or wait and did it all at once?

/ Tips on changig shearbolts 2750 blower #8  
I just drive out the broken piece with the new bolt. Haven't sheared one yet this year. Last snow here was in excess of 32 inches! Sure glad I don't have to find a place to push all that snow!

/ Tips on changig shearbolts 2750 blower #9  
I learned a lesson yesterday regarding shear pins for the Kubota BX2750 snowblower. I put in about 7 or 8 hours blowing snow, getting stuck, and going through lots of diesel. I was finishing up blowing snow around the wood pile and sure enough I picked up a small chunk of wood and it went directly into the fan area and blame there goes the shear bolt. I had put the wrong shear bolt into this location thinking at the time the bolts were too expensive and if I down graded the bolt to a grade 5 it would break just like the Kubota grade 8 bolt. Needless to say this was a major mistake on my part.

What happen is the bolt sheared, but twisted leaving a burr on the piece of bolt that was left in the hole of the shaft. The is little to no room to try and beat the piece out and after about an hour of trying we decided that we could attempt to drill it our or just go ahead and bite the bullet and take the shaft out to remove the damaged bolt. Three hours later we had the snow blower apart and could get to the shaft to remove the bolt. This took about 15 seconds to remove it. Everything is back together and the blower is working properly.

Yes, it has the wrong bolt in there, but I am off to the dealer to pick up grade 8 and grade five bolts this morning. By the way the price of the grade 5's are $2.45 and the grade 8's are $2.70.

I guess the groves are in the bolts to make sure they break clean and fall out easily out of the holes.

The moral of this story is BUY THE RIGHT BOLTS AND SAVE ALL THE PROBLEMS.

/ Tips on changig shearbolts 2750 blower #10  
BX2750D

Auger uses p/n 70060-01338 - it is a grade 5, 5/16x2-1/4" bolt that has two cuts in the bolt for sheer.
The fan uses p/n 70060-02808 - it is a grade 8, 5/16x2-1/4"" bolt with one cut for sheer

Both use 5/16-20 split washers and nuts. If you use nyloc nuts you might overtighten the bolts and risk twisting the bolts at the sheer point(s). So I always use a lock washer and non-locking nut. At the beginning of each season, I R&R any rusted looking pins from my blower just in case as it's easier to start out stong than change out in the middle of a job.

Also note that my borther's BX2200 came with a BX2750A. This one uses a 1/4" pin on the fan. Last storm he hit a fallen limb that was hidden under the snow and not only did he brake the pin but he also broke the chain!

I bought a bag of ten of each to have when I need them.