Mowing New to tractor question (MMM or RMM)

/ New to tractor question (MMM or RMM) #1  

asuhurley

Tractor
Kubota B2320
First off, I'd like to say that I am new to tractors. This winter my family and I bought a relatively large land. It's about 50/50 woods and field. We rented most of the field to a cattle owner neighbour who will be in charge of collecting the hay and such. We kept an area to make ourselves a vegetable garden.

We just bought a Kubota B2320 with a front end loader (FEL), but I am not sure wether to get a mid mounted mower (MMM) or a rear mounted mower (RMM) or even a brush hog. For the foreseeable future we would use the mower to cut the field next to our garden and garage (not that big of an area, not a very rough terrain either).

Here is the thing, we would use the tractor in the woods also, so we need the extra clearance.

Is it harder/longer to remove the Kubota 60'' MMM when we need to go in the woods, than removing a rear attachement every time we want to work with the tractor (I believe we can't leave a rear attachement on all the time when working with the FEL, right?).

In a couple years, we might have some grass to cut on that property (but we would prefer not having to buy an other attachement) so taking that into account does that affect our choice?

Thank you for your time and answers!

/ New to tractor question (MMM or RMM) #2  
I went with a RMM just because I knew I would not want a MMM underneath when I did work in the woods. A RMM can easily be taken off. You will go back and forth 10 times over with your decision and will read many opinions on this forum. Ultimately, you will just have to give one a try. And the good thing about a quality RMM is that you can sell it if you don't like it much easier than a MMM.

/ New to tractor question (MMM or RMM) #3  
Welcome to TBN.

Sounds like my situation many years ago. I read between your posts lines and picked up on - field, FEL, clearance and woods.

I'd opt for a rear medium duty brush-cutter (bush hog). IMHO, I have always found it easier and quicker to get behind something and attach it, rather than over something. With the additional option of the FEL, your rear attachment is also providing the benefit of - ballast. Venturing into the woods with FEL down, and a brush cutter will yield positive results for possible - trails.

My "B" series tractor, has *never* had the FEL off. It is equipped for MMM, but somehow, I never ended up with one.

You can get a pretty decent looking "lawn" with just a brush cutter. The good thing is, depending on what your cutting, "grasses", height and thickness may possibly be easier to deal with than a MMM or RFM.

Good luck.

/ New to tractor question (MMM or RMM) #4  
I just hooked up my MMM yesterday, its a 60", and it went about as quick as I ever done it. I probably only took me 5 to 10 minutes. It always seems like a pain though, just because you have to slide the deck around. I do it on smooth concrete which makes it easy to move around. To me, it almost sounds like a rear finish mower would be better. There are a couple of disadvantages to a rear one. When you turn, the rear mower swings out, so if you are mowing along a fence, you have to be carefull how you turn. It also has another set of tires mashing the grass down. With a mid mount, only the front tires mash the grass down, but with a rear one, both the fronts and the rears do. The big advantage to the rear one is ease of hook up, and the probably cost less.

/ New to tractor question (MMM or RMM) #5  
The MMM keeps the overall length of your rig shorter, if that's important to you. It also allows you to just look down and see how close you are to fences, trees, etc. instead of having to turn to look back. But the MMM is specific for a particular tractor. If you get a RMM, and should trade tractors someday, you can still use it with the new tractor. Or if you want to sell the mower someday, you limit your potential market to those who have that particular model of tractor is you have a MMM, while the market is much wider with the RMM. Of course, with the RMM, you have to pay attention on turns that it doesn't swing out and hit something. The RMM is much easier and quicker to take off or put back on the tractor.

So, it's a personal choice. For me, it was RMM only, for you it may be different.

/ New to tractor question (MMM or RMM) #6  
I believe you have read the advantages and disadvantages between the MID Mount Mower and the Rear Finish Mower. I really liked the RFM mower before getting my F3080s which have Front finish mowers on them. Leave the RFM on for ballast for FEL work. The RFM attaches and unhooks in a minute or two while standing up and ease depends on Quick hitches or not.

/ New to tractor question (MMM or RMM) #7  
How often and what will you be mowing, grass, weeds, combination...acreage to mow...terrain type...

We have found over the years, on most non-yard properties or combination, a person needs a finish mower as well as a rotary cutter. For yards, I prefer a MMM and for fields a RFM or rotary cutter.

Being new to tractors, read a lot of the threads here on use of the FEL, proper ballast, use on slopes, PTO engagement/disengagement, break-in procedures, maintenance.

There are a lot of very knowledgeable people on here who own that model who will be more than willing to help you out on about any subject you can come up with.

/ New to tractor question (MMM or RMM)
Wow what a great ressource this site is! Thanks everyone:thumbsup:
I'll be sure to read up on those articles.

We would be using the mower/cutter 2-3 times a month.

I was looking at the landpride attachements for either a RFM or a brush cutter.
Would the RFM (like the FDR16) make a noticeably nicer cut than brush cutter (like the RCR12-RCR15)?

/ New to tractor question (MMM or RMM) #9  
Landpride makes good equipment, so you should do well with that choice.

The 2320 like many of the Kubota tractors uses a 1/4" valve for the 3 pt hitch. A disadvantage to this system is it will not maintain a consistent height and requires the operator to "bump it up" every 10 minutes or so. With the RFM, it doesn't matter because you just set it on the ground and the height of the mower height is adjusted by where you set the mower wheel height. But the brush cutter mower ownly has one wheel in the back so it's height is controlled in the front by the where you set the 3 pt hitch. I put chains on mine to control it better, but I still don't like using it that much. Also it sets a long way back, is heavy and even with the FEL on makes the tractor light in the front end.

You have gotten some good responses on the RFM vs MMM. RFM can also be backed under low limbs to cut. Cheaper, will work on other tractors. MMM is easier to mow close or use in tight areas. Putting the MMM on that tractor isn't a big deal, maybe 10 minutes, but certainly not as easy as the RFM. Biggest agrivation on that MMM is hooking up the PTO shaft. I usually find it easiest to just slide under the tractor to slip it on, but you can reach under the tractor from the side to hook it up.

/ New to tractor question (MMM or RMM) #10  
I'd go for the RFM myself.

The MMM is more maneuverable, And you dont have to look back. Thats the only two advantages I see.

A RFM is...

Cheaper. A good used one on c-list shouldnt be more than $500-$600. A MMM is going to be 2-3k

Easier to change. Therefore easier to maintain,clean, sharpen, grease.

And adds ballast for loader work. Which is a must with a small machine. And no you dont need to take it off to do loader work. Unless ofcourse you want to pair your loader work with some other attachment like a box balde or rear blade