What difference will Ag tires make?

/ What difference will Ag tires make? #1  

TigerfaninAR

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota B2320 FEL, MMM
No, not another which is best thread so please read on. Couple weeks ago I asked a question about trading in my B2320 for either a 2920 or 3200. http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/kubota-owning-operating/270074-b2320-b2920-3200-a.html

I got a quote for the trade in and cost of a B3200 and it was very fair from Brady. Have discussed this with the wife and while understanding it could make things easier she's not quite sold on the needing a new tractor for what really boils down to saving just a little time and being more convenient. I understand that so that brings me to my question of tires. For those that didn't read the above thread, in essence I do more garden and loader work than I thought I would but still main job is mowing. Since it looks like the new tractor will be put on hold what do you think about adding a set of ag tires and use these in the fall/winter/spring and then switch out to the bar/turfs for the mowing season? Haven't priced this but seems from looking at past posts about this it will run about a grand. Will the AG tires give a noticeable difference in the garden with the middle buster and disc? Or is it simply a problem of weight and the tires won't make that much of a difference.

/ What difference will Ag tires make? #2  
Going to AG tires from turf tires in soft soil will make a dramatic improvement and even more so if you load them. They are absolutely horrible for mowing unless you and extra careful. If you can afford to swap tires, thats the idea way to have a dual purpose machine. only downside is actually taking the time to switch them. If thats a non issue and the money isn't stopping you I'd say go for it.

/ What difference will Ag tires make? #3  
Tires will make a huge difference. Ags will give you the best traction for ground work, no question. Turf for mowing, that's obvious. The winter is where it gets interesting. I only have experience with ags on big tractors and R4s on my B3300 (and previous TC23). I don't like the R4s in the winter. The stiff compound that makes them much more durable also makes them harder in the winter. Apparently turfs are good in light to moderate snow as they works like a snow tire and pack up. Any tires with chains will be better than any tire without.

Not sure how much snow you get in Arkansas so some of this may not apply. What tires do you have now?

/ What difference will Ag tires make?
Have the bar/turfs now. My previous tractor just had turfs. I can tell I have a little extra grip when going into a pile of topsoil but not much help in soft soil in the garden.

Usually get about one decent snow a year, not much and a non issue in regard to what tires for the tractor.

/ What difference will Ag tires make? #5  
So if you have the R4s on the front now and Turfs on the rear, If you can get matching size ags for the rear you should notice a big difference.

/ What difference will Ag tires make? #6  
An extra set of easily changeable mounted tires/rims will add some versatility but is a very expensive alternative.

Ag tires will significantly improve traction on soil but not on snow.

The only way to significantly improve traction on snow/ice is tire chains, and the best combination is turf tires with chains designed for your purpose. Visit tirechains.com.

SDT

/ What difference will Ag tires make?
   / What difference will Ag tires make? #8  
I have to say that ags will give you better traction for any job. Snow and dirt especially. I have plenty of experience with ags and R4's in snow and there is no comparison. I hated my R4's so bad on my 5740 I traded them for ags. Love em.

/ What difference will Ag tires make? #9  
   / What difference will Ag tires make? #10  
We used to call AG tires LUG tires, Lug with, or Lug without loading was the question.

I have had both turf and ag tires. The difference is dramatic! The ag tires give more traction and dramatically tear the crap out of a wet or soft yard.