Winches Mile Marker winches

/ Mile Marker winches
I have owned many different winches that have been abused in the alaska wilderness for the last 16 years. Places where you are 50 miles out from the road and still have another 200 miles to get back to town.

I think all electric winches are junk. All, I said it. I have owned a milemarker, many warn, ramsey, and a super winch. Every one of them has failed. Some not so bad, some leaving me stranded by myself having to walk back to the truck and taking over 30 hours to do so.

So far, the warranty on the warn has been the best. the latest one on my polaris ranger was fixed for no cost and it broke the case. It has a lifetime warranty on the case but not electric motor which usually fails over time. It still took two months to fix and to authorize. But still it was fixed at no cost.

I now always carry a come along. Just in case. Not fast at all, but I know it works.

Synthetic line is superior except in two situations. One of them was already posted which is the rocks. They will eat the rope. It will fray and will go bad over time. Key is to protect it. Number two is when pulling hard, that rope gets sucked so tight in between the strands on the drum, it is almost impossible to free spool the winch when pulling out. Thats downside. There are many more pros than cons.

If they ever made a hydraulic winch for an atv i would buy it in a heartbeat. Dont care if it weighed 30lbs more. They never fail.

I have three trucks with them on. One is over 15 years old and has always worked. Always. Never failed me once. No battery draw, no duty cycle to worry about, just have to have the motor running and people always tell me about this river crossing that they saw and truck was not running stuff. Never had that issue. Thats the excuse I always hear.

For electric winch on quad, look at the best warranty. It will fail you. You may be stranded too. But what will you have to pay to replace. more money isnt always better.

Hi, alaskakubota.

Thank you very much for a so good post, one of the best I ever read on these forums. I'll keep in mind your advices.

/ Mile Marker winches #22  
I have owned many different winches that have been abused in the alaska wilderness for the last 16 years. Places where you are 50 miles out from the road and still have another 200 miles to get back to town.

I think all electric winches are junk. All, I said it. I have owned a milemarker, many warn, ramsey, and a super winch. Every one of them has failed. Some not so bad, some leaving me stranded by myself having to walk back to the truck and taking over 30 hours to do so.

So far, the warranty on the warn has been the best. the latest one on my polaris ranger was fixed for no cost and it broke the case. It has a lifetime warranty on the case but not electric motor which usually fails over time. It still took two months to fix and to authorize. But still it was fixed at no cost.

I now always carry a come along. Just in case. Not fast at all, but I know it works.

Synthetic line is superior except in two situations. One of them was already posted which is the rocks. They will eat the rope. It will fray and will go bad over time. Key is to protect it. Number two is when pulling hard, that rope gets sucked so tight in between the strands on the drum, it is almost impossible to free spool the winch when pulling out. Thats downside. There are many more pros than cons.

If they ever made a hydraulic winch for an atv i would buy it in a heartbeat. Dont care if it weighed 30lbs more. They never fail.

I have three trucks with them on. One is over 15 years old and has always worked. Always. Never failed me once. No battery draw, no duty cycle to worry about, just have to have the motor running and people always tell me about this river crossing that they saw and truck was not running stuff. Never had that issue. Thats the excuse I always hear.

For electric winch on quad, look at the best warranty. It will fail you. You may be stranded too. But what will you have to pay to replace. more money isnt always better.

What brand hydros are you running? I have found in the world of Jeeps there is a love hate towards hydros. Many feel they are too slow, but if getting unstuck is your top priority, they cannot be beat! I would not trade my MM 10.5k for any electric, ever.

/ Mile Marker winches #23  
I too trust the hydro, especially Mile Marker. HUGE downside is speed. My Mile Marker will pull a mountain in low range and won't pull your hat off in high range. Problem is you gotta drive a stake to see progress in low range.

I also think Warn has the best warranty for electrics. I've had two major motor failures due to my own abuse, both were fixed at no cost.

/ Mile Marker winches #24  
I know this post is older, but just wanted to chime in and say thanks for the support of our VIPER winches. We are still selling 7000 units or so annually, so you word-of-mouth has been critical as we bypass distributors to keep costs down. We do have forum discounts, so PM me if interested. Thanks again!

/ Mile Marker winches #25  
Nice Pimp. :)

/ Mile Marker winches #26  
For jeeps or rock crawlers the winch is often used to right a vehicle when its flipped which means no engine power. That's a major reason electric is valued in that hobby.

/ Mile Marker winches #27  
Actually line speed is the biggest advantage over Hydraulic winches. I'll use my winch 20 times in situations where the engine is running before I use it once where it's not.

My MileMarker hydro is a 2 speed. Won't pull it's own weight in high gear. Line speed is around 12ft per minute in low gear. My Warn electric is 67ft per minute.