Winches Mile Marker winches

/ Mile Marker winches #2  
I have never used a mile marker winch. I have seen some of their lock out hubs for a 4WD truck and they were made pretty cheap. I do like that that winch has a synthetic rope. What do you want to do with the winch?

/ Mile Marker winches #3  
I would prefer a Warn or Ramsey - just me

/ Mile Marker winches #4  
I have the hydro on my Jeep, those are great US made units, but I beleive the electric ones are China made if that matters.
The hydro units are great, I have used them in Iraq, hence the buying of one for my Jeep. 100% duty cycle but they can tend to be slow.

D not run synthetic if it will be used on rocks and run across objects frequently. All my winches have syn lines and I use chaff guards, but I would run steel if used for logging and other abrasive uses.

/ Mile Marker winches #5  
Mile marker Hydros are top notch...

The ELECTRIC SUCK. I have have a 12K on my truck and nothing but issues. I have a 10 year old Warn 9500, that hasn't missed a beat, and a smittybilt 8000K on my jeep thats 3 yeras old... decent too.

I see you are looking at a ATV size 3500 winch... If you are hard core then get a warn... For occasional use its hard to justify the money for a warn. you might try an off brand, Northern tools sells a bunch.... Or a superwinch/ ramsey/ etc...

Also I dissagree with the above, on sythetic lines.

They are SOOOOO much nicer to work with, especially pulling on and off the winch and not having to worry about meat hooks. (little slivers on metal sticking out of steel cable. You'll surely get these if skidding over rough terrain)

Sythentic is HIGHLY abrasion resistant, and sure it'll chafe slightly but as long as the line isn't rubbing on the same point (like sawing a piece of rope on a rock edge) is isn't a major issue. pulling over logs and rocks doesn't cut the line like you think...and chafe gear isn't all that bad... Hit your local fire department for some old out of service hose

Also for the same diameter synthetic vs steel, you usually get a more pound rating, so if you were to chafe a few threads you are still well with in a safe working limit.. My 12K winch has 18K sythetic cable on it...Same diameter cable as the steel that came on it..

/ Mile Marker winches #6  
Rod1,

I have had both on my ATV. I started out with a Warn and thought I broke it. I ordered a mile marker to replace and found it to be very cheap(I got what I paid for) switch broke before I got it installed. I then returned it and rebuilt my warn(should have done this to begin with). turned out there was a few years that they were making a plactic piece that was a weak point. I got a new piece and regreased it and it workes better than new(total cost was less than $20). My advise go with a Warn. You will pay a little more now but you will never buy a new one. I have 8 guys that I ride four wheelers with (not as much lately) and all have Warn we used them HARD playing in mud and the worst we ended up finding it that piece I told you about. We broke two but had no problems once we relaced them. Warn has upgraded this part now not an issue.

/ Mile Marker winches #7  
A buddy of mine has an 8K Mile Marker on his Jeep. It is slow, noisy and high amp draw. I can live with slow. I can live with noisy. I cannot live with high amp draw. Nothing more frustrating than being in a long hard pull and killing your battery. Now you are not only stuck, but you aren't running.

As said above, if all you are planning to do is carry around a winch and only use it once a year or less, doesn't matter what you buy, they'll all do that. If you are planning to use your winch and expect it to retrieve you from a total stuck repeatedly, buy a good winch. In the ATV size I don't think anyone makes a winch as good as a Warn. Also get a synthetic rope.

I've got a Warn 9500TI on my buggy. I can get by with one battery because of the winch speed and low amp draw. It's rated at 67ft per min with no load. I love it when hanging on the rope trying to climb a cliff.

/ Mile Marker winches
I have never used a mile marker winch. I have seen some of their lock out hubs for a 4WD truck and they were made pretty cheap. I do like that that winch has a synthetic rope. What do you want to do with the winch?

Hi, 94 BULLITT.

Thanks for the input.

/ Mile Marker winches
I have the hydro on my Jeep, those are great US made units, but I beleive the electric ones are China made if that matters.
The hydro units are great, I have used them in Iraq, hence the buying of one for my Jeep. 100% duty cycle but they can tend to be slow.

D not run synthetic if it will be used on rocks and run across objects frequently. All my winches have syn lines and I use chaff guards, but I would run steel if used for logging and other abrasive uses.

Hi, Buckgnarly.

The "one" would be an electric one.

I don't think something is bad because it's from China. They produce many bad, cheap things, but they also build many stuff for the most important groups in the world from US, Europe, Japan, etc. (electronics, cars, etc.).

Thanks for the input.