stump pulling

/ stump pulling #1  

Brimfield

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L 3800
Ok I am new to my L 3800 tractor and I have used the back hoe once to fill in a trench for propane lines. There is a large stump from a Maple at our Church, I think it is like 15" round. I was asked to pull it with my backhoe once the ground thaws. So this may sound silly but how big of a stump can I go after? I really hate to see the Church spend $$ on paying a stump grinder come in, we are not in a great financial state.

/ stump pulling #2  
You won't pull it. Maples have a prodigious root system. The hoe will dig it out, by cutting the roots. Then, you'll be able to extract the root ball.

Here's a silver maple 28 inches at the base.
DSCN0668.JPGstump 008.jpgDSCN0558.jpg

/ stump pulling #3  
Brimfield, You should not have a problem with a Stump that size. Just make sure the frost is gone and You should be Good to Go. I have a B9200 with a Backhoe which is about the size of Yours and have dug many stumps with it without any problems. Just go slow. Best of Luck..... Jeff

/ stump pulling #4  
I dug out a pine tree stump with my BX23 - which was for a tree that was probably 3ft in diameter at the base.

I had to pull it out in pieces - and we had gotten the stump ground first - which got most of the wood ground down and got it to a point where I could attack the roots. I ended up having to pull it out in pieces - and some of those roots were probably a good foot in diameter. I used to hoe to dig around the stump - expose the roots - and then try and pry the roots out one at a time. Another tool you might want to bring with you is a nice sharp axe - to hack away at the roots. I've heard people say they've used Sawzalls to cut roots - but for this tree that just didn't work ( I tried it).

You'll be a lot more successful in this endeavor if you're not afraid of making a big hole - you can always fill it in later.

/ stump pulling #5  
I don't forsee any great difficulty in regards to you digging out a stump of that size aince you have a Backhoe and a FEL. Be sure to have a chain or two handy also, plus an axe. One word of caution, though. Since you said the stump was located on a Church's property, please check to see if any underground electrical lines are in the area. The Church might have run some underground electrical lines in the past. Maybe to a picnic area, parking lot lighting; etc?

/ stump pulling #6  
I have used my tractor to dig a lot of stumps as my property has been logged over. I dig up the stump and then keep digging a hole big enough to bury the stump. Fill in the hole with the stump and dirt. I did that as many landfills will not take stumps. Just a thought.

/ stump pulling #8  
If you know in advance that you are going to pull the stump, this technique works great. First, don't cut the tree down! Dig around 3 sides of the tree leaving the 4th side where you want it to fall. After you have dug around the sides to loosen the root system get on the back side and just push the tree over with the BH using the weight of the tree to lever the stump out. Works every time!

/ stump pulling #9  
I would think a 15" maple would go OK even though maples can be tough. If you have to cut some roots use a sawzall. They are far easier on roots than an axe or chainsaw in the dirt. Have a generator handy if power is a long way off.

/ stump pulling #10  
Look -- you don't pull stumps .. you dig it out. You gotten expose the laterals to break them and dig down far enough to tip stump down and break the many many tap toots. It deeper then you think. I dug out 2 maple stumps over 2 feet in diameter that is next to each other with a smaller BH then yours and it was a 2 day project. I had over 20 feet diameter dug up, and dug a ramp to go deeper then 4 feet deep so I could get down to the tap roots so I could cut them due to both stumps growing together. It was a big job.
A 15 inch stump with a L? I suspect you be able to get it done in a day or less with less digging then I did. Just take your time and expect a large area of torn up lawn due to first time digging out stump). Have axes, reciprocating saw with long blades (more then one with coarsest teeth you can get).