BX BH Thumb worth it?

/ BX BH Thumb worth it? #1  

sea2summit

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota 1860->25D, MX5800, M4D
Probably going to upgrade little orange (aka 1860) for bigger little orange (aka 25D).

Question for you pro's is that mechanical thumb worth it or just a gimmick? I've always lived thumbs on backhoes but don't know if I'd just get frustrated with a mechanical thumb or if it would be useful.

/ BX BH Thumb worth it? #2  
I have one pn my 1026r and it is useful but I prefer a grapple on the loader because the hoe has a very low lifting weight capacity and range of motion. You can't load a trailer with it :-(

/ BX BH Thumb worth it? #3  
I have a thumb on my b2920 and find it useful. It does take a bit of skill to master using it. My main uses have been moving rocks and wood. I used it to rebuild a stone wall with huge rocks. I also have used it to move and stack logs though its not super efficient...

/ BX BH Thumb worth it? #4  
Probably going to upgrade little orange (aka 1860) for bigger little orange (aka 25D).

Question for you pro's is that mechanical thumb worth it or just a gimmick? I've always lived thumbs on backhoes but don't know if I'd just get frustrated with a mechanical thumb or if it would be useful.

Well I'm not a pro but I find the thumb useful for picking up trees, stumps, and rock that you dig up.

Sent from my iPad using TractorByNet

/ BX BH Thumb worth it? #5  
If you can afford it, upgrade to a hydraulic thumb. I have Bradco's fixed thumb on my Bradco 511 and it is easy to stow or deploy, but kinda heavy. I was going hydraulic, but have a loader grapple now, so the hyd. thumb is out on the Mahindra. Either way, a thumb has uses where a loader can't reach. Like the bottom of my gully.
hugs, Brandi

/ BX BH Thumb worth it?
If you can afford it, upgrade to a hydraulic thumb. I have Bradco's fixed thumb on my Bradco 511 and it is easy to stow or deploy, but kinda heavy. I was going hydraulic, but have a loader grapple now, so the hyd. thumb is out on the Mahindra. Either way, a thumb has uses where a loader can't reach. Like the bottom of my gully.
hugs, Brandi

Love hydrolic thumbs....have to look at some kits.

/ BX BH Thumb worth it? #7  
I like and use my mechanical thumb. I could live without it but it came with the machine so it's there for lifting stumps and rocks.

/ BX BH Thumb worth it? #8  
Well I'm no pro so maybe I shouldn't even be posting this ;)

I got the mechanical thumb on our BX25D and love it. Yes I'll be converting it to a hydraulic thumb this coming winter when the tractor gets put away for its long winters nap but the thumb is a very useful item to have. Hard grabbing a stump and moving it without it.

79efda7e8a54f44bb6ba6e1ba422bd4d_zpsd1c0e310.jpg

da82ffda7fd92a23e0bd1a824142135c_zpsab557288.jpg

86426384da05a0eca1411aadcb2aa9f1_zps0c210427.jpg

15085d42eccbb3f23ef851b62f4c7281_zpse134baff.jpg

/ BX BH Thumb worth it? #9  
I have a mechanical thumb on my BH90x and find it cumbersome so don't use it much. I'd use it much more I'd it were hydraulic. If I were doing it over I'd just get the hydraulic if budget allowed or use a FEL grapple. The one instance where a mechanical thumb would be worthwhile IMO is for building a stone wall.

/ BX BH Thumb worth it?
Well I'm no pro so maybe I shouldn't even be posting this ;)

I got the mechanical thumb on our BX25D and love it. Yes I'll be converting it to a hydraulic thumb this coming winter when the tractor gets put away for its long winters nap but the thumb is a very useful item to have. Hard grabbing a stump and moving it without it.

Don't you already have a 50+ page thread of your own that made me decide I had upgrade:drool: When you done with any of your "gen one" add on's I think I have some space for them so they aren't in the way of gen two stuff:cool2: