Oil & Fuel Metal shavings on filter

/ Metal shavings on filter #1  

Dgoatrider

Tractor
Kubota l3800hst
Ok I read a lot and get good info tonite I need advice and help not to panic. I just changed filters at 230 hours little late but had it in my head for 250. Did engine oil and filter and fuel and air no problems. I used shop vac to keep hst fluid in ( hope I remembered right no big mess so I'm happy). When I took off the larger suction filter I found a pile of shavings on the magnet some curly some straight I'm not a mechanic but changed a few filters over the years never saw this much stuff the other filter had nothing. Less than a 1/8of ring had stuff on it. Have not drained oil but think it will just go to shop if there is reason to be fearful. Don't need to be scared into going to shop but don't want to panic if this is ok. The shop did the last full service at 50.

/ Metal shavings on filter #2  
I think i would be surprised if i didnt find metal shavings in filter screens and magnets. I used to worry about it, but after finding these hundreds of times over the last 30 years on dozens of pieces of equipment, it doesnt bother me much anymore. I just tell myself that the magnets and screens are doing their job.
Btw, i drop magnets in all my new fuel transport tanks. I use a piece of pvc to drop them down to ensure that they make it to the bottom instead of sticking to the side.

/ Metal shavings on filter
Thanks I should sleep tonite. That's what I was hoping to hear.

/ Metal shavings on filter #4  
If you can keep pictures in case something happens on down the line. If it is too late for pictures try to keep the pieces in a plastic zip-lock bag. Wouldn't hurt to let your dealer know. Really they should clean up better than to have visible particles in a transmission. Others have posted pictures showing crud similar to what you describe on here.

/ Metal shavings on filter #5  
There was a huge thread on this just a while back. Maybe you can find it. It had lots of alarming pictures. But the bottom line seemed to be that although this is disconcerting and prehaps quite slobby on Kubota's part, it seems to be normal and not an indication of a big problem. Still I would take pictures, inform the dealer (in writing), and keep the magnetic ring as MHarryE says just for insurance.

/ Metal shavings on filter #6  
This is nothing compared to what they tell you to do when you get a Chinese tractor, you fill the transmission up with diesel first, run for few minutes and then drain and refill with gear oil and you should see the crap come out then.

Even if Kubota does not require it I still believe in the 50 hour transmission fluid change.

David Kb7uns

/ Metal shavings on filter #7  
Here is what mine looked like @ 50hrs from what Ive heard its to be expected.

summer 12 117.jpg

/ Metal shavings on filter
Thanks here is a pic of filter. Talked to shop said to run a few hrs take filter off if a lot of stuff again drain fluid and see what comes out so working with it today. Ok tried the pics got two of same

Attachments

• image-3105524917.jpg
    image-3105524917.jpg
    525.9 KB · Views: 600
  • image-3779890027.jpg
    image-3779890027.jpg
    471.7 KB · Views: 354
   / Metal shavings on filter #9  
Wow dgoat, i can see why you are concerned..

I did my 50 hr last year and had maybe a couple specks of metal. If i saw that id probly need an underwear change:)! I hope it is ok for your sake tho

/ Metal shavings on filter #10  
Hmmm...the shop (dealer) did the first service at 50 hours and the filter looks like that at 230 hours. A bit disturbing.

Did the shop really do anything? Was it filters only? Oil only? Nothing?

Probably no real harm done but changing the oil, or at the least have a used oil analysis done, would be a prudent path.