I'm freaked my B2920 will tip over sideways

/ I'm freaked my B2920 will tip over sideways #1  

deathtoblackberries

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2380
How far can you lean one of these sideways before it tips over? You sit so high up even a marginal side slope seems dicey. I spent a lot of time jogging around today trying to keep it flat on slopes I'd just burn across with a riding lawn mower. To the point I'm now wondering if I made the right choice for mowing. Note I have ballast in the rear tires a FEL and BH though I'll take the BH and FEL off for mowing.

/ I'm freaked my B2920 will tip over sideways #2  
Do not go across slopes. Go perpendicular to the slope. Partly you will get used to sitting up high there in the center. But you need to be VERY CAREFUL at the same time. Make sure your seat belt is fastened at all times.

Taking off the backhoe will probably make you feel more secure. Most people mow with the FEL on, just keep it low.

What are you mowing with?

/ I'm freaked my B2920 will tip over sideways #3  
I think you would be surprised at how far over you have to go to actually tip it. The centre of gravity is well below your knees when sitting on the seat. Just have to get used to it.

/ I'm freaked my B2920 will tip over sideways #4  
If there is a number (maybe check the owner's manual) it won't be consistent since there are so many variables.

You can tip a tractor on flat ground if you get a wheel in a rut, so it's not just the slope you need to look out for.

If mowing on a hill, you may need to mow up/down the fall line assuming you can make a safe turn on each end.

/ I'm freaked my B2920 will tip over sideways #5  
Use a tilt-meter. Like they say, low and slow if you have to go across a slope....keep the ROPS up....seatbelt!

/ I'm freaked my B2920 will tip over sideways #6  
You can also invest in spacers for your rear wheels that would give you a wider stance. They cost about $350 at the dealer with about one hour of labor to install.

/ I'm freaked my B2920 will tip over sideways #7  
There is an interesting website that discusses rock climbing / trail jeep rollover angles.

http://www.jeepaholics.com/tech/cog/#_Toc535118730

It gives you some mathematical equations to play with to determine rollover angles. Of course, you have to have a way to measure the weight of each axle / each tire to have the data to plug into the equations. I didn't study the equations in detail, but first glance it appears it should work for determining the rollover angle of tractors too.

On your setup, can you move your rear wheels out any further? I know I could gain several inches of width on my L5030 if desired. That would make a huge difference in your situation.

/ I'm freaked my B2920 will tip over sideways #8  
Here is a good explanation of the physics involved.
National Ag Safety Database - Tractor Overturn Hazards
070712085318_zps5aefeddb.jpg

Quite a few of the compact and sub compact tractors have taken the compact part a bit too far when it comes to rear wheel tread width. If you have slope work to do on a regular basis changing the wheel spacing will make things much safer. Do keep the ROPS up and wear your seat belt.

/ I'm freaked my B2920 will tip over sideways #9  
Here is a good explanation of the physics involved.
National Ag Safety Database - Tractor Overturn Hazards
070712085318_zps5aefeddb.jpg

Quite a few of the compact and sub compact tractors have taken the compact part a bit too far when it comes to rear wheel tread width. If you have slope work to do on a regular basis changing the wheel spacing will make things much safer. Do keep the ROPS up and wear your seat belt.

Intersesting reading!

/ I'm freaked my B2920 will tip over sideways #10  
Drive with the downslope stabilizer out :)
Or both stabilizers out and hoe extended :)