Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Silver Member
    Tractor
    Ford 8N, Kubota L4240

Default Re: Block heater...worth installing ??

I have an L4240, with a block heater. The block heater makes a big difference in starting when the temperature is below 30F. At -10 to -20, I leave it on for an hour or longer. I highly recommend it.

Make sure that your dealer installs the block heater on the right hand side of the engine. kubota recommends this for the four cylinder engines. The heater is installed on the left hand side for the three cylinder engines.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tractor
    Kubota BX2200

What two guys garage say about lower radiator hose heaters.

Then next easiest and pretty cheap to buy, would be the Lower Radiator Hose Heater. Basically you drain the radiator and cut a section of the lower radiator hose out and install the heater. The trick to getting one of these to work is, because heat rises you want the heater vertical with the water pump. You want the heat to go up into the engine and not to the radiator, so having it mounted just beneath and going into the water pump is best. These are good heaters if install correctly and they will heat the same areas as a Frost Plug Heater would. Some people are afraid that the engine thermostat will close if they use one of these heaters. Well actually thermostats are closed until it reaches a certain engine running temperature then it opens. Most lower radiator hose heaters have a thermostat. And if the water does actually get hot enough, the engine thermostat will open and let some water out into the radiator. But this is rare. And usually lower hose heaters won't get hot enough for that to even happen. Plugs into a 110 volt outlet.
    We always used tank heater that connected into the heater hoses on cars. I had a pickup that came with a lower radiator hose heater and it worked fine. The heat moves into the engine without water circulating through the thermostat. You are going to need more watts if you want to heat the radiator.

FWIW Living in northern Oklahoma it seldom gets to where I would plug a car or tractor in. I do not have anything left that has one.
    Last edited by 3v0; 04-15-2013 at 12:20 PM.

Tractor
    2012 Kubota L5740, 1970 IH 2444, John Deere x485

Quote Originally Posted by kuboman View Post
    Short answer is yes it is a good idea and it will help. Do Not use kubota's freeze plug heater. They are an incredibly stupid, poor design in that the heating element does not even protrude into the block. In fact it is encased in a steel cylinder. It reaches super hot temperatures and burns out rapidly and barley adds any heat to the block. I installed a circulating heater on mine. The unfortunate part of the lower rad hose heater is that there is virtually no circulation with it either. The thermostat stops the water from circulating.
    Does your circulating heater T into the lower radiator hose? Do you have a link for the one you bought?

Quote Originally Posted by pmhowe View Post
    I have an L4240, with a block heater. The block heater makes a big difference in starting when the temperature is below 30F. At -10 to -20, I leave it on for an hour or longer. I highly recommend it.

Make sure that your dealer installs the block heater on the right hand side of the engine. Kubota recommends this for the four cylinder engines. The heater is installed on the left hand side for the three cylinder engines.
    Looks like its going to be a pain to install, so it's back to the drawing board

Tractor
    B3200, L5740,

Quote Originally Posted by PRF View Post
    Does your circulating heater T into the lower radiator hose? Do you have a link for the one you bought?

Looks like its going to be a pain to install, so it's back to the drawing board
    The kubota dealers seem to like to install the freeze plug style on the left side of the block at the front which of course is the wrong place because of the pound in sleeve they send. To install on the right side requires the removal of the hydraulic pump. I do think you might do it with out removal of the pump. I installed my circulating heater using the lines used for the egr cooler. I took off all my egr stuff and used the water connections that it used. Works 100%, may not be an option for everyone but I took great pleasure in removing that junk.
    L5740 LA854 loader
    L3130 LA723 loader sold
    B3200 LA504 loader
    B1550 sold
    B2620 sold
    B4200 sold
    F2680E
    ZD1211
    GF1800 sold
    Kubota RTV900
    JD 850D Gator sold
    JD F935 x 2 sold
    Case 590SM-2
    JD 310D TLB sold
    Ford 555D sold
    Gehl 602 excavator sold
    JD317 sold
    JD323D

Veteran Member

My kubota is pretty old but when starting in the barn I glow plug it, Crank until it starts ,and then go back to the glow plug position to clean up the smoke.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123