mmm or rear finish mower for bx25

/ mmm or rear finish mower for bx25 #31  
MMM or RFM..

I have 20*+ slopes and i use a MMM. I went with MMM because I figured it would give me a lower COG.

Now I wish I had gone with the RFM. I dont believe the MMM makes much if any difference to COG. I have my tires loaded and believe that the loaded tires are a far better investment for maintaining stability.

The best thing about RFM is that it is much easier to install (particularly if you have a rear quick hitch). Another big benefit is that you can back under trees and other overhangs.

If I had to do it over, Id go RFM for sure, and add wheel spacers. And possibly weighted tires. Now that im comfortable on my slopes, i wonder if I even need the loaded tires for mowing, although they do help with the front loader and traction with ground engaging equipment, like a box blade.

/ mmm or rear finish mower for bx25 #32  
I think a MMM is easier for the tractor to pull than a RFM.

/ mmm or rear finish mower for bx25 #33  
Man you guys are making it a real hard call for MMM vs. RFM. I am glad I don't need to make the decision for a about a year. Since I have significant slope and will be putting 2in wheel spacers on, I know my MMM will be 60in if I go that way. At this point I can see me mowing weekly and still having BH projects going for bulkhead/terracing, drainage ditch work so I am leaning toward MMM. I think I would get tired of constantly switching from BH to RFM. Again talking with no experience.

It would be cool if there was a warning signal when traversing a slope that would sense your BH location (not in uphill position)! Is this a stupid mod idea from a newbie???

/ mmm or rear finish mower for bx25 #34  
I doubt you will mow with the bh, too heavy. I've had both. Depends on your particular situation/lot. mmm give a nicer cut, more nimble. The rfm is cheaper and mine were more robust so the can double as a light duty bush hog. Another option is to check out a quality residential ztr or a used commercial ztr. The investment isn't much more, then you don't have R&R the deck all the time.
Good luck.

/ mmm or rear finish mower for bx25 #35  
I doubt you will mow with the bh, too heavy. I've had both. Depends on your particular situation/lot. mmm give a nicer cut, more nimble. The rfm is cheaper and mine were more robust so the can double as a light duty bush hog. Another option is to check out a quality residential ztr or a used commercial ztr. The investment isn't much more, then you don't have R&R the deck all the time.
Good luck.
I am not too worried about quality of cut. Again my backyard is sloped will have orchard trees, berry rows, and just need grass for erosion control and will not be watered. My little front yard is manicured, beautiful with sprinkler system and is handled by my trusty Honda push mower. I expect this grass to be somewhere between that and pasture grass.

Last edited:
   / mmm or rear finish mower for bx25 #36  
I am too worried about quality of cut. Again my backyard is sloped will have orchard trees, berry rows, and just need grass for erosion control and will not be watered. My little front yard is manicured, beautiful with sprinkler system and is handled by my trusty Honda push mower. I expect this grass to be somewhere between that and pasture grass.

I retract my ztr recommendation if your mowing trees on a slope. Ztr s have disadvantages, steep grades is one of those disadvantages.