L3800 wider stance w/ rear tires, how easy to do?

/ L3800 wider stance w/ rear tires, how easy to do? #1  

redsox1

Silver Member
Tractor
L3800 HST
Put chains on my rear tires, almost no side clearance and they clank and rub a bit on the frame. I've heard of people setting their rear tires wider. I don't need much more clearance, how hard is it to do? Any cons to this? I figure another plus would be better stablility on hills. I don't understand why they don't set up all tractors to have more clearance to start with.

/ L3800 wider stance w/ rear tires, how easy to do? #2  
What type of rear tires do you have, R4 or R1? Are your rims 2-piece or single piece welded style? R4's usually need spacers between the rim and the hub, and usually come on 1-piece rims. There's not much you can do with them other than adding spacers. R1 (ag-type) tires are normally on 2-piece rims and are easy to widen or narrow the stance, a little tricky to handle if they are loaded with water though.

Sean

/ L3800 wider stance w/ rear tires, how easy to do? #3  
You'll need wheel spacers for chains on an L3800. Kubota sells a kit for this. I had them put on my L3200 when I bought it.

/ L3800 wider stance w/ rear tires, how easy to do? #4  
What type of rear tires do you have, R4 or R1? Are your rims 2-piece or single piece welded style? R4's usually need spacers between the rim and the hub, and usually come on 1-piece rims. There's not much you can do with them other than adding spacers. R1 (ag-type) tires are normally on 2-piece rims and are easy to widen or narrow the stance, a little tricky to handle if they are loaded with water though.

Sean

Exactly. With R1 rears you simply reverse the dish to rim to gain first step wider. To achieve max width you need to reverse rims which requires remounting tires to reverse the lugs. This is covered in the owner's manual.....

R4 rim/tires; don't have them and don't know but Sean seems knowledgeable about them coming with one piece wheels.

I run an L3700 stepped out one time, and would have room for chains, if required.

/ L3800 wider stance w/ rear tires, how easy to do? #5  
I have R1s' set out and have plenty of clearance for chains... Another plus for R1 Ag tires.

Like said, if you have R4s', you'll need spacers.

/ L3800 wider stance w/ rear tires, how easy to do?
I'm running loaded R4's and they are on 1 piece rims. PeterC, do you remember about how much the spacer kit from Kubota was? Also is this something I can do myself if I get some help handling the tires? Anyone try this at home?

/ L3800 wider stance w/ rear tires, how easy to do? #7  
If you follow the attach PDF instructions, you should be able to do this job safely. Always good to have a buddy to help.
We sell a rear set 2" spacers for $290 includes Shipping & all the nuts & bolts to complete the job

Attachments

• Kubota B-16mm Wheel Spacer Instruction.pdf
    448.4 KB · Views: 740
   / L3800 wider stance w/ rear tires, how easy to do? #8  
I'm running loaded R4's and they are on 1 piece rims. PeterC, do you remember about how much the spacer kit from Kubota was? Also is this something I can do myself if I get some help handling the tires? Anyone try this at home?

I have loaded R4's also. I'm pretty sure the cost was close to 300 clams but I don't have my invoice handy right now. I didn't get charged for labor to install because this was on a new tractor. When I went shopping for an L series, I knew that I was likely going to want to run chains on the rears (due to experience with my B series on ice and how much chains helped) , took one look at the existing clearance and started asking questions about wheel spacers. I think you might be able to do it yourself with help, I know some members have.

/ L3800 wider stance w/ rear tires, how easy to do? #9  
Redsox1, I bought a set of the 2" spacers from Bro-Tek. Truthfully - they were machined so beautifully that I almost wanted to just sit them on the mantle as a piece art! Their kit had everything in it that you'd need except the small amount of red Locktite :) Bro-Tek's price is not cheap, but neither was your tractor.

You 'could' put them on yourself. Just be careful of the tire/wheel weight if your tires are loaded. I let the Kubota dealer put mine on when I had my L3400 in for service. He charged $40 for the task, which for me, was too cheap for me to chance dropping a tire on a leg, etc. since I'm all alone out here in the sticks.

They'll make your tractor feel like a different animal for sure.

btw, I have no affiliation whatsoever with Bro-Tek.

/ L3800 wider stance w/ rear tires, how easy to do? #10  
If you follow the attach PDF instructions, you should be able to do this job safely. Always good to have a buddy to help.
We sell a rear set 2" spacers for $290 includes Shipping & all the nuts & bolts to complete the job

I have the Bro-Tek 2" spacers in my B3300SU. I have a backhoe so my neighbor & I were able to use that to lift the rear end. They are great!