Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kubota B4200\MF 135\Kubota B3200

Default Re: Rossi 5-foot Sickle on BX25 - Video Link

They maybe talking about the Float position. I think mine is the same. I have not tried it yet but it would allow your bucket to float with the ground undulations rather then dig in. Not sure if you want that when mowing?
    Unimogdave

3v0
    Tractor
    Kubota BX2200

Quote Originally Posted by Wingsy View Post
    Cause I forgot. But I'd never wear a seatbelt anyway when mowing around the pond. I have this fear of drowning and would want to eject myself from the tractor if it goes in. Usually I have the ROPS up and wear the seatbelt when on a slope.
    Because one can forget to put up the tall ROPS I think the shorter fixed ones are still a better setup. I do like that they have gone wider so there is less chance of getting caught between the ROPS and the ground.

That is one sweet mower setup.

I am guessing that that pond does not have a liner. If it does someone did a nice job on the edge. I like it.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota M5640SUD

thanks for sharing...nice setup...

Tractor
    Kubota BX24

ok - I now have another question. Dont you find it a little difficult to disconnect under pressure when then FEL is up in the air? it must be harder to reconnect FEL hoses.

As for the way dealer suggested to be connected - david is right about float. If you push the FEL stick past detent - the sickle can now float in the lumpy conditions instead of locking and digging in. Give it a try - I think you will learn that its a nice feature. If you still want to lift/lower constantly, then feel free to swap the hoses so its more "natural" to you. it won't hurt a thing. Dealer suggested to leave it as is as it the float feature you most likely should use. Granted - you cant use float on pond edges, but in the fields its useful.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Kubota BX2660

Quote Originally Posted by PeterK View Post
    The cutter is nice by why is the ROPS down and no seatbelt ? No too safe IMO.
    I was thinking the same thing, and then came the "pucker factor".

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Kubota BX24 TLB

Safety is something we should never forget or we'd end up in the Safety forum, and that's NOT good.

Tractor
    Kubota BX25

Nice video and neat setup. I think the issue the dealer is referring to when he tried to hook it up so stick-right would move it down and stick-left would move it up is the regen. function. You can do a search here on what regen is but it's common to employ it in the FEL dump/curl circuit. As I understand it, with regen, hydraulic oil moves from one end of the cylinder to the other as you dump the bucket thereby giving you a more controlled dump. If you push the stick all the way right past the detent (which you should be able to feel), you'll go past the regen feature of the FEL valve to fast dump, where the hydraulic oil is sent back to the tank. I don't believe that is the same as float, which you only have on the boom/up-down circuit of your FEL.

But, you could use the FEL boom circuit with the float feature to run the sickle-bar mower. Might be intuitive since pushing the stick forward would drop the mower and pulling it back would raise it like you're use to with the FEL. If you could mount some sort of anti-scalp wheel on the end of the mower and put it in float, it might follow the ground contour nicely, except for mole mounds or the like.

Let us know how it works out after you've used it some more.
    Chris

2 acres and a mule, er, Kubota BX25, and too many other toys,er, tools to list.

Tractor
    Kubota BX25

Quote Originally Posted by CHDinCT View Post
    Nice video and neat setup. I think the issue the dealer is referring to when he tried to hook it up so stick-right would move it down and stick-left would move it up is the regen. function. You can do a search here on what regen is but it's common to employ it in the FEL dump/curl circuit. As I understand it, with regen, hydraulic oil moves from one end of the cylinder to the other as you dump the bucket thereby giving you a more controlled dump. If you push the stick all the way right past the detent (which you should be able to feel), you'll go past the regen feature of the FEL valve to fast dump, where the hydraulic oil is sent back to the tank. I don't believe that is the same as float, which you only have on the boom/up-down circuit of your FEL.

But, you could use the FEL boom circuit with the float feature to run the sickle-bar mower. Might be intuitive since pushing the stick forward would drop the mower and pulling it back would raise it like you're use to with the FEL. If you could mount some sort of anti-scalp wheel on the end of the mower and put it in float, it might follow the ground contour nicely, except for mole mounds or the like.

OK, here's what I think I know. If I move the curl control to the right past the detent position, the bucket tilts downward slowly and with enough force to raise the front end of the tractor. It's as the dealer said, it's a slow controlled dump. If I push the control forward past that detent position, the boom floats. I don't have a float feature for the curl, just the boom.

When I lower the bar it just takes the pressure off the bar lift cylinder and the bar lowers itself from a strong spring. It's what keeps the sickle in contact with the ground at all times, limited by how far the cylinder is extended. It's like the cylinder sets the lower limit and the spring allows the bar to ride over humps in the ground. At least that's how I understand it. And if I had level ground to mow that's probably how I would use it. As it is, if I did this around the ponds or down that hill, I'd be cutting into soil at times (a bad thing, like getting your chain saw into the dirt, right?) because the humps are often in the middle section of the bar where there is no skid.

And now, after using it to cut all around my ponds, I realize that cutting is the easy part of the story. Cleaning up the mess left behind is the other part and is why I can barely walk today. Back-breaking work to fish out all the stuff in the lake and rake up all the trash left behind. I wish it would cut, then mulch! Maybe I need another attachment to do the raking. And a bigger building to keep up with my attachment collection. Does it ever end???
    Kubota BX25, FEL, Backhoe, Rossi 5-foot sickle mower, 54" E.A. Box Blade, 48" Howse Rotary Cutter, 9 Acres + 2 Ponds = Future Log Home Site. Little Experience and still learning.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    JD 2320

Quote Originally Posted by David Devuono View Post
    They maybe talking about the Float position. I think mine is the same. I have not tried it yet but it would allow your bucket to float with the ground undulations rather then dig in. Not sure if you want that when mowing?
    The curl circuit has no float position. it has regen istead of float.

Quote Originally Posted by radioman View Post
    ok - I now have another question. Dont you find it a little difficult to disconnect under pressure when then FEL is up in the air? it must be harder to reconnect FEL hoses.
    the boom is still connected so there is no pressure on the circuit.

Quote Originally Posted by CHDinCT View Post

I would be willing to bet the loader is still on the tractor as required ballast so disconnecting the boom would cause the difficulties mentioned above
    regen works by making the bucket FAST DUMP. the way it works is when in regen hydraulic pressure is ported to BOTH sides of the cylinder. and between the bucket cylinders being unbalanced(more power/less speed one way and more speed but less power the other) and gravity it dumps fast and also keeps the floppy bucket syndrome from happening
    2010 JD 2320, 200cx, Frontier 1060R RFM, 2048 BB, LR1072 rake, IMatch, 5 suitcase weights.
    NEED MORE IMPLEMENTS!

Tractor
    Kubota BX24

Quote Originally Posted by Wingsy View Post
    Does it ever end???
    Why would you want it to??!!
    Deano
    2006 BX24, 6' New Implements rake, Woods RB60 rear blade, Wallenstein thumb, Bro-Tek rear skid plate, home made front skid plate, W.R. Long flat tooth bar, 4' finishing mower (TPH), 4' box blade, post hole digger, New style seat!!!!! Country Manufacturing manure spreader, Agri-Fab drop spreader.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast