BX2200 Project - Toolbox

/ BX2200 Project - Toolbox #1  

jhoward000

Tractor
2006 Kubota M7040 Cab, Yamaha Grizzly
One thing the BX2200 is missing is a toolbox. I wanted to share with you my solution to this problem. Here is all you need:

Sears Craftsman Compact Truck Box #965117
Two heavy duty plastic ties

This box has double layered sides and bottom. This enabled me to cut 4 slots at the bottom just large enough for the plastic ties to go through. The ties are actually passing between the two layers in the bottom of the box, thus invisible from within the box. This helps keep the inside of the box dust-free. I then wrapped the ties around the steel support at the back of the tractor, behind the seat (see attached picture).

The trick is to use very heavy-duty ties so that they can be pulled very tightly with pliers. I was amazed at how sturdy the box was after I was done. I can grab the box, try to move it in all directions forcefully, but it doesn't give a bit. The whole tractor moves instead.

One improvement I plan to make is to use black or orange ties without the mounting tab. The only heavy-duty ties I had were white ones with the mounting tab, as can be seen in the photo.

I will follow this up with additional photos.

I will also post details about my work light in a separate thread.

Jeff

Attachments

• 301716-Toolbox.jpg
    301716-Toolbox.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 1,039
   / BX2200 Project - Toolbox
Here is a close-up of the plastic tie.

Jeff

Attachments

• 301717-Toolbox Mount.jpg
    301717-Toolbox Mount.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 546
Here is a picture of the toolbox with the lid open.

Jeff

Attachments

• 301718-Toolbox Open.jpg
    301718-Toolbox Open.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 606
   / BX2200 Project - Toolbox #4  
Nicely done! I agree that the Kubota's need a tool box and this is perfect size. Any problems with it getting in the way of the 3-point when all the way up /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ BX2200 Project - Toolbox #5  
Nice neat looking job. Beware that the sunlight will weaken thsoe ties and they will break. they usually break where they go around a sharp corner. Might want to make sure the box is snaped shut after each use.

I mounted it so that the rear edge of the toolbox is essentially flush with the rear edge of the cross-support on which it is mounted. The top-link will still fit into its snap-holder for storage when not being used. There is absolutely no interference with the hitch at all. I still don't understand why Kubota didn't put a storage box in this location, or at least offer one as an accessory.

Jeff

Plastic ties can indeed weaken over time. However, these are so heavy-duty it should take a while. I placed them carefully so that they aren't going around too sharp of a corner. I bought these ties several years back to help hold tire chains on a truck and on a tractor. I haven't broken one yet. If I can find some as heavy in a better color, I'll probably change them out. A nice alternative would be a small metal strap of a similar size to the ties. I have seen these somewhere before.

The snaps on the box seem to be secure. I have uses these types of boxes in the past and they seem to hold up well. Any good quality box that fits in this location should work okay. I like the fact that I could mount this box without drilling any holes or modifying the tractor in any way. I also liked the fact that it looks clean and was very affordable.

Jeff

/ BX2200 Project - Toolbox #8  
One thought: if you are fussy about your paint finish, you may want to put some sort of cushioning under the box. I know I would and my brother wouldn't. Great job!
Will

/ BX2200 Project - Toolbox #9  
I noticed your box on the work light post. I actually bought both Sears boxes. The 117 and the 119. The 119 got in the way of the SMV bracket because of the bigger size. Too bad. It was big enough to put 7 beers (err amber pop) in it.

So we use the bigger one on the Polaris.

Nice Job.

Tom