Oil & Fuel Changing Hydraulic Filter Without Draining Oil?

/ Changing Hydraulic Filter Without Draining Oil? #1  

BigEd

So I went to change my Hydraulic fluids last night on my B3030. I got everything drained, put one filter on, then realized the dealer gave me one wrong filter. All shops were closed, so I was forced to put the old filter back on. Can I swap the filter without draining the oil? I have about gallon of oil left, so I'm not worried about losing a little fluid in the process.

-Ed

/ Changing Hydraulic Filter Without Draining Oil? #2  
So I went to change my Hydraulic fluids last night on my B3030. I got everything drained, put one filter on, then realized the dealer gave me one wrong filter. All shops were closed, so I was forced to put the old filter back on. Can I swap the filter without draining the oil? I have about gallon of oil left, so I'm not worried about losing a little fluid in the process.

-Ed

There are two methods, neither are foolproof, and you will lose some fluid. The park it sideways on a steep slope with the filter on the high side method, and the vacuum cleaner operated by a second person method. This is taking a shop vac to the fill inlet port while you swap the filter as quickly as you can. When you break the seal on the filter air will rush into the "tank" which will limit the amount of fluid that would normally rush out of the filter connection. You will get some small amount of fluid into the shop vac, but it wont be much. The key to either method is to work fast and get everything set just so and ready. Total loss should be less than a quart with either method.

James K0UA

/ Changing Hydraulic Filter Without Draining Oil? #3  
Donn't know about the B3030, but on our Grand L tractors, we just get everything ready and do a quick change in our shop without a vacuum and lose about a quart. Be sure to check for magnets and don't leave a gasket on the tractor.

/ Changing Hydraulic Filter Without Draining Oil? #4  
On my BX2660, I changed the hyd. filter with a full box and did not loose more than a few drops of oil. I was expecting it to pour out, but it did not. The fill opening was plugged,

/ Changing Hydraulic Filter Without Draining Oil? #5  
My L45 you will lose about 5 gals when you pull the filters. The shop vac trick works perfect for me, I lose maybe a cup of fluid that is on top of the filter. My shop vac hose fits snuggly in the fill hole so I do not need a second person on the vac.:)

/ Changing Hydraulic Filter Without Draining Oil? #6  
Shop vac tip works awesome (L3130). I lost maybe a cup of fluid total, for both filters. Nothing in the shop vac at all. I wouldn't expect any in the vac unless your fluid is way overfilled. I adapted with a piece of tubing that fit the fill port and some duct tape, IIRC.

/ Changing Hydraulic Filter Without Draining Oil? #7  
On my BX2660, I changed the hyd. filter with a full box and did not loose more than a few drops of oil. I was expecting it to pour out, but it did not. The fill opening was plugged,
This has been my experience on my BX1860 as well. The first time I changed the underside hyd filter I expected to have to take a bath afterward. I had actually planned for a major release of hyd fluid, in terms of having an oil catch pan in place. That was not the case, and as you said only a minor amount of hyd fluid escapes. The tractor was level and the fill caps were in place.

Wrooster

/ Changing Hydraulic Filter Without Draining Oil? #8  
My dealer told me to pull dipstick from fill hole, wrap Saran Wrap around it and re-insert it into place. He said that would seal off any air to the system and filter could be change while loosing very minimal fluid. Haven't done it yet but it makes sense.

/ Changing Hydraulic Filter Without Draining Oil?
Thanks! I put in on a steep slope with the filter I needed to change on the high side. Worked well, but I did lose a decent amount of oil. Maybe a half a quart or so.

/ Changing Hydraulic Filter Without Draining Oil? #10  
I Just tried the Shop Vac Method on my 300 hour trans filter change and it worked great. I had a stepped rubber nozzle from home depot that fit in the fill plug. I sucked up close to a quart into the shop vac (Its well lubricated now :D) and lost very little at the filters. It took about a half gallon to top the trans back off but that was since the last time i filled it. I've lost some hooking and unhooking hydraulic quick connects as well. Overall i give this method a 2 thumbs up. Thanks for the Tip.

I might try pulling the filters next time at the 600 hour oil change and see how much i actually loose if i just pull the filters, I didn't feel like doing that experiment today though.

Regards

There are two methods, neither are foolproof, and you will lose some fluid. The park it sideways on a steep slope with the filter on the high side method, and the vacuum cleaner operated by a second person method. This is taking a shop vac to the fill inlet port while you swap the filter as quickly as you can. When you break the seal on the filter air will rush into the "tank" which will limit the amount of fluid that would normally rush out of the filter connection. You will get some small amount of fluid into the shop vac, but it wont be much. The key to either method is to work fast and get everything set just so and ready. Total loss should be less than a quart with either method.

James K0UA