BX24 Front axle seal leaking

/ BX24 Front axle seal leaking #1  

dougtrr2

Platinum Member
Tractor
BX24
The right front seal has started seeping on my BX24. It had leaked a little last year and then stopped but it is back. It seems to be leaking at the point where the assembly turns to turn the front wheel. How tough is it to dismantle the axle and replace the seal? I am reasonably mechanically inclined and have a fair assortment of standard tool. At first glance it is not clear how you get to the seal. I am afraid of opening it up and then finding I need specialty tools to get it the rest of the way apart. Any advice and diagrams would be appreciated.

Take Care,
Doug in SW IA

/ BX24 Front axle seal leaking #2  
One other thought to consider, it might be cracked. My BX23 has had both leaking due to being cracked and that was realized after having both seals replaced, my dealer did the work. Do a search, I not sure if it is a big job that requires anything special and check with Messicks.com and I believe they will send you via e-mail a parts sheet breakdown for your machine.

/ BX24 Front axle seal leaking #3  
How tough is it to dismantle the axle and replace the seal?... Any advice and diagrams would be appreciated.

I have done a couple; it requires a few hours of work with non-specialized tools. I suggest that you download the parts list for the BX24, and consult pages 85 and 86. There you will see the parts (part #70 is the seal) that you need to order, as well as the manner in which the parts are assembled. You will need also to get some RTV silicone to create a seal on the front gear case during reassembly.

/ BX24 Front axle seal leaking #4  
Did both of mine when one side started leaking. Not hard...took a couple of hours.

/ BX24 Front axle seal leaking #5  
I don't know if this interests you or not. I had this trouble a couple of years ago with my BX23. The manual for the BX23 states that the lubricant for the front axle on the BX23 can be "KUBOTA SUPER UDT fluid" or "SAE 80-SAE90 gear oil". I changed from the UDT fluid to the SAE 80 gear oil and it hasn't leaked since.
A. Metcalf

/ BX24 Front axle seal leaking
Thanks for the input. I successfully changed the seal this weekend. Just a few glitches. Had to buy new larger snap ring pliers. Could not get the tie rod to break free so I left it connected. That did not seem to really hinder the process. Didn't realize at first that the metal part of the old seal stayed attached. Once I figured that out it went back together fairly easy. The biggest issue was one bearing inside the casting came out. I had a hard time getting it back it as it was deep inside and at the end of my finger tips. I could get it started and then it would get cocked and wouldn't go any farther. Finally concocted a "press" using a carriage bolt and disc of wood to pull it back it place. I only did one side but won't hesitate to do the other, but may consider the 80wt gear oil.

Take Care,
Doug in SW IA

/ BX24 Front axle seal leaking #7  
Didn't realize at first that the metal part of the old seal stayed attached. Once I figured that out it went back together fairly easy.
Take Care,
Doug in SW IA

The seals I bought came with the new wear sleaves...I removed the old metal sleeva and pressed on ne ones.