where are the brakes anyway?

/ where are the brakes anyway? #1  

diggerdave

I've put about 10 hours on my 7 yr old b1550HST, bought last March.

I developed a very bad habit of driving off with the brakes on. Yesterday was the worst as I drove it back
it's barn over half a mile of blacktop without realize the brakes were still on. I didn't have anytime yesterday
to look very hard for the brakes but they don't appear to be where I was expecting them and the operator's manual
doesn't tell you where they are. So where are they??? And what kind of damage have I done driving with the
brakes set?

thanks,
dave

/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ where are the brakes anyway? #2  
The brakes must not work too well if you can go that far with them on... /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

/ where are the brakes anyway? #3  
The brakes are inside the rear end, immersed in hydro fluid. They are reffered to as "wet brakes". The "wet" brakes are supposed to last longer than "dry" brakes, I assume because of the cooling effect of the oil.

I've done similar things on occasion. I once pulled a 60 foot walnut tree about a 1/4 mile <font color="blue"> UPHILL </font> with the brakes on. That told me a lot about the strength of the tractor and the weakness of the brakes. I have just gotten into the habit of looking at the brake pedals to make sure they are released before I move the tractor. But I still have the occasional slip up. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

/ where are the brakes anyway?
yeah the brakes are kinda weak. I've noticed that they never have held that well and I really have to push hard for them to hold the tractor on anything resembling a hill. I don't depend on them alone to hold the tractor on a hill.

I figured they had to be "inboard" brakes all right. Sounds like a major job to get to them. They still work well enough that alone may be testament to the advantage of being wet brakes.

thanks,
dave