Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Tractor
    N/A

Default Kubota RTV900 for steep clayish hill in high altitude

Hi everybody.

I need to buy my first UTV very soon. I'm thinking seriously about kubota RTV900 but I have several questions:

Is RTV good in high altitude? It lacks of EFI and I have to use it at high altitude: 4500 to 7000 ft. (8000 ft. from time to time).

What about clayish very steep hills? I have a challenging one: 6700 ft., at least 30, maybe a bit more, 200 ft. long.

What about lift kits for ground clearance?

Which size of tires to improve ground clearance and to deal with deep clay? 25", 26", 27"? Bigger tires reduce torque, I think.

I suppose I will need aggressive tires like Ancla M-T, ITP 589, or something like that.

What about exhausts to improve power? Is it worthwhile? How much power/torque increase with it? Which brand do you recommend?

Thanks for your opinions.

Tractor
    Kioti DK-40, MF-135, Ventrac 4500Y

Default Re: Kubota RTV900 for steep clayish hill in high altitude

to TBN, We do have a forum for this Try ATVs & Utility Vehicles

Tractor
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by murphy1244 View Post
    It's the newbie syndrome! Thanks a lot.

Tractor
    Kioti DK-40, MF-135, Ventrac 4500Y

Quote Originally Posted by Rod1 View Post
    It's the newbie syndrome! Thanks a lot.
    Sudite.
    Murph ------------

Tractor
    Kubota L5740-HST; Kubota RTV900

Welcome! I do not have answers to your engine performance questions, but can share my experience with my own RTV900. Our lot has dirt trail running on a 20% grade over a stretch of about 400 ft. Elevation is 1400 ft. It is pretty wet at times too. I have never gotten stuck or been unable to climb the hill, and that includes days where the mud was over the axle. I have a stock 2004 model with ATV style tires on it. Good luck in your search.

Tractor
    2009 Kubota RTV 900, 2009 Kubota B26 TLB & 2010 model LS P7010

Quote Originally Posted by Rod1 View Post
    Hi everybody.

I need to buy my first UTV very soon. I'm thinking seriously about kubota RTV900 but I have several questions:

Is RTV good in high altitude? It lacks of EFI and I have to use it at high altitude: 4500 to 7000 ft. (8000 ft. from time to time).

What about clayish very steep hills? I have a challenging one: 6700 ft., at least 30ー, maybe a bit more, 200 ft. long.

What about lift kits for ground clearance?

Which size of tires to improve ground clearance and to deal with deep clay? 25", 26", 27"? Bigger tires reduce torque, I think.

I suppose I will need aggressive tires like Ancla M-T, ITP 589, or something like that.

What about exhausts to improve power? Is it worthwhile? How much power/torque increase with it? Which brand do you recommend?

Thanks for your opinions.
    The RTV 900 is fuel injected diesel so no issues there. SOME enthusiast have put turbochargers on them for additional power. I find that where I am which is less than 1000' above sea level that power is not an issue. Some muddy guys have put the larger and taller tires but I haven't had any problem with traction on my ATV factory stock tires with any mud. If you are going into swamp bottom land, wider and especially taller tires might be the norm but for normal trail riding conditions the stock tires will do fine.
    The one thing I did was remove the spark screen in the exhaust since I don't do national park trails. It stops up pretty fast with carbon and has to be cleaned frequently to avoid exhaust back pressure.
    This isn't a vehicle that you can just jack up the suspension for ground clearance so if you want something like that, get a different brand. For more ground clearance you would need larger tires. I think it has plenty of ground clearance for normal activities.

As I have said before, this isn't a mud hog machine, it is too heavy for that. If you want a mud hog, get an ATV or one of the sport UTV's. RTV's are serious work machines that are set up to carry heavy loads and pull a decently loaded trailer also.
    2010 LS P-7010C 20F/20R gear tractor & FEL, 2009 Kubota B 26 TLB, RTV 900 Kubota,17 foot Lund boat with 70HP motor, 2012-20 ft 12k GVW trailer, 2011- 52" Craftsman ZTR mower, 2013 Ferris Zero Turn, 3 weed whackers, pressure washer, leaf blowers, 7 foot bush hog, 8 foot landscape rake , 8 foot 3 PH disc, 2 row cultivator, 350 amp Miller AC/DC welding machine and all the tools needed to keep them all repaired and running.

Tractor
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by murphy1244 View Post
    HI, murphy1244.

I did it, but people answered here, so I must write again here. Thanks for you indication.

Tractor
    N/A

Hi, crazyangel.

Thanks for the input.

Tractor
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Fowler View Post
    The RTV 900 is fuel injected diesel so no issues there. SOME enthusiast have put turbochargers on them for additional power. I find that where I am which is less than 1000' above sea level that power is not an issue. Some muddy guys have put the larger and taller tires but I haven't had any problem with traction on my ATV factory stock tires with any mud. If you are going into swamp bottom land, wider and especially taller tires might be the norm but for normal trail riding conditions the stock tires will do fine.
    The one thing I did was remove the spark screen in the exhaust since I don't do national park trails. It stops up pretty fast with carbon and has to be cleaned frequently to avoid exhaust back pressure.
    This isn't a vehicle that you can just jack up the suspension for ground clearance so if you want something like that, get a different brand. For more ground clearance you would need larger tires. I think it has plenty of ground clearance for normal activities.

As I have said before, this isn't a mud hog machine, it is too heavy for that. If you want a mud hog, get an ATV or one of the sport UTV's. RTV's are serious work machines that are set up to carry heavy loads and pull a decently loaded trailer also.
    Hi, Gary.

I read RTV900 has carburator and kubota doesn't state it (kubota.com). Maybe it referred to older models, before RTV9800XT?

I forgot to say I don't need it for mudding but for work.

Thanks for the input.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Kubota BX2200

Diesels don't have carburetors.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast