Snow Is a 60"wide rear mount PTO SB too big?

/ Is a 60"wide rear mount PTO SB too big? #1  

Tinman236

Tractor
Kubota B21
I have owned my 1997 Kubota B21 since new. Equipped with a factory TL421 FEL and a BT751 hoe-585 hrs. It has been a qreat machine for its size. I intend to drop the hoe and mount a quality 60" blower with hydraulic chute rotator and deflector. The pto specs 13,5 hp, but I heard that was a tad underrated. Some type of cab enclosure is almost a must. I would also mount chains and ballast as the B21 becomes a totally different machine after you drop the hoe. I want to select the right SB for my B21 and try to eliminate the problems I see and read about.If anyone has a similar setup and/or practical advice/experience,kindly respond. Regards--Tinman236

/ Is a 60"wide rear mount PTO SB too big?
KennyV-Thanx for your response--that was disappointing to hear, Regards-Tinman236

/ Is a 60"wide rear mount PTO SB too big? #4  
Tinman236,

For reference I had a JD 750 with manual transmission that put out 18 hp to the PTO and I used a 60" snowblower with success. Your tractor puts out considerable less at the PTO, but then you have to consider how much snow you get and if you have HST or manual. HST allows more control of the ground speed.
How wide is your tractor?.. If 48" covers it, that would be my choice.

DSC_0420.jpg

/ Is a 60"wide rear mount PTO SB too big? #5  
He has a 3 range hydro. He could go with a 48" blower, add wings to each side to gather the snow, and he would be fine.(I couldn't get the width of his B21 from Tractordata.com)

/ Is a 60"wide rear mount PTO SB too big? #6  
I don't know how wide your tractor is @ the rear tires, but how about a 54 " blower? I would go a little wider than the rear of your tires. With a hydro tractor, you can get your ground speed as low as you want, so you can compensate alot for snow depth. Also, after your first pass, you can take smaller bites, so your tractor won't be laboring so much.

/ Is a 60"wide rear mount PTO SB too big? #7  
I have a 2004 Cub Cadet 7264 and have had a 60" rear snow blower on it since it was new. Absolutely blows snow like a dream!!! Only the very wettest, slushy snow ever slows it down. My tractor is 26 HP, not sure what the PTO HP is but I love mine. I am getting older and it is harder to always be going backwards but it works for me. I keep the loader on in the front. Nice rig.

/ Is a 60"wide rear mount PTO SB too big? #8  
I think the wheelbase is 60" hence his need for a 60" blower. If you go slow enough and don't let it pile up to 6 foot high drifts you should be able to handle it and as stated, after the first pass, you can take narrower strips if it doesn't handle it. I have a B26 but it has 19PTO HP. The previous owner used a 5 foot bush hog with it and cut some high grass and said it handled it ok with my point being that the rule of thumb is 5 HP or more per foot but 3.8 seemed to work also. Only way to be sure is try it.
You sure as heck don't need a 400HP V8 on a snowblower like in a video that was posted here recently that throws snow 126 feet in order to do an adequate job in 99.9999 % of the time.

/ Is a 60"wide rear mount PTO SB too big? #9  
I think the wheelbase is 60" hence his need for a 60" blower....

Wheelbase is never a problem, except maybe for turning...
For doing snow the wheelbase, length will not be a consideration... The Track, Width, will be more important and on that small tractor should be around 40"... Get a 48 inch blower and love it. There will be times, (Wet or Deep snow) will even overload a 48"... KennyV

/ Is a 60"wide rear mount PTO SB too big?
Thanx Ductape- A 54" would probably be best.In all my manuals. Kubota does not give me the width,so I will measure the width tomorrow. Regards--Tinman236