Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 40
  1. #21
    Veteran Member MHarryE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,669
    Location
    Northeastern Minnesota
    Tractor
    JD 7720; Kubota M135GX, NH TS115A; JD 6230; Kubota L5740

    Default

    You only have 10 hours but when you run it do you run it for a short time or lengthy period? It will make a difference whether you have 60 starts and run it 10 minutes each time or 10 starts and run it an hour each time. I expect there are dealers who have had tractors sitting around for a year and don't change the oil when they sell it. As for synthetic, my German diesel car has had 3 oil changes at 56,000 miles. The sender says it doesn't drop between changes (no dipstick, just electronic oil level gauge that you check while driving. Synthetic from the start, first change at 16,000 miles. Is it a concern that the Japanese don't build an engine as well as the Germans? I would be concerned about your diesel. Diesel is a hydrocarbon and all kinds of nasty stuff likes to grow in it. When I started my engineering career I worked on combines. Average use 3 weeks per year, then sit. Next year algae. We are not talking bio diesel - we are talking back in the 60's. one of the first projects I ad was to make the filler opening large enough to get an arm in, have a fine screen at the tank outlet, and let the owner reach in to unscrew and flush off the mesh strainer. 24 years later I moved to Case-IH and found their largest customer complaint was algae, but we discovered we had a leaky fill tank at the plant so the fuel already had water when it left the plant. Bio diesel is even more sensitive, even at B2 or B5. I'd drain the residual fuel and use a good additive with your fresh fill
    JD7720; KubotaM135GX; NH TS115A; JD6230; KubotaL5740

  2. #22
    Super Star Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    14,436
    Location
    Yanceyville, North Carolina
    Tractor
    Kubota L4400

    Default Re: Would you do 50hr service @ 10hrs?

    Quote Originally Posted by Don87 View Post
    What was it that you want to return?
    It is an 8 ounce bottle of diesel fuel additive. I decided to use another product after reading posts and reviews here on TBN. Everytime I go to my Dealer's, I forget the bottle. Well, maybe the next visit? I just wrote myself a note on my "To Do" pad.
    The PUPIL who does not surpass his Master, fails his Master.

  3. #23
    Silver Member stoyan79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    159
    Tractor
    Kubota L3700SU

    Default Re: Would you do 50hr service @ 10hrs?

    I would estimate I have 20 starts @ 30 minutes each. I push snow with 8 foot blade mounted on the loader with 4wd engaged in medium gear @ 2,000rpm.
    Then the rest of the year I clean my field with 72" bush hog in medium gear @ 2,200 rpm.

    I have raised the RPM to 2,600 only few times for short period of time, only when I am bush hogging very thick vegetation.

    I always start it @ idle and run it there for few minutes after start until I pull out of garage and hook up implement.

    So, I will estimate about 20 starts in 18 months, 30 minutes of work every start. The tractor has ran at least once every month.

    Does kubota use brake-in oil? If yes, for how many ours should I use brake-in oil and where can I purchase this oil?

    Quote Originally Posted by MHarryE View Post
    You only have 10 hours but when you run it do you run it for a short time or lengthy period? It will make a difference whether you have 60 starts and run it 10 minutes each time or 10 starts and run it an hour each time. I expect there are dealers who have had tractors sitting around for a year and don't change the oil when they sell it. As for synthetic, my German diesel car has had 3 oil changes at 56,000 miles. The sender says it doesn't drop between changes (no dipstick, just electronic oil level gauge that you check while driving. Synthetic from the start, first change at 16,000 miles. Is it a concern that the Japanese don't build an engine as well as the Germans? I would be concerned about your diesel. Diesel is a hydrocarbon and all kinds of nasty stuff likes to grow in it. When I started my engineering career I worked on combines. Average use 3 weeks per year, then sit. Next year algae. We are not talking bio diesel - we are talking back in the 60's. one of the first projects I ad was to make the filler opening large enough to get an arm in, have a fine screen at the tank outlet, and let the owner reach in to unscrew and flush off the mesh strainer. 24 years later I moved to Case-IH and found their largest customer complaint was algae, but we discovered we had a leaky fill tank at the plant so the fuel already had water when it left the plant. Bio diesel is even more sensitive, even at B2 or B5. I'd drain the residual fuel and use a good additive with your fresh fill

  4. #24
    Elite Member Baby Grand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    4,144
    Location
    Windsor, CT.
    Tractor
    Kubotas: L3240GST B2320HST B5100D & G5200H

    Default Re: Would you do 50hr service @ 10hrs?

    I will "pile on" to what MHarryE said. Short run times with long periods of non-use also creates a risk that the crankcase oil doesn't get up to temperature for long enough to cook the water out of it. Water can get in from condensation resulting from cold/warm&humid/cold temperature swings. It can also get in the oil by diffusion from the surrounding air - not so much of a problem if you live in an arid place, but if you have humid days, water will find a way into the oil. Water in the oil not only encourages algae, it also can cause corrosion on steel surfaces as the oil film slowly thins out over weeks of non-use.
    That's the problem with trouble.
    It always starts out as such fun."
    - Randall Brown

  5. #25
    Veteran Member PHILIP8N's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,259
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Tractor
    Kubota L3940 Ford 8N Ford 6000

    Default Re: Would you do 50hr service @ 10hrs?

    I am a fan of early oil dumps. Drains out wear metals from the break in process and any manufacturing material that may be left in there like sealants or silicons. My early dump was at 18 hours (eqyivelent to 540 miles the way I drive), after heavy bush hog use. I drained oil and replaced filter. I installed new filter and used M1 5w-40 synthetic. The factory fill was 10w-30, so I was glad to get that out. Just before winter, I also did a second oil dump and filter change at 50 hours, just to make sure I had the largest percentage of old oil out I could get before winter came. I also installed new filter and used M1 5w-40 synthetic. I performed a used oil analysis on each oil sample, and received an oil report as well. Only negative comments were high percentage of wear metals in oil at 18 hour mark. I worked my tractor hard those first 18 hours, and feel my engine break in was was complete, or nearly complete. I had no issues going to synthetic at that time, nor have I seen any issues of doing so. As other have said, this is one of many opions. The only person you have to please is yourself, and then live with decisions. Philip.
    Last edited by PHILIP8N; 02-24-2013 at 12:28 PM. Reason: removed attachments
    Kubota L3940HST-1 2009
    84" front blade
    LA724 loader w/quick attach
    HD 72" round back bucket
    turf tires
    Kubota GR2120 2013
    Ford 8N 1950
    Ford 6000 diesel 1961
    JD L110 2003
    Woods RD7200 finish mower, Land Pride RCR1272 rotary cutter, Bearcat CH5540 5" chipper, L8170 ballast box, 6' Woods pulverizer, 6' Dragon box scrapper with hydraulic rippers, 14" 2 bottom plow, sub-soiler, post hole auger, 3 point pallet forks, 30" rear scoop, 7' Land Pride RB1584 rear blade, 3 point boom pole

  6. #26
    Veteran Member PHILIP8N's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,259
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Tractor
    Kubota L3940 Ford 8N Ford 6000

    Default Re: Would you do 50hr service @ 10hrs?

    Quote Originally Posted by stoyan79 View Post
    Does kubota use brake-in oil? If yes, for how many ours should I use brake-in oil and where can I purchase this oil?
    If they offer one, it is not listed as one of the available oils to purchase from Kubota. Who rebuilds an engine and uses break in oil? No one that I know of. Cummins used to offer a break in oil a long time ago, but I have not seen it or heard anyone mention of it in 20 years. Deere does have a break in oil offered in 10w-30. My factory fill from Kubota was 10w-30 as well, not my choice of oil weight to do heavy bush hogging in 90F ambients. Philip.
    Kubota L3940HST-1 2009
    84" front blade
    LA724 loader w/quick attach
    HD 72" round back bucket
    turf tires
    Kubota GR2120 2013
    Ford 8N 1950
    Ford 6000 diesel 1961
    JD L110 2003
    Woods RD7200 finish mower, Land Pride RCR1272 rotary cutter, Bearcat CH5540 5" chipper, L8170 ballast box, 6' Woods pulverizer, 6' Dragon box scrapper with hydraulic rippers, 14" 2 bottom plow, sub-soiler, post hole auger, 3 point pallet forks, 30" rear scoop, 7' Land Pride RB1584 rear blade, 3 point boom pole

  7. #27
    Silver Member stoyan79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    159
    Tractor
    Kubota L3700SU

    Default Re: Would you do 50hr service @ 10hrs?

    First off, I want to say Hi to my fellow Hoosier

    I am in South Bend area.

    So, here is what I am thinking. I will try to put 10 more hours this summer and will vary the RPMs when bush hogging from 1,500 to 2,500. I will give it a good work out.

    Then right before winter, hopefully right at around 20 hours I will dump the oil and switch to Amsoil 5w-40 synthetic diesel oil.

    Quote Originally Posted by PHILIP8N View Post
    I am a fan of early oil dumps. Drains out wear metals from the break in process and any manufacturing material that may be left in there like sealants or silicons. My early dump was at 18 hours (eqyivelent to 540 miles the way I drive), after heavy bush hog use. I drained oil and replaced filter. I installed new filter and used M1 5w-40 synthetic. The factory fill was 10w-30, so I was glad to get that out. Just before winter, I also did a second oil dump and filter change at 50 hours, just to make sure I had the largest percentage of old oil out I could get before winter came. I also installed new filter and used M1 5w-40 synthetic. I performed a used oil analysis on each oil sample, and received an oil report as well. Only negative comments were high percentage of wear metals in oil at 18 hour mark. I worked my tractor hard those first 18 hours, and feel my engine break in was was complete, or nearly complete. I had no issues going to synthetic at that time, nor have I seen any issues of doing so. As other have said, this is one of many opions. The only person you have to please is yourself, and then live with decisions. Philip.

  8. #28
    Super Star Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    16,810
    Location
    Missouri
    Tractor
    Kubota, John Deere, Case, Massey Ferguson, Ford

    Default Re: Would you do 50hr service @ 10hrs?

    Quote Originally Posted by stoyan79 View Post
    First off, I want to say Hi to my fellow Hoosier

    I am in South Bend area.

    So, here is what I am thinking. I will try to put 10 more hours this summer and will vary the RPMs when bush hogging from 1,500 to 2,500. I will give it a good work out.

    Then right before winter, hopefully right at around 20 hours I will dump the oil and switch to Amsoil 5w-40 synthetic diesel oil.
    What is your 540 PTO rated engine RPM?
    Thread on helpful tractor abbreviations: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/o...-acronyms.html

  9. #29
    Veteran Member PHILIP8N's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,259
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Tractor
    Kubota L3940 Ford 8N Ford 6000

    Default Re: Would you do 50hr service @ 10hrs?

    -bushhog3-jpgSounds like a good plan. I did not break my tractor in like I would have hoped to. I drove it from dealer to farm, about 5 miles, at full engine rpm, stopping every once in a while to vary rpm's. I let it idle while hooking up bush hog, then did this for 2 straight days in 80-90F ambient a 2650 engine rpm, only stopping to clear radiator screen and refuel. When finished, I had 18 hours and dumped oil. Philip.
    Kubota L3940HST-1 2009
    84" front blade
    LA724 loader w/quick attach
    HD 72" round back bucket
    turf tires
    Kubota GR2120 2013
    Ford 8N 1950
    Ford 6000 diesel 1961
    JD L110 2003
    Woods RD7200 finish mower, Land Pride RCR1272 rotary cutter, Bearcat CH5540 5" chipper, L8170 ballast box, 6' Woods pulverizer, 6' Dragon box scrapper with hydraulic rippers, 14" 2 bottom plow, sub-soiler, post hole auger, 3 point pallet forks, 30" rear scoop, 7' Land Pride RB1584 rear blade, 3 point boom pole

  10. #30
    Super Member Gary Fowler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    8,310
    Location
    Bismarck Arkansas
    Tractor
    2009 Kubota RTV 900, 2009 Kubota B26 TLB & 2010 model LS P7010

    Default Re: Would you do 50hr service @ 10hrs?

    Quote Originally Posted by stoyan79 View Post
    First off, I want to say Hi to my fellow Hoosier

    I am in South Bend area.

    So, here is what I am thinking. I will try to put 10 more hours this summer and will vary the RPMs when bush hogging from 1,500 to 2,500. I will give it a good work out.

    Then right before winter, hopefully right at around 20 hours I will dump the oil and switch to Amsoil 5w-40 synthetic diesel oil.
    I would agree with that plan. I think the so called break in oils are something like 10W-30 non detergent oil and not the high detergents like normal diesel oil. When I changed my oil after 48 hours and one year, the oil was clear as honey and I thought, man this engine runs clean. Most diesel oil is black as graphite within 1 hour of use. Well I put new Rotella T6 synthetic 10W-40 in as replacement. After just a few hours of running, the oil was fairly black as it should be with diesel engines. My manual was also specific as to not using a synthetic until after the 50 hour break in period (no reason given on this ) It took me over a year to get the 50 hours on it but I wasn't worried about the time. Just like you, the tractor is so big that I get my work done fast. The most work it did was in the 3 days right after I got it. I dug a pond with it running 10 hours a day for about 25 hours. The manual said to load the engine and vary the RPM for break in and using the FEL digging was as much load as I could put on it.
    2010 LS P-7010C 20F/20R gear tractor & FEL, 2009 Kubota B 26 TLB, RTV 900 Kubota,17 foot Lund boat with 70HP motor, 2012-20 ft 12k GVW trailer, 2011- 52" Craftsman ZTR mower, 2013 Ferris Zero Turn, 3 weed whackers, pressure washer, leaf blowers, 7 foot bush hog, 8 foot landscape rake , 8 foot 3 PH disc, 2 row cultivator, 350 amp Miller AC/DC welding machine and all the tools needed to keep them all repaired and running.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. 50hr service do it yourself???
    By Typhoon in forum Kioti Owning/Operating
    Replies: 77
    Last Post: 03-08-2009, 05:47 PM
  2. little help w/ 50hr service
    By fiddleback in forum Kioti Owning/Operating
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 10-18-2006, 10:47 PM
  3. 50hr service
    By travelingman in forum Kubota Owning/Operating
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-09-2005, 09:58 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
© 2014 TractorByNet.com. TractorByNet is a registered trademark of IMC Digital Universe, Inc. Other trademarks on this page are the property of their respective owners.