BX25D. Mod #1 and continued.

/ BX25D. Mod #1 and continued. #351  
:thumbsup: Nice stuff again, Paul. I don't think many of us are getting tired of your mods, I know I'm not. I can't remember if I mentioned it, but I loved your latest vid, good/informative stuff (& brave Milo, too :laughing:).
Ditto. Love reading about your mods.

Aaron Z

/ BX25D. Mod #1 and continued. #352  
Paul,

Who does all your custom decals for you or do you own something like the Cricut die cutter I have seen advertised? I get a kick out of your "labeling". :thumbsup:

/ BX25D. Mod #1 and continued. #353  
Matt I'm still not convinced about powder coating. I've purchased MANY items that had it from snow blades, implements,snow blowers, tools of all kinds including vehicle hoists and out of all of it I (me personally) have NEVER seen it last any amount of time and I mean NEVER.

Until I get to see for myself that powder coating can last any longer than I've seen it I'm going to continue to say its just a cheap inexpensive way for manufactures to get their product to market fast and cheap and the **** with the customer. :mad: you know my views on the subject. Over the years I've given you many examples of poor quality powder coating. Out of all the powder coated items I have in my business not one that's been powder coated has had the powder coat last longer than 6 months before it started to peal. When it starts to peal it can come off in sheets. I'm not convinced it was all done wrong.

That being said here's a response from another site on the photos I supplied.

Quote:

Seeing stuff like this makes me want to scream. It really gives the powder coating industry a bad rap.

I work at a small to mid-size powder coating outfit in southern BC and not a week goes by that a customer comes in and doesn't want to pay our prices to do proper prep work.
Luckily our outfit does most of our coating for other departments within our company so if we can't convince them we send them on down the road.

Steel for any outdoor application should always be sandblasted, zinc epoxy primed and then colour coated.

The quote from the other site is spot on regarding proper powder coating prep. Another thing is that certain powders are designed only for indoor use. The manufacturers plainly state this on their color charts, and yet people will use them on outdoor projects and wonder why the stuff fails.

Around here I see so many GM and Chrysler vehicles and the occasional Ford that are painted white and the paint has peeled off in sheets. What surprises me is that it's white that's failing in epic proportions. I would expect that of certain reds or other colors; but white?

You are correct about manufacturers using powder coating to save a buck as the labor if manually sprayed on doesn't have to be as skilled as someone who uses a paint gun. Another reason the manufacturers like powder coating is that it earns them brownie points with the EPA and tree huggers as the stuff tends to be non-toxic, the excess can be resused if collected properly, and no VOC's are present. The company who I use for powder coating does it as a sideline to their primary business of metal fabrication. The guy I deal with has told me the powder coaters are the lowest paid guys in the shop as they are unskilled labor. Roadrunner Fabrication

Another thing I've noticed is anything made in China tends to have crappy finishes regardless of type.

A little off topic but you have to wonder why more guys aren't killed on these machines :shocked:

Kubota Tractor Handstand - YouTube

That inDUHvidual is a dumbass worthy of a Darwin Award. Let's hope he hasn't bred.

Paul,

Who does all your custom decals for you or do you own something like the Cricut die cutter I have seen advertised? I get a kick out of your "labeling". :thumbsup:

Paul's wife makes the custom decals.

/ BX25D. Mod #1 and continued. #355  
very nice mods! I really like the lopper holder. I carry mine on the rops antirattle knob. (bad place for it - it might get caught on a branch)

/ BX25D. Mod #1 and continued.
Ditto. Love reading about your mods.

Aaron Z

Thanks Aaron. Happy to hear that. Glad I got this finished now. Its hard keeping the shop work done and these mods all at the same time.
Yesterday we came to a financial settlement with the manufacture of the chipper for the powder coating pealing. It would have never happened only for my Kubota dealer so my next project in the fall will be to sand blast, epoxy prime and paint the new chipper so I may post that work then. ;)

Paul,

Yup the wife does them. Earlier in this thread there was a lot on the topic. As for the labelling well that's me :D
"Stihl Here" lol

The quote from the other site is spot on regarding proper powder coating prep. Another thing is that certain powders are designed only for indoor use. The manufacturers plainly state this on their color charts, and yet people will use them on outdoor projects and wonder why the stuff fails.

Around here I see so many GM and Chrysler vehicles and the occasional Ford that are painted white and the paint has peeled off in sheets. What surprises me is that it's white that's failing in epic proportions. I would expect that of certain reds or other colors; but white?

You are correct about manufacturers using powder coating to save a buck as the labor if manually sprayed on doesn't have to be as skilled as someone who uses a paint gun. Another reason the manufacturers like powder coating is that it earns them brownie points with the EPA and tree huggers as the stuff tends to be non-toxic, the excess can be resused if collected properly, and no VOC's are present. The company who I use for powder coating does it as a sideline to their primary business of metal fabrication. The guy I deal with has told me the powder coaters are the lowest paid guys in the shop as they are unskilled labor. Roadrunner Fabrication

Another thing I've noticed is anything made in China tends to have crappy finishes regardless of type.

That inDUHvidual is a dumbass worthy of a Darwin Award. Let's hope he hasn't bred.

Paul's wife makes the custom decals.

Well you and I have had many conversations on the topic of powder coating and I do believe you when you say its great stuff when done right. My only problem is I've personally never seen it done right. NEVER :mad:

Can't think of a better place to throw this neat little video into the mix: sort of rough hewn 4shorts kinda guys, but in Texas!

Central Texas Tools (Texas Country Reporter) - YouTube

Oh man what an honour to be compared to those guys in any way. I just love that video and those guys are really true craftsmen in my mind. Thanks for this :thumbsup:

very nice mods! I really like the lopper holder. I carry mine on the rops antirattle knob. (bad place for it - it might get caught on a branch)

Thanks man. Ya I needed a tool box and the clippers and they needed to be close to the area I'm working in so that should do it. Kind of need a chain box as well but I promise I won't post that :laughing:

/ BX25D. Mod #1 and continued. #357  
Yup the wife does them. Earlier in this thread there was a lot on the topic. As for the labelling well that's me :D
"Stihl Here" lol

Im far from a grammar expert but I believe Stihl is pronounced like "Steel" not "Still". Please correct me if Im wrong but would that make your saw holder "Steel Here" Or maybe change it to "Place Steel Here".
Here is a Stihl video...........STIHL Dealer Days 2013 is Happening Now! - YouTube

Chris

/ BX25D. Mod #1 and continued.
Im far from a grammar expert but I believe Stihl is pronounced like "Steel" not "Still". Please correct me if Im wrong but would that make your saw holder "Steel Here" Or maybe change it to "Place Steel Here".
Here is a Stihl video...........STIHL Dealer Days 2013 is Happening Now! - YouTube

Chris

Yes technically your right BUT everyone around here says it like "Still". Then again there are folks around here that call a "Car" a Caw" or a "Brother" a "Brudder" so what can I say :confused3:

/ BX25D. Mod #1 and continued. #359  
Yes technically your right BUT everyone around here says it like "Still". Then again there are folks around here that call a "Car" a Caw" or a "Brother" a "Brudder" so what can I say :confused3:

Man I love Newfoundland, but holly CR@P are some of you guys hard to understand :laughing: After you've been properly squreeched in, we all sound the same anyway! Maybe it's a Canadian thing, but I say "Still" to.

/ BX25D. Mod #1 and continued. #360  
Please educate me, as i have some of the supplies to start powder-coating, and want to do it right. Is this epoxy primer a powder/oven application? Or are you talking about a liquid? If liquid, is it a 2-part epoxy mix?
When i've tried to buy 2-part epoxy paints at my local autoparts stores they look at me with crossed eyes, don't stock any. I have used some in marine applications.
Excellent work 4shorts! Any plans for a grapple? Or did i miss that post!