Block plug leak

/ Block plug leak #1  

IanM

Tractor
Kubota L2550GST
This morning my '93 Kubota L2550 developed a small water leak at what looks like a freeze protection plug in the block between the exhaust manifold and alternator. The repair manual doesn't mention the plugs (there are three on that side of the block) and they don't show up in any diagram I can find. Has anyone had experience replacing one of these? How difficult is it?

Thanks in advance.
Ian

/ Block plug leak #2  
Unless you actually want to try to press in an identical metal plug I think any good auto parts store will have a replacement plug.

Freeze Plug | AutoZone.com

Getting the old one out may be harder than wrenching in the replacement.

Take Care,
Doug in SW IA

/ Block plug leak #5  
Knock it out by hitting a corner to flip the plug, then use pliers to pull it out. Be careful though, they can be close to cylinder walls, just do not go whaling on it with the punch and hammer.
They go make install tools that make install easy on hard to reach ones, but if you have a straight shot you can use a socket and extension.
Look at my block heater install post for pics that may help explain it.

/ Block plug leak
The tractor has only 1200 hours on it and the coolant's been changed once or twice.

/ Block plug leak
Thanks for the help. We have rain here today (finally) and am going to get right on it. As the leak is very small I may try an additive first.

/ Block plug leak #8  
Coolant changed once or twice over 20 years is the problem... The anti rust additives breakdown wit Time, Not operation hours.
It is very likely that the other core plugs are about rusted through, from the inside... You should change ALL of them and inspect all steel components in the system.
Typical coolant should be changed 7 to 10 times in a 20 year period, Long Life coolants 4 change out & flushes.... This should serve as a reminder to others... Just because antifreeze will not freeze, is No indication that it is still good.

Last edited:
   / Block plug leak #9  
Coolant changed once or twice over 20 years is the problem... The anti rust additives breakdown wit Time, Not operation hours.
It is very likely that the other core plugs are about rusted through, from the inside... You should change ALL of them and inspect all steel components in the system.
Typical coolant should be changed 7 to 10 times in a 20 year period, Long Life coolants 4 change out & flushes.... This should serve as a reminder to others... Just because antifreeze will not freeze, is No indication that it is still good.

I agree & want to add STAY AWAY FROM THOSE COOLING SYSTEM SEALERS! They may plug up the leaks fine, but the problem is that they also plug up everything else.

/ Block plug leak #10  
Ian,
I'd check with a Kubota dealer if possible before trying to remove the plug. On newer models the plug needs to be removed with something like a slide hammer, i.e, drill a small hole in the center of the plug, screw in slide hammer attachment and knock it out. The block opening behind the plug may not be a through hole as there may be only a narrow slot behind the plug into the water chamber. Because of this you may not be able to turn the plug. Also, because of the small slot it's important to drill the small hole as close to the center of the plug as possible.

This morning my '93 Kubota L2550 developed a small water leak at what looks like a freeze protection plug in the block between the exhaust manifold and alternator. The repair manual doesn't mention the plugs (there are three on that side of the block) and they don't show up in any diagram I can find. Has anyone had experience replacing one of these? How difficult is it?

Thanks in advance.
Ian