Snowblower Wheels for Gravel

/ Snowblower Wheels for Gravel #1  

Yooperman

Tractor
Kubota BX25
I have a stone driveway and stones and snowblowers do not play well together. To fix this, I fabricated wheels that allows the blower to float at a constant distance above the stones preventing them from being ingested. I currently have it set so that the cutting edge is about 1-2" above the stones. I have no problem leaving a little snow on the driveway if it means not having to pick stones out of the yard. The wheels work great for that purpose.

But, there is one thing I don't like about them. I also blow my neighbors macadam driveway and the neighbor wants it taken down the whole way. The problem is that to adjust the wheels involves turning 2 nuts on each bolt. One nut is on each bolt above the wheel plate and one directly under the plate to lock each bolt onto the plate. With a total of 8 bolts (4 per wheel), it is a PIA to make a height adjustment. Does anyone have any ideas how this might be done easier?

Attachments

• F4.jpg
    F4.jpg
    513.4 KB · Views: 2,567
  • F5.jpg
    F5.jpg
    547.4 KB · Views: 3,231
   / Snowblower Wheels for Gravel #2  
You could maybe modify your brackets to mount a crank type trailer jack on each side, then just be able to crank up and down to your desired height.

/ Snowblower Wheels for Gravel #3  
What about trying a smaller set of wheels? You would only have to remove the axle on each wheel and insert into the smaller wheel set. Use spacers if the hub is thinner than the current wheel set.

/ Snowblower Wheels for Gravel #4  
Tell your neighbor to open their own driveway if the 1/2" of snow left on it doesn't suit them.

/ Snowblower Wheels for Gravel #7  
Simplest way would be to mount something like https://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?item=1-3823 to each side and bolt/weld your wheels to it. I would then mark each side with a paint band for gravel vs pavement. For a little bit more, you could get a jack with a built in wheel such as https://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?item=1-3821. If you want to get really fancy, you could mount something like https://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?item=28-1746&catname=electric and put your wheels on that

Aaron Z

/ Snowblower Wheels for Gravel #8  
Tell your neighbor to open their own driveway if the 1/2" of snow left on it doesn't suit them.

I like this option first, the crank option second.. The issue with leaving snow, is if it doesn't melt...it will continue to build a layer of ice as its driven on...its a shame they pull a vacuum like the lift of a mower blade, then all our gravel issues would be behind us..
Kind of a long shot, but depending on where the wheels are, perhaps if they where further back, you could do a lift adjustment on the rear of the frame for a better bite on the cutting edge...like a canter lever design. I think the wheels would have to be midway at the least, then by slightly raising the rear of the blower, it would decrease the leading blower edge.
Another option would be to do something with the cutting edge, perhaps adding another, then clamping it in place as a temporary edge, obviously the weight of the blower would be more of a concern. Perhaps welded studs on the added edge, thru holes on the regular cutting edge, then use wings nuts for a quick off and on.
I hope the neighbor cooks a good pie at the very least!
Tell us more about your neighbor...pictures are extra credit...LOL

/ Snowblower Wheels for Gravel #9  
I recall seeing some wheels somewhere that had a pivoting mount so that they could be locked in either an up or down position. It seems like you could rig up a fairly simple hinge arrangement with some pins for the up and down positions to do that.

/ Snowblower Wheels for Gravel #10  
How about tack welding the bolts to the casters. Then make a spacer that gives you you current 1-2". Insert spacer and tighten four nuts and you are ready to go. To switch for close scraping, loosen four nuts, take out spacer, put spacer on top of plate and tighten four nuts. That does take away the infinitely adjustable feature, which is nice, but it would be quick and easy.

Take Care,
Doug in SW IA