PTO shaft question?

/ PTO shaft question? #1  

dj1701

Platinum Member
Tractor
John Deere 4320, Kubota BX2680
My girlfriend just bought a new Kubota BX with a tiller. She noticed that after using it, the plastic sleeve on the PTO shaft was all chewed up.

My first thought was that the dealer cut the shaft to short. That the plastic sleeve separated when she lowered it to till. When she lifted it up again the two halves smashed together. My question is, with the tiller parallel to the ground (not tilted forward or backwards) Should the plastic sleeve separate when in use? Also could there be any other reason that the plastic guard would be damaged?

Thanks
Dave

P.S. I would not be asking these questions, but I live 1500 miles from her and can not see for myself whats going on.

/ PTO shaft question? #2  
In my opinion, sounds like he cut the shaft too long. There should be at least 1" distance between the two outer shield shafts. Experiment with the tiller, lowering and raising the unit until the shaft is at its shortest point. This is where you want the 1" clearance. There are some good videos on this on You Boob as well as some PFD files on the net.
Running the shaft too long can wreck your PTO, so don't run you tiller until it has been checked out.
Good luck.

/ PTO shaft question? #3  
I would think the cover is too short. If you watch EAs web video on how to cut a pto shaft. They say to cut the shield one inch shorter than the shaft ends to aid in assembly IIRC. When properly fitted there should be no exposed shaft. I would bring it back to the installing dealer for warranty. They may have left a raw edge on the shield end the burrs wore through and damaged the outer shield.....pure speculation without pictures.

/ PTO shaft question?
I have not seen it in action, but from what she tells me, the sheild ends come apart when the tiller is all the way down and tilling.

/ PTO shaft question? #6  
Just like Yelbike, it seems too short since the shields came apart when lowered but then jammed the steel ends together when raised and lowered again. And it seems like it's a dealer problem for the fix.

/ PTO shaft question? #7  
I have not seen it in action, but from what she tells me, the sheild ends come apart when the tiller is all the way down and tilling.
^^^ That is everything you need to know right there.

BTW: the above also *may* indicate that the PTO inner & outer shafts are too short as well; if there isn't enough overlap between them eventually the two halves are going to come apart, and as you are probably very much aware that situation DOES NOT END WELL for the PTO housing and/or PTO gearset.

Wrooster