Oil & Fuel Changing Hydraulic Filter Without Draining Oil?

/ Changing Hydraulic Filter Without Draining Oil? #11  
I Just tried the Shop Vac Method on my 300 hour trans filter change and it worked great. I had a stepped rubber nozzle from home depot that fit in the fill plug. I sucked up close to a quart into the shop vac (Its well lubricated now :D) and lost very little at the filters. It took about a half gallon to top the trans back off but that was since the last time i filled it. I've lost some hooking and unhooking hydraulic quick connects as well. Overall i give this method a 2 thumbs up. Thanks for the Tip.

I might try pulling the filters next time at the 600 hour oil change and see how much i actually loose if i just pull the filters, I didn't feel like doing that experiment today though.

Regards

Well I have come up with a third method, documented herehttp://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/kioti-owning-operating/291997-199-hours-close-enough.html

But I have only done it once a couple a few days ago. Good results, but need to hear from some others. The bottom line is just stopping up the air vent so air cannot get into the tank so it will be difficult for fluid to come out. The Kubota air vent is usually under the seat. My Kioti vent is also the fill plug. I lost about 2 ounces of fluid changing out the vertical hydraulic filter. A very small amount.

James K0UA

/ Changing Hydraulic Filter Without Draining Oil? #12  
Well I have come up with a third method, documented herehttp://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/kioti-owning-operating/291997-199-hours-close-enough.html

But I have only done it once a couple a few days ago. Good results, but need to hear from some others. The bottom line is just stopping up the air vent so air cannot get into the tank so it will be difficult for fluid to come out. The Kubota air vent is usually under the seat. My Kioti vent is also the fill plug. I lost about 2 ounces of fluid changing out the vertical hydraulic filter. A very small amount.

James K0UA

I saw the other method mentioned thread here the other day only i have no idea where the vent is did really feel like searching if its under the seat then I'd have to take the seat and a panel off

/ Changing Hydraulic Filter Without Draining Oil? #13  
There are two methods, neither are foolproof, and you will lose some fluid. The park it sideways on a steep slope with the filter on the high side method, and the vacuum cleaner operated by a second person method. This is taking a shop vac to the fill inlet port while you swap the filter as quickly as you can. When you break the seal on the filter air will rush into the "tank" which will limit the amount of fluid that would normally rush out of the filter connection. You will get some small amount of fluid into the shop vac, but it wont be much. The key to either method is to work fast and get everything set just so and ready. Total loss should be less than a quart with either method.

James K0UA

ShopVac method works great. Helps if the vac hose fits well/snugly into the fill port opening. Lost very little fluid.