Tractor
    1997 Kubota L35

Default L35 Front Axle Lube

I recently bought a 1997 L35 with 1270 hours. The front axle lube is low. Reading the manual, it says you can use either kubota SUDT, UDT, or 80-90 weight gear lube. I don't know what's in it now. I'm surprised that fluids of such different viscosity are both ok. I'm leaning towards using the 80-90 weight gear lube because I see some evidence of leaking where the axle turns down toward the wheel on both sides and I figure the heavier grease will be less likely to leak. Which should I use? Should I worry about a little leakage?

Any thoughts on this subject would be greatly appreciated.

Joe

Tractor
    m8540

Default Re: L35 Front Axle Lube

Quote Originally Posted by Kickstand View Post
    I recently bought a 1997 L35 with 1270 hours. The front axle lube is low. Reading the manual, it says you can use either kubota SUDT, UDT, or 80-90 weight gear lube. I don't know what's in it now. I'm surprised that fluids of such different viscosity are both ok. I'm leaning towards using the 80-90 weight gear lube because I see some evidence of leaking where the axle turns down toward the wheel on both sides and I figure the heavier grease will be less likely to leak. Which should I use? Should I worry about a little leakage?

Any thoughts on this subject would be greatly appreciated.

Joe
    personally i agree w/you that 80/90 wt. would be the choice. by just topping off, don't think it will make a big difference in the leaking issue. i have read that many machines have a seal problem given those hrs. of course you can tell what the existing fluid is in there by the scent of 80/90. the new tractors i've owned came w/udt (or at least a thinner fluid than 80/90) and were low as well. guess the leak issue is how often you have to top off...you could always drain the ft axle (not a bad idea w/that many hrs), fill w/gear oil, then monitor. there are a # of posts on how to change the seal itself if you want to do it. good luck