BX25D. Mod #1 and continued.

/ BX25D. Mod #1 and continued. #601  
TBN all the same here, we won't hold that green color against you. Your tractor looks like its in very good shape for being all green and yellow:) just kidding... It does look good , little wax it will look new.

Considering both of my tractors have set outdoors for most of their lives, they both look good! I keep hearing that I need to wax the JD. I may have to break down and do that, this year. I'm afraid that when I do it, he'll think I am going to sell him (not gonna happen!), and give me grief. The Avery isn't for sale either, she's been in the family since new. She was the first piece of mechanical farm equipment on the family farm in 1936. My dad was a small child then. He told me how the kids all cried, because the 2 plow mules were traded in on her. The plow mules went to Louisiana to work the rice fields. I've been riding on her and driving her, since I was a small child! If I ever win the lottery, she is a complete restoration project, for me. There may not be enough space for all of the photos if that happens! Maybe 4shorts will indulge me, if that is the ever case! :D

/ BX25D. Mod #1 and continued. #602  
Considering both of my tractors have set outdoors for most of their lives, they both look good! I keep hearing that I need to wax the JD. I may have to break down and do that, this year. I'm afraid that when I do it, he'll think I am going to sell him (not gonna happen!), and give me grief. The Avery isn't for sale either, she's been in the family since new. She was the first piece of mechanical farm equipment on the family farm in 1936. My dad was a small child then. He told me how the kids all cried, because the 2 plow mules were traded in on her. The plow mules went to Louisiana to work the rice fields. I've been riding on her and driving her, since I was a small child! If I ever win the lottery, she is a complete restoration project, for me. There may not be enough space for all of the photos if that happens! Maybe 4shorts will indulge me, if that is the ever case! :D

You have a pic of the Avery?

/ BX25D. Mod #1 and continued. #603  
How much do the aircraft tires cost and were special wheels required? Did they need to be mounted with special equipment?

/ BX25D. Mod #1 and continued. #604  
   / BX25D. Mod #1 and continued. #605  
As for check 6's switch he could still use a protective boot that might help keep any water out.

Boot, Protective Switch - LittleMachineShop.com

The toggle switch on my bench grinder puked some time back and I think it was caused by the grinding dust along with the Made in China label. I made sure to put a condom on the replacement switch to keep the crud out.

/ BX25D. Mod #1 and continued.
OK, I don't have the same level of talent as the rest of you that do mods, but here is mine! Maybe some of you that deal with mesquites will understand where I am coming from and what prompted my idea.

Mesquites have THORNS and are hard on tires. Sometimes, you have to fix more than one flat a day, due to those buggers. I got very tired of that, so decided to come up with other ideas. Well, here is my mod. I put 26 ply, retread AIRCRAFT tires on the front of my JD 1050! I finally got out today, and did some brush hogging, (8 acres, 20 to go!) to see how they feel. They are a bit harder rubber, with less tread depth, so slightly rougher, ride on the front. Very slightly, where I am mowing. If I were on a really steep hill, with wet grass or mud, they might also be slower to turn than the normal tires, but given that we had 1.8 inches of rain Wednesday night, and I was out on Saturday mowing, not a huge issue, but might be, under the right circumstances.

No change in height or other, so here are my few pics.

That was pretty crafty thinking to go with aircraft tires but holy cow its hard to imagine that thorns can actually cut a tire :shocked: I never heard of anything like it but thanks for posting that tip. Its a good one :thumbsup:

Thanks, WaxMan! I just realized this was in a Kubota section. Sorry all! I am bad about seeing the thread and jumping in. Will update after tomorrow's fun anyway. Maybe some will find it useful, no matter what they drive!

Who cares if its a Deere. I love Deere's and all our tractors have black tires so its all relevant isn't it. That's a great tip and thanks for taking the time to post it :thumbsup:

You have a pic of the Avery?

Great question sir. I would also enjoy seeing a few photos of it. Wow some real history there in that machine! What a great story that would make for the TBN home page :thumbsup:

The toggle switch on my bench grinder puked some time back and I think it was caused by the grinding dust along with the Made in China label. I made sure to put a condom on the replacement switch to keep the crud out.

Ha Matt. Now that's a great name for those boots lol. They are good though. I usually fill mine with dielectric grease before using ( the switch boot I'm referring to ) :laughing:

/ BX25D. Mod #1 and continued. #608  
How much do the aircraft tires cost and were special wheels required? Did they need to be mounted with special equipment?

The tires were $175 each, and that included the wheels. I think the tires would fit on any 16X6 set up, but since I had to drive 30 miles to get them, and the price was already complete, it meant that I could get the tires, and get home, before even having to jack up the tractor. The wheels these were mounted on was a bit of an issue, as they are almost like 2 rims put together, and the holes were off of each other by less than 1/8 inch. Just enough that they didn't want to go onto the tractor. I little work with a drill to make them match, solved that issue, and didn't make the mounting holes oversized either.

I was lucky, in that there is a HUGE tire terminal 30 miles from me. Had I needed to order these, Gensco, out of Houston, has them. Home With them, you can get just the tire, or tire and wheel assembly. They have "used" or retread" tires. Given the wear that comes from being on large aircraft, I would have done retreads with them too, had I ordered. I think any decent tire shop can mount these, because they are the same size, just harder rubber.

Numbers on the tire are different, being aircraft tires, but Texas Tire Terminal has folks that really know tires, so helped me there. I think Gensco has a chart showing equivalents.

If I have missed any questions, remind me. I haven't had all of my morning coffee yet! I am not trying to omit anyone, if I can help.

Last edited:
   / BX25D. Mod #1 and continued. #609  
When it's restored.

Last edited: