Thinking of converting my bx1830 MMM anti-scalp wheels to swivel wheels

/ Thinking of converting my bx1830 MMM anti-scalp wheels to swivel wheels #1  

jimmer2880

Platinum Member
Tractor
'05 Kubota BX1830
I've been thinking about putting different wheels on my BX1830 54" MMM. I understand that the deck is designed as a floating deck, so that the wheels aren't supposed to be in constant contact with the ground. However, my yard is anything but smooth. The factory wheels take a real beating. I've been thinking about removing the current wheels, and putting swivel-wheels on it (at least for the front wheels). Something similar to the front wheels on a zero-turn.

Has anyone else thought about doing this?

/ Thinking of converting my bx1830 MMM anti-scalp wheels to swivel wheels #2  
Thought about it once... then realizing the geometry of a swivel assembly that was going to be heavy enough to support anything would Not fit in a space without getting Outside the deck area... it will then just interfere with mowing near any obstacle...

/ Thinking of converting my bx1830 MMM anti-scalp wheels to swivel wheels
I was thinking that also. However, I happend to be at the orange toy dealership for a bolt yesterday and saw these on the front of a Kubota Zero-turn. Now, I'm really interested! I love the simple design.
swivel-wheel.jpg

/ Thinking of converting my bx1830 MMM anti-scalp wheels to swivel wheels #4  
Swivel wheels are a good idea. Spring loaded swivel wheels are even better. That's what Woods puts on their RFM mowers.

/ Thinking of converting my bx1830 MMM anti-scalp wheels to swivel wheels #5  
I wonder if there would be enough room for the wheels to swivel on a BX deck?

I think the kubota wheels I posted would be a simple swap, maybe not even have to modify the deck at all.

The spring loaded swivels sound even better. The woods decks are built like a tank!

/ Thinking of converting my bx1830 MMM anti-scalp wheels to swivel wheels #7  
I think the kubota wheels I posted would be a simple swap, maybe not even have to modify the deck at all.

The spring loaded swivels sound even better. The woods decks are built like a tank!

If the deck is the same on your 1830 as what it is on a 60 or 70 series you could ask your dealer if it would be okay to try a set out of the ZTR in the BX they had on the lot. If it will work you may want to add a grease fitting to the deck of your BX since it looks like the cast pivots in your deck. BTW was the dealer you saw casters at Antietam Tractor?

/ Thinking of converting my bx1830 MMM anti-scalp wheels to swivel wheels #8  
If the deck is the same on your 1830 as what it is on a 60 or 70 series you could ask your dealer if it would be okay to try a set out of the ZTR in the BX they had on the lot. If it will work you may want to add a grease fitting to the deck of your BX since it looks like the cast pivots in your deck. BTW was the dealer you saw casters at Antietam Tractor?

Yes, Antietam Tractor is my local dealer. I don't get there very often, they don't like having to mop my drool up after I visit.