B3200 first Workout

/ B3200 first Workout #1  

David Devuono

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B4200\MF 135\Kubota B3200
I hauled my new B3200 up to camp on the weekend. I knew from loading it on an icy driveway at the dealer that it was not going to be too good in snow\ice. Anyway I made the best of it making sure to clear snow on the down hill runs. Seems the B3200 was not designed for winter work because one of the first times I got off the tractor, wearing a parka, my coat caught the HST Range selector and proceeded to crack the plastic housing rather badly. Next mishap was noticing a black object in the snow. Getting off the tractor I discovered it was the tripod mount for my camera and oh, my pocket was empty. A little digging around and I found my camera, err toast. So no pictures.

The other reason I think they did not design the B3200 for winters is the 30 mm (1.25 in) clearance between the tires and inner fender. Today I started making up some rear tire chains but there is only really room to use 3\16 chain so will see how the small gauge holds up. Also there is so little front tire and only about .5 in clearance on the Tie-rod end, that front chains may not be an option.

Not sure I am liking the Loader control on the Fender, my knee often engages the bucket curl. Without chains, I was constantly using the diff lock and found it requires a bit too much weight shift to be comfortable. I believe it is missing a pad that may make it easier then the curved Rod that is there now.

I brought the bucket home with me and will be bracing the top rail and adding a tow hook for lifting.

/ B3200 first Workout #3  
I haven't seen a tractor yet that there hasn't been learning curves! I've fallen nearly flat on my face when exiting tractors from levers up my pant legs as well as loosing a camera! Didn't have the tri-pod to alert me and it was a total loss!

I hope that as time goes on things get better for you! There are wheel spacers available from Kubota that would allow you to use chains. My guess is you have industrial tires? You should check your air pressure, to much air is to hard of a tire and no traction!

/ B3200 first Workout
Pic of the B4200 with my Mad max snow pusher and the B3200.

Attachments

• Old and the New.JPG
    Old and the New.JPG
    365.9 KB · Views: 618
   / B3200 first Workout #5  
Chuckling at "Mad Max" comment!!:laughing:

/ B3200 first Workout #6  
I have a B3300SU & I installed 2" Bro-Tek wheel spacers on the rear so I can use chains in the future if I pull the trigger on a set.

Attachments

• image-436865731.jpg
    image-436865731.jpg
    486.3 KB · Views: 349
   / B3200 first Workout
I may make up some wheel spacers if my narrow gauge chains don't hold up or still interfere. I know Kubota was looking to make more room for the operator but really, without designing it for chains in the first place, they are basically making a 3 season tractor and the 4th season is 5 months long up here.

/ B3200 first Workout #8  
The R4 tires are 100% of your traction problems in the snow. I switched from R4 to R1 ag tires on my B3200 and the difference in the snow and ice is night and day. I have never felt the need for chains once I got the new tires. I'm sure we don't get as much snow as you do up there, but we occasionally get a big one. I've had no trouble navigating snow as deep as the front axle. If you don't like/need the R1 ag tires, turf tires are also excellent in the snow.

/ B3200 first Workout #9  
In Upstate NY in the snow belt, I have R4's on my B3200. I don't have chains, and while I admit our last two winters were probably the mildest winters in recent history, I haven't had any problems with traction. My driveway is gravel, I have up to a 20 degree grade, and snow blow or plow with my box blade without any significant problems. I typically also clear three other 200' driveways including paved and grassed without traction problems. I even towed my GMC 2500 crew cab 4X4 out of trouble when it got stuck behind my house on that 20 degree grade I mentioned above. Others have said I will need chains when I try to drive over iced hard pack, but haven't encountered that yet!

image-1117088986.jpg

image-126788401.jpg

image-4181643777.jpg

/ B3200 first Workout
The R4 tires are 100% of your traction problems in the snow. I switched from R4 to R1 ag tires on my B3200 and the difference in the snow and ice is night and day. I have never felt the need for chains once I got the new tires. I'm sure we don't get as much snow as you do up there, but we occasionally get a big one. I've had no trouble navigating snow as deep as the front axle. If you don't like/need the R1 ag tires, turf tires are also excellent in the snow.

I have Loaded R1's on my Massey. Not really good on snow with frozen earth below, but it will go anywhere when I put the chains on. You won't know what your missing until you try chains, except if you have pavement chains will mark it.