Would you do 50hr service @ 10hrs?

/ Would you do 50hr service @ 10hrs?
It is 2425, which feels high to me. I have found that the sweet spot is around 2,000-2,200.

What is your 540 PTO rated engine RPM?

Thats good idea. If I can't get to 20 hours, maybe I will just drive it on the road (no traffic on my road) for few miles @ high gear and will vary the RPMs until I get to 20 hours, then when its still warm I will dump the oil and change it.

View attachment 305253Sounds like a good plan. I did not break my tractor in like I would have hoped to. I drove it from dealer to farm, about 5 miles, at full engine rpm, stopping every once in a while to vary rpm's. I let it idle while hooking up bush hog, then did this for 2 straight days in 80-90F ambient a 2650 engine rpm, only stopping to clear radiator screen and refuel. When finished, I had 18 hours and dumped oil. Philip.

/ Would you do 50hr service @ 10hrs? #33  
Not sure if someone has said this, but probably there was. I would change all the filters on the machine at least once during the machines warranty period. You may find things that have been collecting in there that may indicate a problem. It would be better to know that while you still have a warranty on it. If they look clean, I think an argument could be made to put them back on. Most likely though, one of your filters will have a lot of metal shavings in it from the manufacturing price. My hydraulic filter did, and many others on here have found that too. However, I would want to make sure that there were enough hours and use of the hyrdraulics though to make sure it has worked them all out to the filter. Would be best to find a job for that tractor to tackle.

/ Would you do 50hr service @ 10hrs? #34  
Not sure if someone has said this, but probably there was. I would change all the filters on the machine at least once during the machines warranty period. You may find things that have been collecting in there that may indicate a problem. It would be better to know that while you still have a warranty on it. If they look clean, I think an argument could be made to put them back on. Most likely though, one of your filters will have a lot of metal shavings in it from the manufacturing price. My hydraulic filter did, and many others on here have found that too. However, I would want to make sure that there were enough hours and use of the hyrdraulics though to make sure it has worked them all out to the filter. Would be best to find a job for that tractor to tackle.

You bring up a good point.
To the OP, how do you store your tractor? Heated shop, outdoors in the sun, sheltered or whatever. I don't think there is anything you can do to your 10 hour tractor that will damage long term. That being said, if you allow your oils to absorb condensation, that can bring some problems to you, for example diluted oil will provide less lubrication, also possibility on corrosion. It likely is treated a severe duty cycle in your manual. I don't think synthetic oils are any better in your situation.
If I was in your situation I try and find a neighbour that needs help instead of driving up and down your road! Better for your tractor to see real work than carboning up even if its pulling high gear. Plus I'm sure your neighbour will appreciate the "free" help. My old fordson tractor needed workouts in the field not just mowing duties.

/ Would you do 50hr service @ 10hrs? #35  
Funny I feel I am abusing the tractor by changing the oil once a year, but thats still better then once every 100 hours that dealer recommends. They do not talk about time frames like vehicles that recommend 3 months or 3,000 miles, what ever comes first. I don't know what the bigger tractors hold, but 4-5 litres and a $10 filter is a small price to pay once a year.

/ Would you do 50hr service @ 10hrs? #36  
It is 2425, which feels high to me. I have found that the sweet spot is around 2,000-2,200.

For someone use to running the older tractors and I was one of them, the PTO speeds on more modern tractors does seem high. I have gotten use to it over the years and run all of mine at full PTO engine speed. There are several threads on this.

I think I will change the oil once every 2 years as I will be well below the hours for an oil change.

Funny I feel I am abusing the tractor by changing the oil once a year, but thats still better then once every 100 hours that dealer recommends. They do not talk about time frames like vehicles that recommend 3 months or 3,000 miles, what ever comes first. I don't know what the bigger tractors hold, but 4-5 litres and a $10 filter is a small price to pay once a year.

/ Would you do 50hr service @ 10hrs? #38  
I tend to favor an annual approach for maintenance of seldomly used equipment. Its a good opportunity to check things over thouroughly and provides a peace of mind knowing things are ready to work. For long intervals I also like to put a visible date on the filters so I can remember when I changed it last.Two years could easily turn into to three if your memory runs like mine sometimes.

/ Would you do 50hr service @ 10hrs? #39  
For seldom used equipment I go 2 years as well (lawn mowers, generator, pressure washer, snow blowers, some tractors). I keep a spread sheet on the barn wall of all equipment wih date, hours/miles done, and date, hours/miles for next. It is a very long list with 17 engines and 2 compressors, only way I can keep track of it all. Philip.

/ Would you do 50hr service @ 10hrs? #40  
I would change the engine oil only also. At this point however I would not put synthetic in, need to break it in good first.

Thats an old wives tale!