Question on Diesel fuel

/ Question on Diesel fuel #1  

JOHNINMA

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota B5200, L3540
I had my B5200 out today after several months of sitting and I was thinking to myself the fuel in the tank is getting old. The tractor ran perfectly fine as always and I was curious if diesel stores better or longer than gasoline? I do have stanadyne fuel treatment in the fuel for extra protection.

/ Question on Diesel fuel #2  
My understanding is that diesel keeps for a very long time in storage as long as moisture is kept out.

/ Question on Diesel fuel #3  
I add a little Power Service Diesel Kleen (grey bottle) to my fuel. Moisture can cause problems in any fuel if left unattended for a long time. They also make a white bottle that is good for anti gelling but that's not much a problem for me in our neck of the woods. Personally....I don't like any fuel stored for more than a year......6 months is even better.

/ Question on Diesel fuel
Thankyou V1Rotate and jerrybob for the response. Its good to know it will stay good for a long time and I know the stanadyne treatment claims to remove water etc. I try to mix in fresh diesel whenever possible.

/ Question on Diesel fuel #5  
Diesel fuel can be contaminated by bacteria and other organisms growing in the tank.
See pasted article for more info.
Dave M7040

Diesel Fuel Bacteria Problems

Mike Rankin
Crops and Soils Agent
University of Wisconsin - Extension

Ron Schuler, UW Extension Ag Engineer, recently reported that bacteria and fungus 妬nfections are possible in diesel fuel and can cause clogged fuel filters and fuel injection nozzles. This problem is most likely to occur when water accumulates in the fuel system, primarily the fuel tank. Also, it is more prevalent when an engine is not used for long periods of time. These microorganisms are able to live in the water and feed off the fuel.

The first sign of a problem is an accumulation of a mucous like layer on the fuel filter element /medium. Draining the fuel system will reduce but not eliminate the problem. There are biocides available to destroy the microorganisms in the fuel system. Power Service Product (Address P.O.Box 1089, Weatherford, TX 76086, 1-800-643-9089, psp@ powerservice.com) has a biocide called BioKleen for this problem. Another product is Pri-Ocide, sold by Power Research Inc. (6970 Portwest Drive Suite 180, Houston, TX 77024, 1-713-490-1100, pri@priproducts.com).

To reduce the risk of a microbial diesel fuel infection, drain the water trap in the fuel system frequently. When changing the fuel filters, look for the mucous like accumulation. If the mucous is present, use a bio-cide. Check with local fuel supplier as a potential source of the bio-cide.

Take steps to reduce the potential of water from getting into the fuels. Be sure fuel tank caps and/or covers are in place unless the tank is being filled or serviced. Fill the tractor fuel tank at the end of each day instead of in the morning, which reduces the potential for water condensation in the tank.

For more information contact Mike Rankin

Last edited:
   / Question on Diesel fuel #6  
Diesel is much, much better storage wise than gasoline, especially the ethanol junk we are forced to deal with.

As mentioned, moisture (condensation) causing bacteria growth is just about the only issue except very cold weather.

Good advice above. I have a water/particle filter on my bulk storage pump. If you are using a pump, try to keep it slightly off the bottom of the storage tank to minimize water pickup.

If your fuel is not "winterized", then wax crystals can form in colder weather (below +15F) and clog up the tractor. I only worry about really cold weather operation of the RTV900 so I put some white Power Service in it in the winter. If you buy fresh fuel in colder weather, it may already be "winterized".

Ken

/ Question on Diesel fuel #7  
We fill our bulk storage tanks about once a year and have never had any problems, we don't use any additive, but our tanks have filters on them. My father in law was a bulk distributor of farm fuels running numerous diesel tractors and trucks without additives or problems, as noted some have had problems.

/ Question on Diesel fuel
To date so far I have never had any diesel related fuel problems in my truck or tractors. I have my fuel treated for extra protection. I found it interesting about checking the fuel filter for mucous type accumulations and will do so. I think if my memory is correct that if bacteria forms that there would also be a foul smell from the fuel. Anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. I believe I had read that somewhere at one time.

/ Question on Diesel fuel #9  
In northern NY they change over to winter fuel about Oct.1.I try to use up my fuel purchased in the summer and add Powerservice year round.We have gotten to -30 degrees,that and a block heater,my tractor always starts.I don't keep more than 40 gallons on hand at any given time,try to keep it fresh.

/ Question on Diesel fuel #10  
I live three miles from my father in law's old business, now owned by a relative, where very large storage tanks sit. In the spring, people will order "fresh" fuel, I can see no difference in it sitting in one of my tanks and sitting in one of his. Our renters keep some of his big tractors in our barn for five or six months then in the spring, they will crank them up and hit the field after a once over.