Oil Filter Removal on BX22

/ Oil Filter Removal on BX22 #1  

mik

Tractor
BX-22
I am just about to begin my 50 hr. service on my BX22. It looks like the oil filter will be hard to access. Anybody have any tips or the best tool?

/ Oil Filter Removal on BX22 #2  
mik,

Some have used the strap wrenches or the 3 jaw adjustable but I recommend the fitted cap. Allows easy access with a ratchet.

3 jaw @ northern tool

I get the cap wrenches individually at the local Fleet Farm but other auto parts stores sell them also.
cap wrenches @ northern tool

Have fun,
Michael

/ Oil Filter Removal on BX22 #3  
What size fitted cap does the OEM filter take? Also the replacement oil filters I get from the dealer for the 22 are round so the fitted cap won't work.

/ Oil Filter Removal on BX22 #4  
I used a strap wrench on my BX1800 last weekend, and it worked, but was still tough to do as their isn't much room to accomplish. I would recommend removing the FEL before starting as it will be much easier without it on. I didn't think much about that until I went to take the filter off.

Good luck,

/ Oil Filter Removal on BX22 #5  
Could you use this on the round ones?

Attachments

• 301405-40678.gif
    301405-40678.gif
    8.5 KB · Views: 282
   / Oil Filter Removal on BX22 #6  
RichT,

Are the replacements Kubota or aftermarket? I'm aware of 5 different part number for the BX2200/22 oil filters and they all
have flats or dimples for the cap wrench. Not to say they won't
change suppliers of the filter again /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif Otherwise you'll need
the vicegrip or strap wrench.

Good luck,
Michael

/ Oil Filter Removal on BX22 #7  
The replacements say Kubota but that is a big joke. I am switching to the WIX next time. Wasn't room for the strap wrench because the new filter is too short to get a hold of it without taking the whole shroud off the trator. I bought one of those filter pliers from TSC last year and it serves the purpose just dandy. I have one more bota filter to go before I switch to WIX.

I always keep a spare around just in case something happens. In fact I have a spare HYDRO and a Fuel filter on hand just in case I have a "Sunday Happening" someday.

Ya never know.......

Tom

/ Oil Filter Removal on BX22 #8  
Tom,

Same here, never hurts to have a spare. Helps to keep Murphy at bay. I was so unimpressed with the white Kubota replacement filters that I never used them and switched to WIX. I really wish I could still get the original factory units. They were much better construction. I opened them up and maybe they are overkill. Could be Kubota decided they didn't need that much filtering. I think the manual even says to change the filter every other oil change (or is it the other way around, have to look it up I guess /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif ).

Later days,
Michael

/ Oil Filter Removal on BX22 #9  
pcmem...the replacement I got from local Kubota dealer has a round housing, no wrench flats. Dealer said same thing, there are at least 4-5 different filter PN's which will work with a BX. I'm going the WIX route, #1 because I think its a better filter and #2 because it will accept a filter wrench.

/ Oil Filter Removal on BX22 #10  
I am just about to begin my 50 hr. service on my BX22. It looks like the oil filter will be hard to access. Anybody have any tips or the best tool?

I bought a filter tool from autozone - the oil filter and HST filter is 80mm with 15 flutes (at least the ones i bought from amazon). i do have an oil filter in the box of stuff that came with the tractor (3pt., manuals, misc filters, ec.) that doesn't have flutes - so maybe they changed OEM supplier?

yes this is an old thread - but it was a bit of trial and error trying to get the right one.