Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3130 HST

Default Re: BX2200 Wont Start, New Battery, fule pump runs and starter clicks

There are two ways of thinking about this: 4shorts, who is a professional, and for whom time is money, and the other guy, who is just trying to get by, and maybe has less money. This reminded me of troubles I had with a Camry starter in the early 90's- the warranty was over, and the starter was giving me trouble. I had time, not so much money. I wound up soldering a piece of fabricated brass where something had been mis-aligned at the factory had worn thru, and the fix lasted for many years, until I got rid of the car, anyway. The started was Toyota-fine, otherwise. Sure, it would have been much quicker and easier to put in a new one, and had I been charging somebody to fix it, that would have made sense. But...

Tractor
    Big & Small one :)

Quote Originally Posted by ibnxe View Post
    I guess I'm from the old school. I almost always disassemble failed components to see what went wrong... and repair, if it is something simple.
    Quote Originally Posted by varmint View Post
    There are two ways of thinking about this: 4shorts, who is a professional, and for whom time is money, and the other guy, who is just trying to get by, and maybe has less money. This reminded me of troubles I had with a Camry starter in the early 90's- the warranty was over, and the starter was giving me trouble. I had time, not so much money. I wound up soldering a piece of fabricated brass where something had been mis-aligned at the factory had worn thru, and the fix lasted for many years, until I got rid of the car, anyway. The started was Toyota-fine, otherwise. Sure, it would have been much quicker and easier to put in a new one, and had I been charging somebody to fix it, that would have made sense. But...
    This is a situation where none of is wrong. You both have very valid points and for myself I might have just did the repair IF I could have just got the one part but if your going to the dealer to buy a solenoid you'd be much better off getting a rebuilt starter with a three year warranty for 1/3rd the cost of the one dealer part with no warranty plus in my case it would have to be ordered in and that can take days on an island.

Also IF you just need to put brushes in the starter its really useless to do that unless you have a lathe near by to cut the armature. Put new brushes on a old armature and its going to let you down.

Now from my stand point Varmint got it right. If I take a customers tractor, car ..... And just repair the starter and charge for example two hours to install the solenoid and that starter ends up with other issues shortly after, what do you think the customer will say?
    I bet it will go like this " Heck man. It was only the other day I spent $150 on this starter and its broken again! "

To avoid that issue I replace the starter for 1/3 of the cost with the 3 year warranty and if it causes an issue with in 90 days I replace it for free and after the 90 days he gets the 3 year warranty and just pays the labour.

Face it. If the solenoid is bad in the starter what's the bushings, armature, bendix drive, windings like? I bet there's other weak components in there as well. These are the reasons I say replace the starter plus the fact the end user is satisfied. I think that's more than fair. As I say, everyone has great points and this is just mine
    ...Excellence is not a skill. It is an attitude...

Visit us on the web @ www.specialtyrepairs.ca

YouTube Video's: http://www.youtube.com/user/7863348?feature=guide

2011 Kubota 5740/854 FEL/L2674 Blower/Artic Angle blade with 3rd function set up,Rain Tracker Wiper system, custom built vertical exhaust,Grammer Air Ride Seat and other custom stuff
    2013 Kubota BX25D with many mods
    Kubota ZTR ZG 222 Z
    Custom Toyota Fork Lift

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3130 HST

Reading this thread got me remembering a story I heard from a guy who runs a marine outboard engine repair shop on Maryland's Eastern Shore- a location with lots of boats and motors. You'd think he'd be in a good place, but when they began to mix ethanol into gas, his troubles began: LOTS of customers with outboard engine problems (from ethanol) so he was busy, but the trouble began when these customers came back with problems, again, and didn't think they should pay all over... he didn't have time to do the work that made money for him, because he was baby-sitting too many ethanol caused problems. He was bummed out, with no happy future in sight! Fix it, fit it again, and again. Now, some guys were smart enough not to leave any gas in their engines, but some weekend sailors couldn't get it into their heads that the gas was their problem, not the motor guys.

Tractor
    Kubota BX2200

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions and help. Here's where the issue stands. Have fully charged battery and starter wont crank or click. With a voltmeter checked and confirmed 12 + volts at the starter positive terminal. from their I removed the wire from the ignition that fires the solenoid/ starter. With key in crank position I only see 7.3 volts. Jumping the solenoid to the positive terminal results in the started turning over and working. Is my ignition switch bad? Loose or corroded wire or connections? What could cause low voltage from the ignition switch? Thanks

Tractor
    Kubota BX2200

On topic. The tractor will not start when the transmission is in high or low range, has to be in neutral. A quick test is to put it in low and turn the switch to start it. Now put it in neutral and try again. Did the sound it makes change? If it did it is not the safety interlocks. I just made that up. Think it is right

Off topic:
    When I hit collage the starter went out on my car. I knew it was the bendix but the guy at the garage that fixed it said they only replace the entire starter. The starter failed twice under warranty and the second time it was the bendix again! that time he replaced the Bendix but I had payed for a starter and at least one tow.

After that I started investing in tools. Years latter I was too lazy or busy to replace a power steering hose so I had my wife take the car to have it fixed. The bums either knocked loose or unplugged the oxygen sensor.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kubota B4200\MF 135\Kubota B3200

Its interesting that on three occassions since I bought my B3200 a month or so ago my tractor has died because I got out of the seat while it was moving and it would not restart no matter what position the levers were in. After a few minutes, it would start so this has me thinking there is some kind of timer in the start circuit. When the tractor is stopped, I can start it in any range setting, even standing beside the tractor. I have not tried it with the PTO engaged.

It sounds as though you are on the right track now that you have confirmed the starter is okay. You will need to go one by one through the safety features. Test each switch.
    Unimogdave

Tractor
    Kubota BX24

You are on the right track -- the older BX's have issues with the starter switches. Before you replace - I'd trace the starter wire from starter all the way to switch and make sure its not rubbed through insulation causing corrosion and higher resistance for voltage somewhere. Its a free check before wasting money on a switch.

Tractor
    Kubota BX2200

Quote Originally Posted by David Devuono View Post
    ... When the tractor is stopped, I can start it in any range setting, even standing beside the tractor. I have not tried it with the PTO engaged.
    My BX2200 must be in neutral to start.

Quote Originally Posted by 3v0 View Post
    My BX2200 must be in neutral to start.
    Mine, too. In fact, almost all HST tractors have to be in neutral or the clutch depressed (if so equipped) to start.
    2009 Kubota M7040, R1s, LA1153 FEL, fork lift, 3 rear remotes, T&T
    2002 Kubota L48 TLB, 12", 18", 24" HD buckets
    2001 Kubota BX2200, Turf, LA211 FEL
    7.5' Howse 3PT disc, 88" Gearmore 4G4 box scraper, 4' box scraper, Gearmore GB85 blade, LandPride RCR2596 cutter, 6', 4' flail mowers, 6', 4' rototiller, 4' Bush Hog cutter, HD subsoiler, Bearcat 70554 chipper, Bush Hog PHD w/ 12", 6" augers, Ford 101 3-bottom plow, 8' land leveler, 6' rake, lots of misc.

Tractor
    Kubota BX2200

gwdixon it is cool to see the BX2200 parked next to the big boys. Does it have a FEL too?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast