seat springs. Kubota grand L seat

/ seat springs. Kubota grand L seat #1  

allen in texas

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota Grand L 5740, loaded R1's w/640 lbs cast weight, 854 loader
Just cruising through the forum this morning and reading old posts 'cause I'm bored at work. Found an old thread about positioning the seat. Made me remember an issue I've been wanting to ask about.
I'm not a real big guy, 5 ft 9 inches and I hover between 175 and 180 pounds. I have the seat spring adjustment knob cranked down as far as it will go but on even moderate bumps, the seat bottoms out and will give me quite a jolt.
Has anybody here changed the springs or modified them in any way? For it to be bottoming for me at my weight, makes me wonder what a really heavy fella would have to put up with.

/ seat springs. Kubota grand L seat #2  
What happens if you crank the knob in the other direction - say half way?
I'm around 225 with boots, jeans thermal underwear, coveralls, etc, etc and I rarely bottom my seat out.
But I have mine dialed in fairly stiff so it doesn't buck me around unless I've earned it.
I wonder if you have the springs set too loose so they deflect a lot under light load.
If you tighten 'em up, they won't start to move until you pull a few more g's, and may not bottom any more.

/ seat springs. Kubota grand L seat #3  
I'm about the same size as Baby Grand and tighten my seat up, so I don't bottom out. 4shorts and someone else have added air ride seats to theirs.

/ seat springs. Kubota grand L seat
I can certainly turn the knob the other way but that loosens the springs and makes the bottoming worse, I think it just need stronger springs. I'd really like to understand how yours doesn't bottom out Baby Grand. Note that I said I have the adjustment bottomed out ie as tight as I can get the springs.
I had a L3240 and it was the same way. I think the cab tractors have a different seat than the ROPS tractors too.
I don't know, just seems as though I shouldn't bottom except maybe on the most severe bumps. I think I will study it tonight when I get home

/ seat springs. Kubota grand L seat #5  
You may be right, mine is a cab tractor. You might look at the spring on a dealer's lot to see if they are comparable.

/ seat springs. Kubota grand L seat #6  
Strange, my L3400 does OK with me in the seat over rough ground, and I'm over 200 lbs as well. It's possible you're not getting the full travel for some reason.

Sean

/ seat springs. Kubota grand L seat #7  
Mine ALWAYS bottoms out on the L3130 - but I'm pretty big (OK - really big). No CAB on the L, however - on the M7040 with CAB I've got the air seat - now that's a GREAT option!

/ seat springs. Kubota grand L seat #8  
I think there are 2 springs under there, have you checked to be sure one isn't broken ?

E/S

/ seat springs. Kubota grand L seat
Both springs are intact.
LOL at Keith :D

/ seat springs. Kubota grand L seat #10  
Mine bottoms out too. Cranked as tight as it will go. Some investigation might find springs that are stiffer but I haven't had the chance to do that yet.