HELP! My Backhoe won't swing left!

/ HELP! My Backhoe won't swing left! #1  

avc8130

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L45
So I brought my L45 out this morning to move a trailer, and I went to swing the backhoe "left" and I get NOTHING. Right seems to work fine, but left doesn't move.

I did some diagnostics:

1. When the valve is in neutral I cannot push the hoe left or right by hand.
2. When the valve is in "left" I can push the hoe left by hand.

When I operate the valve left, I don't hear anything. When I operate it right it loads the engine and the normal sounds occur.

The hoe worked perfectly 2 weekends ago to dig a grave for one of our goats, but my buddy who is an operator by profession put the swing lock back in after doing the job. I don't normally do that as I swing the hoe sideways in the garage to save space. When I started the machine a few days ago I operated the swing a bit before I realized the locking pin was in.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

ac

/ HELP! My Backhoe won't swing left! #2  
Are left and right separate cylinders ?

If so, almost sounds like that cylinders piston de-nutted ?

/ HELP! My Backhoe won't swing left! #4  
I know a piston de-nutting sounds like a long shot but with you being able to manually move it.....

Wonder if you could loose enough piston seal to create the same ?

/ HELP! My Backhoe won't swing left!
   / HELP! My Backhoe won't swing left! #6  
These are 2 hose cylinders ?, each one has 2 hoses ?

/ HELP! My Backhoe won't swing left!
"FIXED"!

I don't know why/how, but I did what that thread said. I put the stabilizer down on the right side all the way. I brought rpms up to PTO speed. I extended the hoe so it was reaching about 50% max. Then I operated the valve right under power and let it return under gravity. By the 3rd cycle it was returning under power. It SEEMS normal now. Both left and right have the same speed.

I don't know, maybe a relief valve just hung up a bit?

ac

/ HELP! My Backhoe won't swing left! #10  
"FIXED"!

I don't know why/how, but I did what that thread said. I put the stabilizer down on the right side all the way. I brought rpms up to PTO speed. I extended the hoe so it was reaching about 50% max. Then I operated the valve right under power and let it return under gravity. By the 3rd cycle it was returning under power. It SEEMS normal now. Both left and right have the same speed.
I don't know, maybe a relief valve just hung up a bit?
ac

Hello ac. I was just about to send you the link when I saw that you had found it.
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/k...t-but-not.html

I'm glad it worked for you and hear the same trick has now worked for several other owners of M59s and L48s.
And yeah....I'm still marveling at the pure dumb luck that caused me to try doing that in the first place!
Nobody has figured out for sure what causes it. Your idea of something stuck in the relief valve seems as good as any. Maybe letting the boom move under gravity back-flushes the relief valve..... Sounds logical.

Mine was like yours, the control felt perfectly normal but moving it didn't do anything. Not even the slightest vibration, feel, or sound. And when it started working again it just started like nothing ever happened. Nor has it happened since.
Better to be lucky than smart,
rScotty