Soundproofing the B3030 Cab and found something interesting

/ Soundproofing the B3030 Cab and found something interesting #11  
I'd consider double sided sticky tape or contact cement to make it all stay where you want it to. Good solution. Realize that true sound isolation occurs when there is a void between surfaces so that sound gets trapped in the void and cannot transfer from surface a to surface b. You're effectively dampening the sound transfer in the padding vs. eliminating it by stopping the sound waves from getting across the 'void'.

/ Soundproofing the B3030 Cab and found something interesting #12  
I'd consider double sided sticky tape or contact cement to make it all stay where you want it to. Good solution. Realize that true sound isolation occurs when there is a void between surfaces so that sound gets trapped in the void and cannot transfer from surface a to surface b. You're effectively dampening the sound transfer in the padding vs. eliminating it by stopping the sound waves from getting across the 'void'.

WaxMan, with what Coyote machine is saying is there a way to create a "void" between the surfaces so the sound is eliminated vs dampening it? Doesn't sound like there is enough room to create a void, which is a shame, but I can't tell by the photos if there is some way to create the "void".

/ Soundproofing the B3030 Cab and found something interesting #13  
I"ll post some pictures as I go if anyone is interested.

Yes please, I am very interested because I also want to try to seal up the cab from dust migration. Did you also have to remove the seat?

/ Soundproofing the B3030 Cab and found something interesting
WaxMan, with what Coyote machine is saying is there a way to create a "void" between the surfaces so the sound is eliminated vs dampening it? Doesn't sound like there is enough room to create a void, which is a shame, but I can't tell by the photos if there is some way to create the "void".
The only place the middle of the floor touches anything is that plate on top the HST It's about 6 x 8 inches. That is what supports the floor in the middle. It cannot be made into a void. The only thing, which was my first though is put one 2 or 3 inch rubber motor mount there but that would put all the stress on that one spot.

Over time the floor might crack/ sag ? where the one mount is because it is not reinforced for that one spot.Then I thought of putting 4 rubber 3/4 dia. mounts hitting only in four spots. Then I found the rubber pad Using the rubber pad shown previously, it has many voids in the 6x6 area but it still covers almost the exact spot that Kubota designed the floor to be supported by, only instead of crushed foam bringing it down to metal to metal it will have that rubber piece with many void areas in the rubber.

If you zoom in on the rubber it has many voids and only the outline of the squares rest on the floor and HST. I think that is the best I can do for voids, unless someone has a better idea? I'm open for any suggesting.
The floor has to be supported some how, it can't just hover over the HST. It always has to end up in dampening somewhere in a horizontal application with weight on top. Only way it can be a complete void is vertical between walls or something where weigh is not a factor.
The more I think about it that mat seems like it will work pretty good. I ordered a 3/4 inch thick and a 3/8 inch thick 6x6 mat. I'll have it tomorrow. I think the 3/4 will work OK, but if not I'll used the 3/8 which I know will work because that is the thickness of the foam before being crushed to metal contact which probably happens the day it was assembled at Kubota.

/ Soundproofing the B3030 Cab and found something interesting
Yes please, I am very interested because I also want to try to seal up the cab from dust migration. Did you also have to remove the seat?

Yes only because when you remove the floor panel the seat is just dangling there, it's only four bolts and gets it out of the way. You don't have to remove the sheet metal the seat is resting on. Although now that I see how nice the new soundproofing is I might redo that area too.
It's very easy to remove the seat and floor panels. This is not a hard project to do, How much will it deaden the sound is the question.
From what I have seen so far it should make a big improvement. This picture will give you a better idea of what has to be removed.

Attachments

• IMG_2083.JPG
    IMG_2083.JPG
    606.4 KB · Views: 628
Last edited:
   / Soundproofing the B3030 Cab and found something interesting #16  
What you plan to do should significantly dampen the sound transmission from the trans, and possibly from the engine as well, into the cab. It would be virtually impossible to eliminate all noise transferred because the cab has to be attached to the frame/chassis of the tractor. I'm sure you will notice significant improvement from your efforts.
Keep us apprised with pics of your process.:thumbsup:

/ Soundproofing the B3030 Cab and found something interesting #17  
The only place the middle of the floor touches anything is that plate on top the HST It's about 6 x 8 inches. That is what supports the floor in the middle. It cannot be made into a void.

It's a shame Kubota did not put some type of floor brace or strut to support the floor to separate the it from the transmission. Regardless you've got some expensive and very good products to suppress the noise and vibration. Keep up the good work! Stanley

/ Soundproofing the B3030 Cab and found something interesting #18  
   / Soundproofing the B3030 Cab and found something interesting #19  
The link RFB posted is a good place to start. We do some vibration isolation with equipment. The one thing some people don't consider is isolating the bolts. If you have a machine that produces vibration, any bolts fastening to it should be isolated as well. If you insert a pad between the vibrating piece of steel and the part you want to isolate, the bolt should be installed using rubber bushings and washers so the bolt doesn't short-circuit the isolation material. Otherwise the bolt will conduct the vibrations from one surface to the next.

/ Soundproofing the B3030 Cab and found something interesting #20  
the bolt should be installed using rubber bushings and washers so the bolt doesn't short-circuit the isolation material. Otherwise the bolt will conduct the vibrations from one surface to the next.

Chim, that makes a lot of sense but the only problem I see with the B3030 is that there isn't a lot of room between the bolt and the floor. Can you suggest a remedy for this? Thanks for your advice.