3200 Tire Question and Flail mowers

/ 3200 Tire Question and Flail mowers #1  

cold1313

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota M4D-071 Kubota F3990
Howdy,

Looking at purchasing a Kubota 3200HSD, probably with a 60" belly mower, and considering a flail mower (more later). Most of the tractor will be used for mowing lawn. No I'm questioning myself as to whether I should just go with a Grasshopper and save myself some $$. (Estimating the Kubota, bucket, belly mower is going to be a $25,000 lawn mower, yikes)

I have a very steep hill to mow, which is why I figured the 4wd Kubota would be best. Or, again, the Grasshopper route, and pay someone with a tractor to mow the steep hill 3 times a year (field grass, not lawn on the hill).

So I'm sort of torn on what route to go. I can do snow removal with both units. I'm worried that the heavy 3200 w/ bucket and R4's would rip the yard up pretty good. Even going slow, I'm just imagining going around the house or a tree and just shredding the lawn. (Note, I've chosen the 3200 because of the requirements for a flail mower, see below)

Thoughts? (Besides the Kubota AND a Grasshopper haha)

Question number 2. If I go the Kubota route, I have some field grass and that steep hill to mow. I think I might be better off with a flail mower since they don't hang out very far, generally safer, and seem to provide a better cut than a rotary. It seems my choices are limited with these 'mini' tractors and a flail mower. Anyone here use one? Open to recommendations. I had some sticker shock on new ones, but I am a bit leery of used ones. Then again, I guess it isn't a problem if you guys talk me into a Grasshopper!

/ 3200 Tire Question and Flail mowers #2  
If you build your B3200 with fel, 60"mmm and turf tires on Kubota's web site, your are at about $23,000. With a 15% discount, that would put it at about $20,000, give or take a few dollars.
I mow my yard with my B3200 and it does a fair job. If the ground is wet, and you make a fast turn, it will leave a mark in the yard. In 4wd, and you make a hard fast turn, it will take a divit out of you yard. I have r4 industrial tires on mine. If you would equip yours with turf tires, it would probably do a lot better.
You could use a flail mower on one of the smaller smaller B models. It seem to remember another discusion in the Kubota section about the use of a flail mower on a BX.
You could also use a finish mower to cut your field grass. The better ones are well built and will stand up to rugged conditions.
Good luck with you research.:)

/ 3200 Tire Question and Flail mowers
Turfs are out of the question I think. I have some pretty steep inclines that I have to mow up and down, and a steep incline along a pond, and I'm very nervous about those turfs letting me slide.

If it wasn't for that, I think I'd be all set to go.

/ 3200 Tire Question and Flail mowers #4  
Im running a Kubota L285 with Ag rears, and umm passenger car fronts with a Ford 917/907 flail, 48". Thats 28hp at engine, maybe 24 hp at PTO, and I dont have problems on yard except I do leave a track in any bare sandy areas under trees. Any of the yard with decent grass cover (bahia) leaves no track. Dont mow in 4WD, or the turns will tear it up, but unless your in soft area you should be ok. I like the flail mowers cut quality, only down side so far is replacement teeth, $3.50 x 39 teeth. I wouldnt spend $20k to mow, but thats me.

/ 3200 Tire Question and Flail mowers #5  
I have had my B3200 for a year. I find it very easy on yards with R4 tires. I don't mow in 4WD unless I'm on a steep slope or muddy. I would detach the FEL for just mowing. I have a tow behind finish mower. It does a good job, but I prefer a MMM. The tow behind is good if you have to mow next to water or a bulkhead. I generally back over the are. The MMM seems to work better for me around trees and other obstacles. I think a B3200 would be an awesome mower - but think it would have to be an estate sized lot otherwise something smaller.

/ 3200 Tire Question and Flail mowers #6  
A dedicated mower e.g. a zero turn will always mow lawn faster and better than a tractor with a mower. I had a finishing mower on my L2900 and once I got a zero turn I never used the Kubota to mow lawn again. The zero turn was markedly faster and worked much better on steep hills. Using the tractor I had to mow up and down the face of the hills whereas I mow across the face of the hills with the zero turn. It is a JD 755 with a 60".

Sorry, since I'm new, MMM = ?

I'm looking at probably around 6 acres to mow (14 acres total on the property), the issue is, that there is a very steep slope hill that I have to mow ~3 times a year, that a regular mower just can't handle. Not sure what to do.

I agree, I don't want to spend $20-25k just to mow, granted it will also work as snow removal, and the bucket will come in handy with projects I find around the property, but not daily use like on a farm. But then you look at the price of a used Grasshopper, ($10k min) plus a snow blower attachment, I start creeping up to the cost of a new 3200 with the attachments....

/ 3200 Tire Question and Flail mowers #8  
Sorry, since I'm new, MMM = ?I'm looking at probably around 6 acres to mow (14 acres total on the property), the issue is, that there is a very steep slope hill that I have to mow ~3 times a year, that a regular mower just can't handle. Not sure what to do.

I agree, I don't want to spend $20-25k just to mow, granted it will also work as snow removal, and the bucket will come in handy with projects I find around the property, but not daily use like on a farm. But then you look at the price of a used Grasshopper, ($10k min) plus a snow blower attachment, I start creeping up to the cost of a new 3200 with the attachments....

MMM = MID MOUNT MOWER. :smurf:

I spoke to the local Kubota dealer, who also carries Grasshoppers....he's going to stop out sometime and scope the property. I really want that Kubota, but my math is talking me out of it. I need to think of more reasons to own one! :laughing:

/ 3200 Tire Question and Flail mowers #10  
i don't know how steep your hills are, but i bought a b3200 with 60"mmm and 275lbs of front weights and i am very happy with it. i also use it with my 5ft bush hog and i go on some pretty steep hills with it and no problems. i think if you hjave 6 acres to mow, depending on how often you have to mow (once per week or so) would justify the price. it should last you a life time if properly taken care of. i also plow snow on lawns with my b7800, simular to b3200, and don't tear up much if lawn is frozen or not too wet. by the way my b3200 has turf tires. i don;t know much about grasshoppers. i iwsh you luck on your decision.