I'm freaked my B2920 will tip over sideways

/ I'm freaked my B2920 will tip over sideways #21  
I have a bx and have been wondering the same thing about my mowing choice. I just bought wheel spacers once I get hem on hopefully it will be more stable

/ I'm freaked my B2920 will tip over sideways #22  
I think you will be surprised how steep of a slope you're ok on, though I wouldn't advocate trying it out. Over time you'll gain confidence and get a better sense of the slopes. Anytime you can go up / down vs across is really much safer. I have an extreme slope down to my waterfront, and in general my land is pretty hilly. I found out the hard way how much the tractor can take within a few hours of ownership. I accidentally had it in 2wd on a steep slope, lost traction going down, slid out of control, lowered the bucket to prevent going into the ice covered lake, spun in a 180 on a very steep slope and stopped without tipping. It was not a gentle spin, it was quite violent and I believe a rear wheel came slightly off the ground

Some observations I've had are that the BH changes stability DRASTICALLY, I am very careful with the BH on, but without it can go in some pretty steep areas without serious concern. After a year of use I drive on steeper areas and have a better feel. Areas I thought were dangerous at first I now have no concern with. I think that you'll find it will handle a lot more than you think, but drive around, get practice and be careful. The advise about ruts and holes is good advice. You can get tire spacers, I haven't found that I needed them though. You can measure the slopes if you're concerned to get a sense of what the machine will take as well. Attachments change your center of gravity a lot, so get a feel for them before operating on slopes. If I get a chance tomorrow I'll post some of the steepness of the slopes I operate on to give a sense...

/ I'm freaked my B2920 will tip over sideways
Dang tractchores, yeah I don't want to be spinning no 180's. Can you elaborate on how the BH changes stability? Also some pics would be great thanks.

/ I'm freaked my B2920 will tip over sideways #24  
Backhoe on moves the center of gravity up and rearward. Backhoe pointed uphill increases stability by moving center of gravity further uphill. Lower stabilizer extended fully can catch you if you start to flip but can also cause a flip if it catches something

/ I'm freaked my B2920 will tip over sideways #25  
Dang tractchores, yeah I don't want to be spinning no 180's. Can you elaborate on how the BH changes stability? Also some pics would be great thanks.

Any attachment changes the center of gravity. The more weight up high the more tippy. The BH is hugely heavy and sits relatively high on the tractor so raises the center of gravity a lot. Thats why tractors are very tippy with the FEL bucket loaded and raised high. With the FEL bucket at or below hood level its much more stable. Removing the bh takes 1400 lbs off and helps tremendously. Loaded tires are heavy and help lower the center of gravity making the machine more stable. Th same applies to any 3 pt implement, the lower to the ground it is the more stable.

Ill try and measure some slopes tonight.

/ I'm freaked my B2920 will tip over sideways #26  
Have you look at some of the slopes the State Highway employees mow with their tractors sidehilling? It is enough to make you sick at your stomach. Of course their tractors are set as wide and as squat as possible, and they have skills mere tractor operators don't have, but still I look at some of the stuff they mow, and just don't see how you do it with a tractor. But they do it, all day every day.

James K0UA

/ I'm freaked my B2920 will tip over sideways #27  
Have you look at some of the slopes the State Highway employees mow with their tractors sidehilling? It is enough to make you sick at your stomach. Of course their tractors are set as wide and as squat as possible, and they have skills mere tractor operators don't have, but still I look at some of the stuff they mow, and just don't see how you do it with a tractor. But they do it, all day every day.

James K0UA
Where a highway has been built to a standard the slopes have been built to a uniform grade. Steep slopes with a guardrail at the top are almost always two horazontal to one vertical and those without guardrail are usualy four to one. A 4 to 1 is easily mowable and a 2 to 1 can be with a machine set up with a wide stance and a low center of gravity. You still have to look out for wash outs and soft spots but a crew that does it year after year learns where those are. With just the two choices it is easy to see if you can mow it or not unlike farmland that has every slope angle nature could make at random. Lots of exceptions to the above as you don't see much guard rail in the rockys no matter how steep.

/ I'm freaked my B2920 will tip over sideways #28  
One thing you need to remember is where you sit on a tractor vs a riding mower. Tractors tend to have seats higher up so the operator can see easier. Sitting higher gives you more of a feeling that you are more tippy. Being higher up makes the bumps your tires are going over feel like they are having more of an effect on stability as well. My full size back hoe feels very unsafe even on the smallest of slopes yet it's just because you sit even higher up.

/ I'm freaked my B2920 will tip over sideways #29  
I used to mow with a B2910, which is the previous version of the current B3030. When I first got it I worried about tipping. After using it awhile I quit worrying. They are more stable than they first appear.

Here's some pics. I know pics can be deceiving but in the first one look at the rope I have hanging from the ROPS. That gives you an idea of the slope I'm on. Last pic shows a tiltmeter for the technical degree of slope. Mowed this bank a hundred times with no worries at all.

DSC01315_zpscfa47ec2.jpg

DSC01314_zps8733b864.jpg

/ I'm freaked my B2920 will tip over sideways #30  
Your tilt meter is showing 25% which is a 4 to 1 slope and quite safe if well graded and uniform as your picture shows.