Mowing Can't get Rotary Cutter blade off...

/ Can't get Rotary Cutter blade off... #1  

KubotaGlocker

Tractor
Kubota L3940
After a couple years of mowing strictly grass - I decided that it might be good to sharpen the blades on the Rotary Cutter. It is a Land Pride 1872. I removed the access cover and dropped a socket over the nut and tugged on it with a power handle. No dice. My 1/2" pneumatic impact didn't budge it either. How do you guys get those things loose?

/ Can't get Rotary Cutter blade off... #2  
3/4 ratchet and 4' pipe got mine off. Torque to put them back on was 450ft/lbs!

/ Can't get Rotary Cutter blade off...
I had to reduce the socket to 1/2" drive so I was afraid to put too much pressure on my 1/2" power handle. I guess it is time to bite the bullet and shop for a 3/4" ratchet. I have plenty of pipe laying around.

Thanks!

/ Can't get Rotary Cutter blade off... #4  
Try a little heat. Some heat from a hand held propane torch goes a long way.

/ Can't get Rotary Cutter blade off... #5  
Soak the bolt/nut in Ed's Red or Kroil several times and wait a day. Soak it again and lay a quality impact wrench on it - a cheap weaky won't do. If you can bypass the regulator on the air compressor to get full psi then do so. (Oh, lube the impact wrench, also.)

Let the impact wrench sit and rattle on the nut for a while to see if it will budge in the slightest. If it still won't move then it may be time to add some serious heat with a O/A torch.

Know that the nut WILL come off. Just be persistent.

When I put the nuts back on I put grease on the treads. Others won't like the idea but if the nuts are tightened enough to compress the lock washer things should be just fine.

/ Can't get Rotary Cutter blade off... #6  
I just block mine up really well and sharpen the blades while on the cutter.

As for getting them off, I agree with heating the nuts.

/ Can't get Rotary Cutter blade off... #7  
I had to reduce the socket to 1/2" drive so I was afraid to put too much pressure on my 1/2" power handle. I guess it is time to bite the bullet and shop for a 3/4" ratchet. I have plenty of pipe laying around.

Thanks!

I recently got a Snap On 3/4 ratchet and breaker bar, might be selling my Allen 3/4 ratchet that is mint along with a well used but still very useable 3/4 SK breaker bar with spare rebuild kit....if you are interested, PM me.

/ Can't get Rotary Cutter blade off... #8  
If it doesn't come off with my Ingersoll Rand 1/2" impact and some heat then its going to be cut off with a cut off wheel grinder or a cold chisel. In my experience a breaker bar is no match for a good impact and a little heat.

/ Can't get Rotary Cutter blade off... #9  
I just block mine up really well and sharpen the blades while on the cutter.

As for getting them off, I agree with heating the nuts.

This ^

I gave up long ago and just sharpen in place with an angle grinder. Easier when on the trailer with the mower elevated - and blocked up.

Z.

/ Can't get Rotary Cutter blade off... #10  
Does your rotary cutter have free swinging blades ?? If so, like mine, the top end of the bolt sits in a "holder" so it won't turn and you turn the nut from the under deck while the bolt is held captive.... Try that..... Dave