Why buy a ball hitch mount?

/ Why buy a ball hitch mount? #1  

rnbrn21

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota BX24
I plan on using my 4x8 utility trailer behind my new to me BX24. Why would I need a 3 point hitch mount or one of the Bxpanded receiver hitch mounts when there is already a hole for a ball to be installed in the plate on the rear of the tractor. I'm sure I'm missing something as I have yet to even remove the BH yet to get a good look at the rear of the tractor but that hole seems like all I would need to install a ball and use my trailer.

/ Why buy a ball hitch mount? #2  
some tractors have a place for a swinging drawbar.. etc..

/ Why buy a ball hitch mount? #3  
An advantage of the non-3-point hitch (frame mount) is that it can't be raised "above center" where the tractor can flip over backwards when the load snags. Always use the frame mount hitch where you can.

/ Why buy a ball hitch mount? #4  
One problem that I had with the frame mount was that the trailer was too close to the tractor and the tires would hit the trailer when I would turn to hard. It wouldn't take much of a turn either. I had to be real careful until I got a ball mount for the 3ph.

/ Why buy a ball hitch mount? #5  
If you put a ball on the drawbar the 3 point lift arms may hit.

One problem that I had with the frame mount was that the trailer was too close to the tractor and the tires would hit the trailer when I would turn to hard. It wouldn't take much of a turn either. I had to be real careful until I got a ball mount for the 3ph.

I had the same problem with a ball on a mower.

/ Why buy a ball hitch mount? #6  
I just use the hook on my quick hitch to grab the coupler. If i flip the handle than the latch closes on the coupler and will not allow it to come off. Simple, easy, works and its free!

/ Why buy a ball hitch mount? #7  
Remember that a three point with a trailer ball hitch can ride up if the load is at the back of the trailer. With the ball on the frame the tonue of the trailer will not move up or down for that matter.
A three point hitch mount is good for getting under a heavy tongue and not having to connect by hand......all in in what you need.

/ Why buy a ball hitch mount? #8  
Here is what I use, depends on what I am doing and what it required. Others above have made comments about pros and cons above. Made myself. Philip.

Attachments

• RECEIVER05.JPG
    RECEIVER05.JPG
    940.2 KB · Views: 1,025
  • HITCH05.jpg
    HITCH05.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 481
  • RECEIVER02.jpg
    RECEIVER02.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 516
   / Why buy a ball hitch mount? #9  
Using the 3pt hitch allows you to level the trailer, and to lift the tongue so it doesn't dig in when crossing a dip.
Tom Seller and sandyc brought up a good point about the 3pt - it has no down force, so it won't resist the tendency of the tongue to lift, which can be a hassle or downright dangerous, depending on what's happening at the moment. I chain the toplink to the frame mount, which prevents this from happening:
P2180003.JPG

/ Why buy a ball hitch mount? #10  
you can get stay bars too.