Block heater...worth installing ??

/ Block heater...worth installing ?? #1  

PRF

Gold Member
Tractor
2012 Kubota L5740, 1970 IH 2444, John Deere x485
We bought a brand new Kubota L5740 back in December, and the only thing I can find to complain about is that it starts a little hard, and puffs quite a little smoke in the shop for a few seconds..

I'm wondering if an engine block heater, plugged in for a couple hours prior to use might help with these issues?

Thanks in advance for your replies..

/ Block heater...worth installing ?? #2  
Yes it should help. How cold does it get in your shop in the Winter?

/ Block heater...worth installing ??
   / Block heater...worth installing ?? #4  
We'll worth it saves trouble in the long run!

/ Block heater...worth installing ?? #5  
I had one installed on mine before I took delivery. It was totally worth it to me.

/ Block heater...worth installing ?? #6  
Totally worth it. If i try and start my tractor with out plugging in, is does start after a bit out cranking but it sure does like it. It needs throttle to start, puffs white smoke and has a rough starting idles. Depending on temperature sometimes plugging it in for as little as15 minutes will make a huge difference. I recommend it for any cold starting.

/ Block heater...worth installing ?? #9  
PRF,
I live in your neck of the woods and use a magnetic block heater that I bought at Napa Auto. I use it when temps drop below twenty degrees for my B3030. The beauty of this heater is that you can use it on another tractor. I use a dollar in the pic to show scale.

Attachments

• Napa Magnetic Block Heater.jpg
    Napa Magnetic Block Heater.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 262
   / Block heater...worth installing ?? #10  
I find magnetic block heaters to be less efficient than a permanently mounted block heater. My old nissan had a lower radiator hose heater that worked fine, even temps below -15. We always plugged the car in. My battery is old in my tractor and I kept it plugged in all winter. Started great, no cranking. Now that it is in the 40's in the day and 28-30 at night, I don't plug it in. Starting fine.