BX25D. Mod #1 and continued.

/ BX25D. Mod #1 and continued. #631  
Thanks, for the pictures. Looks like a hard working pair of machines! :thumbsup:

/ BX25D. Mod #1 and continued.
4shorts, it looks as if you never got any of the 54 cm of snow that hit Gander on the weekend.

Thank God we didn't get any of that snow. If we had I would have put it all up for sale :laughing:

Thanks, for the pictures. Looks like a hard working pair of machines! :thumbsup:

Your kindly welcome my friend. They do work good together but I do find operating the BX to be loud so I wear hearing protection. I guess I'm not used to operating an open station tractor.

/ BX25D. Mod #1 and continued. #633  
Paul I'm seriously thinking of trading in my B3030 cab and woods backhoe for a new Grand L 3240 and b77 backhoe, would be an even trade money wise if I got a BX25d like yours.
If you had to choose only one tractor which would it be? I know you use the other one for snow but lets put that aside right now. How much extra time would it have taken you to move that dirt with the BX. And could all of it be done with just the L ? or was that too big? The BX It's very tempting but I had the B3030 for five years I think I would feel the difference if I was only left with a BX25. What do you think? I also use the B3030 with cab to plow in the winter. (my driveway only) I'm not happy with the new cab replacement tractor for the B3030. So the only thing thats left cab wise is an L , I don't have the option like you to have both. This picture was taken today
Thanks

/ BX25D. Mod #1 and continued. #634  
Looking good Paul. You're adding quite a bit of a back yard:thumbsup:

And the BX is quite loud. I usually wear my Stihl Worktunes to keep the noise down and give me some tunes to pass the time.

/ BX25D. Mod #1 and continued. #635  
Paul I'm seriously thinking of trading in my B3030 cab and woods backhoe for a new Grand L 3240 and b77 backhoe, would be an even trade money wise if I got a BX25d like yours.
If you had to choose only one tractor which would it be? I know you use the other one for snow but lets put that aside right now. How much extra time would it have taken you to move that dirt with the BX. And could all of it be done with just the L ? or was that too big? The BX It's very tempting but I had the B3030 for five years I think I would feel the difference if I was only left with a BX25. What do you think? I also use the B3030 with cab to plow in the winter. (my driveway only) I'm not happy with the new cab replacement tractor for the B3030. So the only thing thats left cab wise is an L , I don't have the option like you to have both. This picture was taken today
Thanks

I am a Paul too, but not the one you asked a question to. One other thing to consider is the Grand L3540. Cost isn't much more than the 3240 and both are the same frame size. I have been told it is best to go with the larger engine size as it will usually give a better weight and horse power ratio. That is why when I bought I went with the Grand L3540.

/ BX25D. Mod #1 and continued. #636  
Thanks Kubotafan, I read that about the L3540 and maybe I should. Is yours a Cab, how do you like it? any dust or noise? How is the fuel use, how many hrs on a tank?

/ BX25D. Mod #1 and continued. #637  
Paul;

In your last post second picture side profile of the
L moving crushed stone; may just be an illusion but the rear tires look a little light?

Couldn't be with all that ballast but how did it feel?

Thanks

Oh man. I've always liked your rig. :shocked: To me it looked the perfect size for working around a small amount of property.
For me personally. If I didn't have snow clearing to look after I probably wouldn't have had the Grand L at all. It would have been overkill for just my driveway. As you know I started out with the 4240 and it was a fantastic tractor and looking back I really should have kept it with only 200 hours on it. It did everything I ever wanted it to do BUT I got the image of a 5740 in my head and got a deal on the 5740 I couldn't turn down and my buddy took my 4240 so it worked out perfectly.

Now when it comes to the BX everything is a much slower pace. Its drastically smaller than the Grand L but if I didn't have it I couldn't have done what I needed to do with this latest project behind my shop. Using both machines together yesterday I could hardly believe how powerful, comfortable and the pleasure of operating the Grand L was. I would think I could move material four time faster with the Grand L than I could with the BX. The one thing I absolutely love about the Grand L is its transmission. The HST plus is the best option on the machine and I stand to be corrected but I think that feature is only on the Grand L series machines.

For me personally I wouldn't buy a Grand L smaller than a 4240. I like the heavier FEL and the extra PTO HP. The 3940 and down is a nice unit but they have the smaller FEL. Everyone I talk to that has the smaller Grand L machines love them but always say they wish they had bought a higher HP one.

The one thing you don't like about the tractor you have now is what you'll love about the Grand L and that's the cab. The cab in these Grand L's are second to none. Warm in the winter, cold in the summer, quiet and dust free, well that's how I find them. Kubota hit a home run on the cabs of these tractors. The only thing I despised about the cab was the seat and I solved that issue with the air ride mod.

Giving me one tractor to choose is a tuffy though. The BX is a tough little tractor and can get anywhere, it sips fuel and is like a swiss army knife but looking at the full picture including stormy winter days and admitting I'm not that tough I'd pick the Grand L.

No matter what you get in a Grand L your going to really like it based on two factors alone and that's their cabs and their HST transmission. You can't go wrong my friend.

Looking good Paul. You're adding quite a bit of a back yard:thumbsup:

And the BX is quite loud. I usually wear my Stihl Worktunes to keep the noise down and give me some tunes to pass the time.

Thanks. This is only phase 1 on the property. There's a lot more land there that I've done nothing with for years so with these two tractors I'll reclaim it now and clean it all up. Operating the BX for an hour or so isn't bad but spend a day on it and the noise gets to you. Yup, muffs are the way to go.

In your last post second picture side profile of the
L moving crushed stone; may just be an illusion but the rear tires look a little light?

Couldn't be with all that ballast but how did it feel?

Ya its just the way it looks. Small front wheels add to the illusion. That being said that material is Class "A" and is very very heavy. The 5740 can fill its bucket plus the have a larger capacity bucket with the added spill guard. For ballast there's the snow blower on the rear and 800 lbs in wheel weights. There's no liquid in the tires. As for feel it was a pleasure to operate other than the fact there wasn't a lot off room to move around with that long blower sticking out the back. I do have the OEM ballast box that came with the FEL set up but it wasn't worth removing the blower for a few hours work.

Here's a few more photos wifey snapped with her phone. These will so the road going down to the rear of the building and the pad I'm building to put the other 14x20 storage shed on. I'll try and do a video today with the POV camera while operating both machines.

569d6fc4e4c9d00d99fe4cd4f2ad357a_zpsf74f20b9.jpg

3332160fad34bcda065ba815627f2705_zpsdf727a2b.jpg

3679b255c87666165ba67ffe56710984_zps8de57a11.jpg

7a48a46f00754005cb19ea4acef15036_zpsb9993b94.jpg

bd68040b4aee183fe0de468eb2d6b6d3_zpsadcf8bf7.jpg

a4de0ef9dc9f3ab432aac4de3dcea0d9_zps2fda76a5.jpg

2fd3c0198bd633b592de1f596d2557f6_zpsf34edfcb.jpg

543494280c2b896f4bf0f4c5af881ec2_zpsa5ec7e3c.jpg

/ BX25D. Mod #1 and continued. #640  
Thanks

Wow, with all the work you just put into your cab, why the change of heart?

I started with an aftermarket cab on my JD 955 then bought an open station Kioti CK30. I liked having open station, until it rained, or snowed or the bugs were out... I paid big bucks and put a Kioti cab on it and was happy again. I then traded for the DK45 with factory cab and man, I could never look back. You may be different, but after having a cabbed tractor, there was no turning back especially after getting a taste of the factory version. I think you'd be happy going into the summer with an open station BX, but you'd have regrets in the fall thinking about the months to come.

I agree with Paul that the L4240 is the smallest Grand L I'd look at based on the FEL. If you're buying a bigger tractor, buy a bigger tractor with bigger capabilities.

I don't think anybody can really help you decide what to do until you decide what you need to do. The grand canyon stands between a BX25 and L3540/3940/4240. It's confusing that you're looking to replace your current tractor with a larger one or a smaller one.

If you need bigger and stronger and you're making a move, I would hope you'd look at all your options. I respectfully (you know I love y'a Paul) disagree with Paul. I'd say nobody makes a cab like JD, but apart from them ($$$$), I'd say my Kioti cab is on par with the Grand L for fit and finish, noise, features etc. There are also new, smaller cabbed LS models hitting the market right now and I'm sure the list goes on. Nothing wrong with shopping all of them and buying a Grand L, but I couldn't sleep at night if I didn't at least take a look first. IMHO, HST+ is the bomb and I'd love to have it or something similar.